PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Ghost Towns

Ghostdancer
03-02-2008, 01:55 PM
There are a number of settlements which are now underwater. Alamo Crossing in Arizona is one and there is one under Lake Powell, but can't think of the name off hand.

I just discovered that beneath Fools Hollow Lake in Show Low, Arizona is the one time settlement of Adair. (http://home.att.net/%7Eedwardholliday/foolshollow.html)

Just wondered how many others there are in the country that are now submerged.

Tom

Paladin
03-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Roosevelt, Idaho. I haven't been there yet, but the majority is submerged.
Refer to Valley County, Idaho on the "select a State" feature of this website.

LauraA
03-02-2008, 03:35 PM
The original town of Roosevelt, Arizona is under Roosevelt Lake, it was flooded in 1910 when the dam was completed. There were several buildings along with the post offce left in place to flood.
Parts of the town of Livingston are also under Roosevelt Lake, although when the lake levels are down, very little remains to be seen of it.
The original town of San Carlos is under water, submerged when Coolidge Dam was built in 1930. We've seen just a few foundations remaining when the water level there is down.

GaryB
03-02-2008, 05:02 PM
St. Thomas was under Lake Mead, but due to the low lake levels it has resurfaced. In fact, there are numerous sites under lakes Mead and Mojave in NV that were early river boat stops, or stage/immigrant stops.

HollyDolly
03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
;) When they built Canyon Dam on the Guadalupe River in Comal county,north of New Braunfels,there were a couple of towns now under Canyon Lake.One is Crain's Mill,and i forget the name of the other one.
If you look at photos of Canyon Lake here in Texas,you can see roads going down into the lake.
I don't recall any thing about any towns under Medina Lake in Medina County,west of San Antonio.
There are several old towns that are long gone.Like Demi John Bend,so named for a bend in the Guadalupe River.The road leading to the place is still there,but the area is now a ranch.Wasp Creek, Rebecca Creek and several others are long gone.
The town of Callhan at Choke Canyon is under water,at least parts of it are I believe.Though most of the town moved.
And at I think Falcon Lake west of here,there is the old Mexican town of Guerra that sometimes pops up when the lake waters are low.

Bonneville Mariner
03-04-2008, 07:34 AM
In Utah...

The old town of Connellsville is under Electric Lake. I drove past the lake shortly after a recent drainage of it, but it wasn't completely drained and I couldn't see the tops of any building or structure.

The mining town of Hite is under Lake Powell.

The town of Rockport is under Rockport Reservoir.

The ghost town of Thistle is mostly underwater. The top halves of buildings are visible still, and I've always wondered what it would be like to take SCUBA gear and explore the town. Not sure you could do that in Thistle as the water is too murky.

Bonneville Mariner
03-04-2008, 07:38 AM
I just found a website that lists underwater towns by state. Pretty cool.

Drowned Towns (http://www.waterborolibrary.org/oldsite/mystlists/drownedtowns.htm)

ghost_town_huntress
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
I used to know the name of the one under Lake Powell but I'm drawing a blank right now. There's an old town by the name of Deer Creek that's submerged under Tibble Fork Reservoir and Connelsville under Electric Lake here in Utah, those are just a couple I can think of right off hand. Oh, and I can't forget Thistle, up Spanish Fork Canyon. A landslide that happened back in the 1980's caused that entire town to be submerged; it's one of the newer ghost towns. There are only a few buildings that escaped the water.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Mikejts
03-06-2008, 05:33 PM
So how do you plan to explore them? :)

scuba diving? Underwater cameras?

Pikes Peak City is under Chatfield resevoir

ghostsofnorthdakota
03-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Old Sanish, North Dakota has recently re-emerged from Lake Sakakawea due to low water levels. We stumbled onto it and took some pictures a couples summers ago.

Check out our site, go to photo galleries and click on the Old Sanish gallery.

http://www.ghostsofnorthdakota.com

Rockcrusher
03-30-2008, 11:57 AM
There are several sites in Northern CA

Negro Bar under Lake Natoma

Mormon Island and Rattlesnake Bar under Folsom Lake

Additionally, there are probably 30 to 40 old mining camps under Folsom Lake.

Tsarevna
04-06-2008, 05:14 AM
Hey Crusher, (speaking of northern california) you know what the name of the town was under Lake Almanor?

The lake is only 90' deep at it's deepest places. The locals said they could still see sunlight reflecting off the old tin roofs of the buildings underwater, and a few different times my father said he found stange radar readings on the fish-finder.

He thought they could have been buildings or foundations.

I know there's a graveyard they had to move for the town to higher ground.

Also, Bayocean in Oregon (Tillamook county) was re-claimed by the ocean. The pennensula it was built on apparantly lacked sea-walls, and the sand eroded after a series of storms, undermining the buildings. Today the pennensula is thinner, but home to a bird sanctuary.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/or/bayocean.html

Rockcrusher
04-06-2008, 05:52 AM
I don't know much about that neighborhood. I found this in the Wikipedia article on Lake Almanor . . .

The present dam was constructed by Great Western Power, from 1926 to 1927, damming the North Fork of the Feather River (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feather_River) and flooding the meadow-filled valley generally known as Big Springs. In the process, parts of the town of Prattville (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prattville) had to be moved to higher ground, while some structures were flooded over.

caver
04-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Utah, The Hoskannini or Stanton Dredge is under Lake Powell near halls Crossing. It's actually a POI in Garmin/Topo.

Tsarevna
04-07-2008, 04:01 AM
I don't know much about that neighborhood. I found this in the Wikipedia article on Lake Almanor . . .

Awesome! Back when I was trying to research this 1 year ago the wiki article was a stub. I'm glad to see somebody is giving it attention.

If you could stand the cold water, I bet scuba diving that lake could reveal some neat things. It's all ice-melt up there tho, brrrr!

Rockcrusher
04-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I recently ran across an old article (1951) about a site east of Las Vegas variously known as Call's Landing, Callville and/or Fort Callville.

Apparently, it was the head of steam navigation on the lower Colorado River and is now under the water's of Lake Mead.

More research to follow . . .

GS-RON
04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Awesome! Back when I was trying to research this 1 year ago the wiki article was a stub. I'm glad to see somebody is giving it attention.

If you could stand the cold water, I bet scuba diving that lake could reveal some neat things. It's all ice-melt up there tho, brrrr!

25ish years ago a friend of mine told me about the "ruins" under Lake Almanure (Almanure comes from the early/mid 1900s when the sewer chunks from Chester on the lake were thick enough to walk on) and suggested we dive on the spot. Late in that summer when the lake was low we were able to get to some of the old foundations w/o scuba. Both of us were avid AB divers so 20 to 30 foot dives were a breeze. Also the lake isn't all that cold late in the year since it's not very deep and warms up quickly. There isn't much there just stone and concrete work covered in slime and sediment.... RON

PS taking a "drive about" the first weekend in June through western NV. Will be stopping in Tonopah, Gabbs, Berlin, Belmont, Bodie, Navy Beach at Mono Lake and several other fun spots.

Tsarevna
04-08-2008, 05:33 PM
25ish years ago a friend of mine told me about the "ruins" under Lake Almanure (Almanure comes from the early/mid 1900s when the sewer chunks from Chester on the lake were thick enough to walk on) and suggested we dive on the spot. Late in that summer when the lake was low we were able to get to some of the old foundations w/o scuba. Both of us were avid AB divers so 20 to 30 foot dives were a breeze. Also the lake isn't all that cold late in the year since it's not very deep and warms up quickly. There isn't much there just stone and concrete work covered in slime and sediment.... RON

PS taking a "drive about" the first weekend in June through western NV. Will be stopping in Tonopah, Gabbs, Berlin, Belmont, Bodie, Navy Beach at Mono Lake and several other fun spots.

Wow! What part of the lake are the ruins located in?

And there's got to be plenty of artifacts down there.

One day I saw a kid skipping rocks on Almanor Lake's shore. I started skipping rocks too with him. Suddenly he threw his arm out and retracted it, not letting to of his rock. He looked at the palm of his hand and just stared.

Apparantly, he picked up a stone without looking at it, and it was "too flat." He almost tossed it! It was a gold peice. :eek:

I didn't know the kid, he just ran off to probably tell everybody and his folks about it. I searched ALL around for another but, of course, none were to be found.

Also, near Shasta, there was a Whiskeytown, now under Whiskeytown lake.

Rockcrusher
04-09-2008, 02:36 AM
. . . PS taking a "drive about" the first weekend in June through western NV. Will be stopping in Tonopah, Gabbs, Berlin, Belmont, Bodie, Navy Beach at Mono Lake and several other fun spots.

We'll be making a similar 4WD trip around Memorial Day. Bodie to Wendover all on dirt roads.

GS-RON
04-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Wow! What part of the lake are the ruins located in?

And there's got to be plenty of artifacts down there.

Also, near Shasta, there was a Whiskeytown, now under Whiskeytown lake.

We were probably 100 yards off the dock near Plumas Pines. From what I've heard the old town that was covered by the lake is near the Dam.

If I remember right (seldom happens at my age) I have an old map that shows the area before the dam was built. I'll try and dig it up the eve and see if it shows anything fun. I know I have a few maps that show the area east and north of Quincy Ca before Davis Lake was there.

We were probably diving on an old ranch site or house. There was just a couple of foundations and such. Fiding any artifacts would be tough due to the silt being stirred up anytime you touch the bottom.

I still take a mask, snorkle and a pair of gloves up there every summer. It's fun to paddle around the shallows turning over rocks and catching crawdads for dinner.

GS-RON
04-09-2008, 06:33 AM
We'll be making a similar 4WD trip around Memorial Day. Bodie to Wendover all on dirt roads.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here but..........

Don't miss Berlin and Ichthyosoar sp? State Prk, Ophir (don't try to drive over the summit west to east it's ugly on a dirt bike), Belmont (stay at the B&B if schedules permit. It's in the old stage stop IIRC), Manhatten is another fun spot.

My boss and a few friends have ridden thier dirt bikes (dirt only) from Reno to Ely a few times.

Also read up on the Reese River Steamboat Co. and then look at the Reese River when you cross it. You will get a good laugh out of that one....

DirtyDog
04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Up in SE Idaho near the Wyoming border is a reservoir on the South Fork of the Snake River known as Palisades. At the upper end are 2 old gold camps, now flooded ghost towns of Alpine and Blow-Out.

Also, I read about Roosevelt, Idaho in the GT forum. It was up and running when a major landslide from Thunder Mountain blocked the Thunder Mtn Creek. The townspeople had little time to clear out. In the 1970s scuba divers were bringing up full bottles of whiskey and other artifacts. The USFS patrols it and it is against the law. A FS Road runs nearby. The article on GT indicated it was in the Boise Basin, but it isn't. It's due East of McCall in Central Idaho within the Boise Natl Forest.

ghamilton
04-24-2008, 04:45 PM
In an old issue of the ROANOKE HISTORICAL SOCIETY quarterly,there is an article about the quaint settlement NE of Roanoke that now lies beneath the waters of CARVINS COVE lake.The article includes pictures of church,school,homes,people.The valley-or cove ,was a beautiful place of close-knit,isolated people that lived a relatively happy life away from the sorta-big city.