PDA

View Full Version : GaryB, Book Category?

LauraA
02-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Gary, There was some talk here a while ago about the possibility of creating a new category for folks interested in Ghost Town reading, a specific place to post books and resources. I'm sure most of us have our own private stock of good reading and would be happy to share the list with others. Any luck with that?

Bob
02-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Gary, There was some talk here a while ago about the possibility of creating a new category for folks interested in Ghost Town reading, a specific place to post books and resources. I'm sure most of us have our own private stock of good reading and would be happy to share the list with others. Any luck with that?

Hi Laura

I'm also interested such section but am more in the nature of exchanging information and notes. When I have time I scan "out-of-Copyright" stuff into PDF which is a great way of exchanging information. I also love to find "clues" and share em with the hope others have stumbled onto something like them. I do have a pretty good library as well :)

--bob

LauraA
02-29-2008, 04:40 AM
Well Bob, It doesn't look like there's much interest in this, we're not exactly being flooded with replies to this post. :o
I still think it would be a good idea, perhaps a "research" category, with books listed as well as good reference materials like those you mentioned.

campp
02-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Well Bob, It doesn't look like there's much interest in this, we're not exactly being flooded with replies to this post. :o
I still think it would be a good idea, perhaps a "research" category, with books listed as well as good reference materials like those you mentioned.

This would be a great resource! A sticky thread could handle this I would think?
I have a few old books and things that are useful. Sadly, I sold my topos when I left AZ in 1979.

bad bob
02-29-2008, 06:40 PM
This would be a great resource! A sticky thread could handle this I would think?
I have a few old books and things that are useful. Sadly, I sold my topos when I left AZ in 1979.

Recommend not "throwing in the towel" just yet. Sometimes these things have to fester, boil, cool, reheat, and be run thru the mill, b4 edible. :)

RockHounder55
03-01-2008, 06:02 AM
Let me jump in with my support. I'd love to see a separate category for books and any kind of reference material.

tbutler
03-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Good idea, but it would be even better to have a section on each town page of ghosttowns.com for links, documents & other user submitted resources (as well as letting registered users directly upload photos). There could be a few admins responsible for "approving" content before it is displayed to the public, as well as a few measures in place to prevent spam.

Another nice feature would be a disable audio option on the homepage! :)

If there's enough interest I could help put something like this together.

bad bob
03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Gt.com posted a disable tool for the banjo music after someone else asked about it. IIRC, it's a few pages back in this category.

GaryB
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
To be honest, I got busy and forgot. I PM'd Todd about it to see if he's game.

Likely just a sticky thread in one of the "Getting There" forums would suffice since it is supposed to be related to GPS and maps, etc.

I just wanted to have a sticky so we wouldn't have to search for it constantly. Also to be easier for new members to find.

Bob
03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I am ready to start this and will go post a mystery maybe we can get some information on in the a getting there section. I could scan a portion (Must stay within any fair copyright use of such maps) of some early maps so others could see what I'm referring to. Look for a post called "Forks Road" Any help fellow ghosttowners?

Tsarevna
04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I like the idea, I just havn't been online much as my wrist injury pain comes and goes. :(

Feedback on wether books are worth buying or not is awesome too.
Sometimes a book is worth it for the pictures, other times it's worth it for the info.
It's good to point out stengths and weaknesses of them.

LauraA
04-08-2008, 04:17 AM
OUCH! So sorry to hear about your wrist injury :( Hope it's feeling better soon.
GaryB made a sticky in the "Getting There" category regarding the reference materials, here's the link. Enjoy!

Ghost Town & Historical reference books - Ghosttowns.com Forums (http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?t=15983)