PDA

View Full Version : Any ghost towns got an electrical plug?

GaryB
02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Interesting read on new "Green" ATV's. While I really like the idea of a diesel ATV (lets add a Banks system and propane injection!) I don't see electric ATV's being popular among the heavy user crowd.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=445275&topart=pickups

LauraA
02-05-2008, 12:51 PM
With only two hours of heavy use per charge, I can't imagine what good it would be? That's enough time to get you there, and I suppose the energy savings would be the manpower used to push it back home. :rolleyes:

Goat
02-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes, Yes...Finally the global warming issue is solved with the advent of the electric ATV! The Sierra Club WAS right!:D

bad bob
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
With only two hours of heavy use per charge, I can't imagine what good it would be? That's enough time to get you there, and I suppose the energy savings would be the manpower used to push it back home. :rolleyes:

You could push it I guess, but wouldn't it be much easier to just take along a 50 mile extension cord.
:D

GaryB
02-06-2008, 07:38 AM
You could push it I guess, but wouldn't it be much easier to just take along a 50 mile extension cord.
:D

You might be on to something. Just take along a generator and strap it on the back- mobile charging system :D

Of course, the generator might throw a wrench in the whole enviro-friendly approach :confused:

Reed
02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
A solar battery charger might work if you were doing an overnight camp. Drive in, let it sit and charge all day, drive out the next day.

danbo
02-07-2008, 06:40 AM
I saw a comedian making fun of
the greenies and electric cars.
He asked the question, "where do they think the electricity comes from? Magic?" :rolleyes:

GaryB
02-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I saw a comedian making fun of
the greenies and electric cars.
He asked the question, "where do they think the electricity comes from? Magic?" :rolleyes:

Yeah, I always ask that too. More electricity means more polution in some form, and a new car usually puts out less polution than what it'd take to charge the vehicle.

The only thing I like about electrical cars is the less need for oil. But even that has a catch.

I'll get excited when they sell a car that runs on water. I read a joke where a guy said that two guys and a case of beer could get them across the US by filling the car up with....well I'll let you guess. ;)

bad bob
02-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I always ask that too. More electricity means more polution in some form, and a new car usually puts out less polution than what it'd take to charge the vehicle.

The only thing I like about electrical cars is the less need for oil. But even that has a catch.

I'll get excited when they sell a car that runs on water. I read a joke where a guy said that two guys and a case of beer could get them across the US by filling the car up with....well I'll let you guess. ;)

Hmmmm... can't think of wh....!

bad bob
02-07-2008, 01:12 PM

But on the other hand....

Reed
02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Hey now, don't be too quick to make fun of altrnative methods of transport:

www.theaircar.com (http://www.theaircar.com)

That air powered car is definitely viable, and electric veihcle have proven viable for short trips.

Again, I say solar, wind, and hydroelectric powered chargers combined with electric motors is the way to go. Instead of gas stations have battery stations...

Gravelrash
02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Of course, the generator might throw a wrench in the whole enviro-friendly approach :confused:

Where do I sign up, Gary? I'm all for upsetting as many eco-freaks as I can!:rolleyes:

LauraA
02-08-2008, 05:14 AM
Again, I say solar, wind, and hydroelectric powered chargers combined with electric motors is the way to go. Instead of gas stations have battery stations...

Uh huh, that's the way to go. On cloudy days in the desert, we can wait 'til the sun comes out in a few days so our batteries recharge and get us another couple of miles. :rolleyes:
Those dang solar chargers can't even keep my yard lights charged on cloudy days, I'd hate to depend on them to get me to and from the places I want to explore.

LauraA
02-08-2008, 05:45 AM
Where do I sign up, Gary? I'm all for upsetting as many eco-freaks as I can!:rolleyes:

This seems like an appropriate place to insert this one...:D

God and the Environmentalists

IN THE BEGINNING, GOD CREATED HEAVEN AND EARTH...
He was then faced with a class action lawsuit for failing to file an environmental impact statement from HEPA (Heavenly Environmental Protection Agency), an angelically staffed agency dedicated to keeping the universe pollution free.

God was granted a temporary permit for the heavenly portion of the project, but was issued a cease and desist order on the earthly portion of the project, pending further investigation by HEPA. Upon completion of His construction permit and environmental impact statement, God appeared before HEPA council to answer some questions. When asked why He began these projects in the first place, He simply replied that He liked to be creative. This was not considered an adequate reason and He was required to substantiate this further.

HEPA was unable to see any practical use for earth anyway, since "the earth was void and empty and darkness was on the face of the deep." Then God said, "Let there be Light."

He should never have brought up this point, since one member of the Council was active in the Sierrangel Club and immediately protested, asking how the Light was to be made. Would there be strip mining? Air Pollution? God explained that the Light would come from a huge ball of fire.

Nobody on the council really understood this, but it was provisionally accepted, assuming 1) that there would be no smog or smoke resulting from the burning; 2) a separate burning permit would be required; and 3) since continuous light would be a waste of energy, it should be dark half of the time. So God agreed to divide the Light and the Darkness and He would call the Light Day and the Darkness Night. (The Council expressed no interest in in-house semantics.)

When asked how the earth would be covered, God said, "Let there be firmament made amidst the waters; and let it divide the waters from the waters." One ecologically radical Council member accused Him of double talk, but the Council tabled action since God would have to first file for a permit from the ABLM (Angelic Bureau of Land Management) and further would be required to
obtain water permits from the appropriate agencies involved.

The council asked if there would only be water and firmament, and God said, "Let the earth bring forth the green herb, and such as may seed, and the fruit tree yielding after its own kind, which may have seen itself upon the earth." The Council agreed as long as native seed would be used. About future development God also said, "Let the waters bring forth the creeping creature having life, and the fowl that may fly over the earth." Here again, the Council took no formal action since this would require approval of the Fish and Game Commission coordinated with the Heavenly Wildlife Federation and the Audobonangelic Society.

It then appeared the everything was in order until God stated that He wanted to complete the project in six days. At this time He was advised by the Council that his timing was was completely out of the question...HEPA would require a minimum of 180 days to review the application and environmental impact statement, and then there would be public hearings. It would take 10 to 12 months before a permit would be granted.

God said, "To H e l l with it!"

danbo
02-08-2008, 06:28 AM
I think REED is right concerning hydro electric. I have a Jeep'n buddy who's
all fired up on electric cars. He pointed out that trains have been pulling a
gazzillion tons of freight with electric motors for decades. Of course they
bring along their own diesel generators too. But ya, that falling water in the west
is free power. Unfortunately the folks in the east and midwest have to burn
coal or uranium to make power. I read that battery tech
has taken a major leap forward this year also.

Salmon? Nuclear waste? Safety?
[fingers in ears] la la la la la la:D

sbruce
03-03-2008, 03:16 PM
It's funny how global warming pushes so many emotional buttons. :p Maybe its all those wind generators around Joshua Tree despoiling the environment making people mad... or maybe its the thought of publicly subsidized Big Oil companies going broke which upsets people - ? who knows. :rolleyes: