PDA

View Full Version : What type of vehicle gets you there?

Pages : [1] 2

brian10x
03-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Just an informal poll to break the boredom. Since becoming a member here, I've had a VW Baja Bug, replaced by a Kawasaki ATV, replaced by a Suzuki Samurai, replaced by a Jeep Cherokee, and now a Ford Bronco.

What takes you to ghost towns?

Brian

Fairlane500
03-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, back when I was out west before heading to school, I had quite the unusual ghost-towner.

Navigating the old dirt logging roads of the Pacific Northwest, along with just the general backroads, I drove a 1962 Ford Fairlane 500, which encountered sticky situations once or twice, but never left me stranded.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6041/imgp1559lw2.jpg

Rockcrusher
03-23-2008, 06:29 PM
'69 Ford F100 Short Wheelbase 4X4.

I just decommissioned the '68 Jeepster . . . Too many Rubicon trips.

brian10x
03-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, back when I was out west before heading to school, I had quite the unusual ghost-towner.

Navigating the old dirt logging roads of the Pacific Northwest, along with just the general backroads, I drove a 1962 Ford Fairlane 500, which encountered sticky situations once or twice, but never left me stranded.

WOW! The first thought I got was what a cool hotrod that would make! A 427 and a hood bubble, and it would look a lot like the legendary "Thunderbolt" Fairlanes.

bad bob
03-23-2008, 11:26 PM
WOW! The first thought I got was what a cool hotrod that would make! A 427 and a hood bubble, and it would look a lot like the legendary "Thunderbolt" Fairlanes.

Well Brian, Nice of you to ask. I'm just driving a 98 Tahoe now, emerald green. Haven't been able to get out with it yet.
Before that I used my red 77 GMC Van to go on all of my gt'ing excursions.

Here's photos of both vehicles.

brian10x
03-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Well Brian, Nice of you to ask. I'm just driving a 98 Tahoe now, emerald green. Haven't been able to get out with it yet.
Before that I used my red 77 GMC Van to go on all of my gt'ing excursions.

Here's photos of both vehicles.

That must be an early 77' GMC, eh?

Seriously, a huge 2wd van out in the desert? You, sir, are a brave soul.

speedy
03-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Wife and I ghosttown on a Harley Ultra Classic......Speedy

Kelly
03-24-2008, 05:52 AM
1994 Toyota 4X4

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/krtoydriver/000_00451.jpg

brian10x
03-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Wife and I ghosttown on a Harley Ultra Classic......Speedy

Hellofa dirtbike, that one.

LauraA
03-24-2008, 06:08 AM
'97 TJ....after breaking three out of four motor mounts on our old Corolla, we decided it might be time to step up.
The Wrangler is pretty much stock, except for skids, 30" ATs, Rancho 5000 shocks and a Rancho steering stabilizer. If the Jeep doesn't go where we want, we walk.

Old Peep's Jeep

brian10x
03-24-2008, 06:09 AM
1994 Toyota 4X4

Ahhh, the gold standard of reliability. I've always wanted one.

brian10x
03-24-2008, 06:12 AM
[quote=LauraA;31466]'97 TJ....after breaking three out of four motor mounts on our old Corolla, we decided it might be time to step up.
The Wrangler is pretty much stock, except for skids, 30" ATs, Rancho 5000 shocks and a Rancho steering stabilizer. If the Jeep doesn't go where we want, we walk.

Old Peep's Jeep

And after 6 decades, no one has come up with a more nimble or capable 4wd.

danbo
03-24-2008, 07:09 AM
2004 TJ ( ruby).

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/Danbo_03/Rubyatclayton.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/Danbo_03/owyheerockscrop.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/Danbo_03/flint/Flintmillweb.jpg

tbutler
03-24-2008, 10:16 AM
My '03 XTerra, this bad boy's never let me down. Hopefully will be getting some upgrades this summer. Photo taken at Stibnite, ID

http://lh4.google.com/thomas.a.butler/RfdMZHwQlYI/AAAAAAAAATA/O9Vq7s26S_U/s400/DSCF0022.JPG.jpg%22 (http://picasaweb.google.com/thomas.a.butler/McCallLouieLakeThunderMountain/photo#5041582302326461826)

bad bob
03-24-2008, 10:38 AM
That must be an early 77' GMC, eh?

Seriously, a huge 2wd van out in the desert? You, sir, are a brave soul.

Neither brave nor crazy ... wait strike that Ok...I am a bit lunar... but the closest I ever got to desert was the 17 miles of washboard dirt road between US 395 and Bodie, CA. :o

Paladin
03-24-2008, 02:17 PM
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 w/ mighty Cummins Turbo Diesel!Once the going gets rough, my '07 Yamaha Grizzly 700. :D

brian10x
03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
[quote=danbo;31470]2004 TJ ( ruby).

Ahh, Wrangler Rubicons. I envy you. Locking differentials, top shelf Goodyears, all the good stuff. I hope Laura don't see this post.

brian10x
03-24-2008, 02:45 PM
My '03 XTerra, this bad boy's never let me down. Hopefully will be getting some upgrades this summer. Photo taken at Stibnite, ID

I've had several Nissan trucks. never let me down either.

brian10x
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 w/ mighty Cummins Turbo Diesel!Once the going gets rough, my '07 Yamaha Grizzly 700. :D

I myself own a 3500 Cummins/Dodge. This one is 2wd, but I've had one in 4wd.

Quite possibly one of the greatest engines on earth, but by God, the sum***** is HEAVY! I was too afraid of digging my own sinkhole when I owned one.

LauraA
03-25-2008, 05:30 AM
[quote=danbo;31470]2004 TJ ( ruby).
Ahh, Wrangler Rubicons. I envy you. Locking differentials, top shelf Goodyears, all the good stuff. I hope Laura don't see this post.

Uh huh I'd like to have one of those too, trail ready right from the manufacturer but it's okay Brian, you've seen the places our Old Peep's Jeep can go, it works for us.;)

brian10x
03-25-2008, 06:34 AM
[quote=brian10x;31480]

Uh huh I'd like to have one of those too, trail ready right from the manufacturer but it's okay Brian, you've seen the places our Old Peep's Jeep can go, it works for us.;)

There's this collection of employees from an oldies radio station http://www.oldiesmusicradio.com/

that have been bulding and using the crappiest vehicles you will ever see to explore the desert. The web site makes interesting reading. Believe it or not, this is one of their "cheep jeeps".

Update: It looks like they stopped using "cheep jeeps" a few years ago. Still an interesting read.

Paladin
03-25-2008, 04:55 PM
I myself own a 3500 Cummins/Dodge. This one is 2wd, but I've had one in 4wd.

Quite possibly one of the greatest engines on earth, but by God, the sum***** is HEAVY! I was too afraid of digging my own sinkhole when I owned one.

Yes, it is a heavy s.o.b.! Definately is the best turbo diesel in a pick-up. Mine has made the trip up and down the Alaska Highway twice while loaded down and never failed to start, even in -30 degree temps. Price of diesel is hurting right now, tho...:rolleyes:

brian10x
03-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes, it is a heavy s.o.b.! Definately is the best turbo diesel in a pick-up. Mine has made the trip up and down the Alaska Highway twice while loaded down and never failed to start, even in -30 degree temps. Price of diesel is hurting right now, tho...:rolleyes:

Thats why my primary vehicle is a 1981 diesel Rabbit. 50mpg but slowwwww as molasses.

(Picture taken during recent engine swap)

Rattler
03-26-2008, 04:40 AM
The wife and I use my '04 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab (my 3rd Toy truck).

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/imagehosting/thum_1301475f56b54cfc3.jpg ('http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2139')

brian10x
03-26-2008, 06:18 AM
The wife and I use my '04 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab (my 3rd Toy truck).

Nice truck! Odds are, your first and second Toyota trucks are still on the road as well. (Or off the road as the case may be.)

Rattler
03-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Nice truck! Odds are, your first and second Toyota trucks are still on the road as well. (Or off the road as the case may be.)
Thanks!

My old '89 XtraCab is but I beleive my '91 4Runner was wrecked. Its a shame too. It only had @ 245k on it when I sold it and ran like a top. Both were 22RE/5 speeds.

Gonna put some bumpers & sliders on this Summer. The roof rack is sitting in the garage waiting for warmer weather here in MI.

brian10x
03-26-2008, 06:28 AM
"It only had @ 245k on it when I sold it "

By chance would it have been powered by the 22R engine?

They say you can fill the crankcase with stale urine and the radiator with good intentions and still make a cross-country trip.

Rattler
03-26-2008, 06:43 AM
"It only had @ 245k on it when I sold it "

By chance would it have been powered by the 22R engine?

They say you can fill the crankcase with stale urine and the radiator with good intentions and still make a cross-country trip.

Yes it had the old 22RE. An old wheeling buddy of mine had an '85 4Runner with @ 180k on it (too bad it had the auto trans.) I was with him when he sucked water into the engine. We popped the plugs and got the water out. It took a bit but it fired up and managed to live @ another 10k before he replaced it with a 4.3 Chevy.

Oh yea, he water-logged it a couple more times in that 10k!! I was a long-time Chevy hot rodder when I was younger but that impressed me soooo much.

The wife's 04' Ford Escape has @ 135k on it but it makes more drivetrain noise than both my Toys put together. Its been a pretty good vehicle but a catastrophic failure with that in the next 10k won't surprise me. Luckily one of my best friends is s quality engineer for Mazda and the Tribute(same as the Escape) is one of his vehicles so I get any question answered personally and don't have to hear some BS from a service manager.

tuutuutango
03-27-2008, 06:35 PM
My rig. I can go up 34 feet high and take a looksie like nobody else. :D

brian10x
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
My rig. I can go up 34 feet high and take a looksie like nobody else. :D

No fair! TuuTuu is cheating! TuuTuu is cheating!

Seriously, I'd love to have a rig like that, but it would only be useful after hours and hours of searching high clearance 4x4 trails. I'd be concerned with getting stuck with that van.

But, then, I've grown paranoid and over-cautious in my old age.

Joel
03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm low tech myself. :)http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/Joelfriday/Cactus/HellsCanyon1028070128.jpg

brian10x
03-27-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm low tech myself. :)

Wow! hard core!

tuutuutango
03-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Yep, I'm cheating. You have to when you get to my age. Not a pretty sight to see an arthritic old guy in his mid 50s climb a ladder to get a better view...

Two of my favorite sayings.
"Old Guys Rule."
"Big Dogs Eat First."

#3 on my list could be, "Guys with bucket trucks see stuff, lots of stuff."

You can't believe the views I get of Ghost Towns from 34 feet off the ground. I'm able to get scenic pictures that nobody else can, and that's one of the reasons I like documenting ghost towns from high above. Few people can duplicate my stuff, and I get to see if any skeletons are lurking on top of old buildings (not that I'd like to find one:eek:) And, I can see wild "Roos" coming long before even Aussies can.

brian10x
03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
As an arthritic man in his late 40s, I'd have to agree with your quotes.

I just wish you lived in Arizona. I'd pay for gas to see the view of Red Rider.

GaryB
03-30-2008, 08:37 PM
There a post similar to this one a year or two ago. I added the Bronco since then, and am in the process of upgrading the Scout even more.

brian10x
03-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow!
You are the man!
(bows in respect)

A classic Bronco AND one of the 12 Scouts still running in the world!
(Estimate based on observations)

Paladin
03-31-2008, 03:53 AM
Believe it or not, I saw 2 Scouts yesterday, both out mudding north of Mountain Home! So, maybe 14 Scouts left...;)

Rattler
03-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Believe it or not, I saw 2 Scouts yesterday, both out mudding north of Mountain Home! So, maybe 14 Scouts left...;)

A guy I was n a club with a few years back had an excellent-shape SSII Scout. Not sure what became of it since he moved though.

Goat
03-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Not good at posting pictures, so here's a webshots album: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562956155LZuMsI?vhost=good-times
'01 Jeep XJ- 3" BDS lift with BFG 31" TA/KO's and an '02 Tacoma TRD 4x4 with ARB front bumper and Pirelli Scorpion AT's.

GaryB
04-01-2008, 07:25 AM
There's numerous Scouts about. I think Orygun is like a mecca for them or something.

Funny thing is I got Goat tangled up into my club and have yet to officially meet him :rolleyes:

Goat
04-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Are you doing the Titus Canyon run Gary?

Gravelrash
04-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Not a pretty sight to see an arthritic old guy in his mid 50s climb a ladder to get a better view...
You can climb ladders?? Wow, I'm really envious!
The domestic ladder (limbus extra-erectus) was one of the first really great shocks I encountered after Rehab! You really DO need two feet for those!

And, I can see wild "Roos" coming long before even Aussies can.

Having had 3 car encounters with Roos over the decades - (1 torn out sump, 2 totalled front ends) - and 2 motorcycle impacts - (best not ask but I've been a.k.a Gravelrash for a long time now) - I'd have to say that is a major advantage!! We don't have much in the way of serious wild-life - nothing like moose or bears, for example - but the Roo will do as good a job as anything when it comes to halting vehicular progress!
Yes, yes....they are cute, but.........:mad:

Gravelrash
04-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Joel, I got a great laugh outta that photo, so thanks for posting it. I hear ya, bro!

GaryB - are you Nevadabackroaders.com?

Goat
04-02-2008, 03:54 AM
That's the one, Gravel.

brian10x
04-02-2008, 05:01 AM
"We don't have much in the way of serious wild-life - nothing like moose or bears"

Yeah, but you got Tasmanian Devils.

GaryB
04-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Are you doing the Titus Canyon run Gary?

No, have a previous fishing engagement. But I've got some places to hit up around Moapa/Meadow Valley that I want to put together as a club run, hopefully for May or early June before it gets too warm.

So I might make it out yet :rolleyes:

GaryB
04-02-2008, 06:51 AM
GaryB - are you Nevadabackroaders.com?

Oh ****, you found me :(

caver
04-06-2008, 09:14 AM
"02" Suzuki DR650

http://caver.smugmug.com/photos/96769609_JsHPf-S.jpg

brian10x
04-06-2008, 10:53 AM
"02" Suzuki DR650

Thats got to be the most nimble vehicle possible for GT hunting.

I love motorcycles and have played with the thought of doing just that many times.

The only problem is there is no room for the cooler, gps, shovel, flashlight, rifle, and the 1000 or so rounds of ammunition I always carry.

mainmanwalkin
04-06-2008, 12:20 PM
For me, a 2000
Toyota Camry is my "Ghost Town Hunter Mobile". And it DID get me stuck once... d*mn sugar sand road....

Just an informal poll to break the boredom. Since becoming a member here, I've had a VW Baja Bug, replaced by a Kawasaki ATV, replaced by a Suzuki Samurai, replaced by a Jeep Cherokee, and now a Ford Bronco.

brian10x
04-06-2008, 07:14 PM
For me, a 2000
Toyota Camry is my "Ghost Town Hunter Mobile". And it DID get me stuck once... d*mn sugar sand road....

Looks like HALF a Camry. You've got guts, I'll give you that!

caver
04-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Thats got to be the most nimble vehicle possible for GT hunting.

I love motorcycles and have played with the thought of doing just that many times.

The only problem is there is no room for the cooler, gps, shovel, flashlight, rifle, and the 1000 or so rounds of ammunition I always carry.

I'm always passing Jeeps and ATV's on the trail and I'm a pokey rider. It has a Garmin 276C on the handle bars. It probably looks like a third rear view mirror. Saddle bags carry water, tools etc. I sometimes strap junk onto the rear luggage rack with an ATV cargo net. I even carried a shovel on the back a few miles up a trail. :D

tuutuutango
04-08-2008, 06:43 PM
:mad:
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

On a trip from Houston back to Abilene on Sunday, my darned Ford van (see picture in eariler post) blew a spark plug out the cylinder head. Ford Tritons are doing this by the hundreds and hundreds... Google "Blown Plug, Triton Engine."

The Triton V8 Engine has aluminum cylinder heads with only 4 threads to hold the plug (and Ford & GM are wondering why people are buying Nissan and Toyota trucks like crazy...)

As I was driving the last 339 miles home pulling my travel trailer, I sounded like Jed Clampet leaving the hills of Georgia in a jalopy. I was running on 7 cylinders, with one cylinder blowing gas... Now I know what that word "BOOMSHAKALAKA" means in that song... (or is it Oog-A-Chucka, Ooga-ooga-ooga-A-Chucka?) Either way, I got some strange looks from people as I was driving through Austin...

No ghost towning for me for the next 45 days... This is a $3,500 repair, two weeks in the shop and another week to get the new heads in... :(

If any of you folks drive a Ford with the Triton engine, good luck amigos.

Rattler
04-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

On a trip from Houston back to Abilene on Sunday, my darned Ford van (see picture in eariler post) blew a spark plug out the cylinder head. Ford Tritons are doing this by the hundreds and hundreds... Google "Blown Plug, Triton Engine."

The Triton V8 Engine has aluminum cylinder heads with only 4 threads to hold the plug (and Ford & GM are wondering why people are buying Nissan and Toyota trucks like crazy...)

As I was driving the last 339 miles home pulling my travel trailer, I sounded like Jed Clampet leaving the hills of Georgia in a jalopy. I was running on 7 cylinders, with one cylinder blowing gas... Now I know what that word "BOOMSHAKALAKA" means in that song... (or is it Oog-A-Chucka, Ooga-ooga-ooga-A-Chucka?) Either way, I got some strange looks from people as I was driving through Austin...

No ghost towning for me for the next 45 days... This is a $3,500 repair, two weeks in the shop and another week to get the new heads in... :(

:eek: That isn't cheap!! I just read this today about Tacomas. Mine is to new anyway.

http://blog.lexus.com/2008/03/living-up-to-ou.html

GaryB
04-08-2008, 07:53 PM
(and Ford & GM are wondering why people are buying Nissan and Toyota trucks like crazy...)

They all have their issues, like Rattler linked too. The problem isn't one manufacturer over another, as much as they all are trying to short cut every corner they can to under sell each other. Toyota might be knocking on the door to be #1 in the world, but give them time and they'll be experiencing the same issues as the Big 3. Quality now a days isn't what it was 25- 30 years ago.

My "newest" vehicle is my 1978 Scout II. And there's a reason I won't "buy" new. Though in the near future I might "lease" a new car, only because I don't want to tear up my wife's pristine 1973 Maverick (with 40K original miles) on Nevada dirt roads when we move. And that's only if I can't sell her on the idea of driving a restored Scout 800 :D

brian10x
04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

I feel your pain, and I agree. But being in the business all my life, I have "fond" memories about a wide variety of makes and models. I've forgotten so much, but I still remember burning Fieros, Oldsmobile diesels, AMC Pacers, Chrysler "lean burn", Yugos, Nissan Sentra diesels, self-igniting Camry door locks, exploding Pintos, CHEVETTE diesels, the Honda 600, Maserati Bi-Turbos, Maserati TC by Chrysler, the Renault Fuego, all Fiats, 305 cubic inch CORVETTES, Cadillac Cimarron, Cadillac V8-6-4.

Give me time, I'll remember more lemons of "my" era.

bad bob
04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Forgot to mention earlier that the newsgroup:
alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper has been running hundreds of high quality pics of vintage and classic cars and trucks, some even from the 1890's etc., Duesenburgs, Rolls Royce, and several hot rods such as rebuilt 40 Ford and such. They've been up for about 2-3 weeks but still several 100's available to view (or copy) if interested.

brian10x
04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
They all have their issues, like Rattler linked too. The problem isn't one manufacturer over another, as much as they all are trying to short cut every corner they can to under sell each other. Toyota might be knocking on the door to be #1 in the world, but give them time and they'll be experiencing the same issues as the Big 3. Quality now a days isn't what it was 25- 30 years ago.

My "newest" vehicle is my 1978 Scout II. And there's a reason I won't "buy" new. Though in the near future I might "lease" a new car, only because I don't want to tear up my wife's pristine 1973 Maverick (with 40K original miles) on Nevada dirt roads when we move. And that's only if I can't sell her on the idea of driving a restored Scout 800 :D

When you are ready to sell the Maverick, I've got some plans for it.

tuutuutango
04-09-2008, 01:09 AM
[quote=Rattler;31895]:eek: That isn't cheap!! I just read this today about Tacomas. Mine is to new anyway.

I looked at your link and gasped!

Then I thought about my 1983 GMC Van having a 6.2 diesel engine... still running after after 25 years and although ugly as sin, having not one iota of rust on it... West Texas droughts have an advantage in one way over living in areas where they salt the roads during snow storms.

Long since retired to the farm and now sporting a camo paint job that Beetle Bailey would be proud of, it's days of ghost towning have come to a close. If I showed up in a GT in my GMC, it would run all the spirits away... I'll have to snap a picture and post it later, but back in her day, yep big beefy engines, beefy frames... and now with everyone trying to shave an ounce here and there to squeeze more miles per gallon, we get aluminum heads so thin that spark plugs blow out of the spark plug boss like a cork coming out of a champagne bottle.

(I was too cheap to re-paint the van and simply took a paint roller and rolled Olive Drab on it, then using a sponge dabbed in Woodland Brown, Bark and Flat Black and Flat Gray... I was so proud of the paint job, I took the seats out, found some camo-fabric at Hancock Fabric Outlet and re-did the seats... If I park my GMC at the end of my farm and walk back to the house, daing if I don't have to get my dogs out to help me find it, she blends in with the mesquite trees so well :rolleyes:... Hmmmm, perhaps I will go Ghost Towning in the GMC again.

tuutuutango
04-09-2008, 01:17 AM
only because I don't want to tear up my wife's pristine 1973 Maverick (with 40K original miles) :D

That car is destined for a museum!

I kick myself for selling my 1961 Oldsmobile F-85... Hang on to that Maverick. And only drive it on Sundays and even then, in reverse to take off some miles from the odo.

Rattler
04-09-2008, 02:27 AM
[quote=Rattler;31895]:eek: That isn't cheap!! I just read this today about Tacomas. Mine is to new anyway.

Then I thought about my 1983 GMC Van having a 6.2 diesel engine... still running after after 25 years and although ugly as sin, having not one iota of rust on it... West Texas droughts have an advantage in one way over living in areas where they salt the roads during snow storms.

Long since retired to the farm and now sporting a camo paint job that Beetle Bailey would be proud of, it's days of ghost towning have come to a close. If I showed up in a GT in my GMC, it would run all the spirits away... I'll have to snap a picture and post it later, but back in her day, yep big beefy engines, beefy frames... and now with everyone trying to shave an ounce here and there to squeeze more miles per gallon, we get aluminum heads so thin that spark plugs blow out of the spark plug boss like a cork coming out of a champagne bottle.

(I was too cheap to re-paint the van and simply took a paint roller and rolled Olive Drab on it, then using a sponge dabbed in Woodland Brown, Bark and Flat Black and Flat Gray... I was so proud of the paint job, I took the seats out, found some camo-fabric at Hancock Fabric Outlet and re-did the seats... If I park my GMC at the end of my farm and walk back to the house, daing if I don't have to get my dogs out to help me find it, she blends in with the mesquite trees so well :rolleyes:... Hmmmm, perhaps I will go Ghost Towning in the GMC again.

A lot of the trucks were up in the Northeast that had the problem from what I understand.

My wife thinks I am weird for liking camo paint jobs. When the Mother Nature pinstripes get really bad on my truck, I plan on camoing it. The tough part will b fguring out what color combos I want.

A high school kid we have for an intern at work has a very nice shape '74 AMC Matador. He loves tht car. He also has a Pacer he is working on. No Camaros or Mustangs for him. I give the kid credit for being original.

brian10x
04-09-2008, 06:41 AM

I wish you would take a picture of the old girl. I'd like to see it.
My first GT hunting vehicle was a 1978 GMC truck, converted from diesel to 307 Olds. I brought it here from Florida. Left a trail of rust everywhere it went. No dash pad or door panels. It was geared so high and the engine was so weak I didn't dare steep hills unless I got a running start.

GaryB
04-09-2008, 11:57 AM
That car is destined for a museum!

Hang on to that Maverick. And only drive it on Sundays and even then, in reverse to take off some miles from the odo.

My wife drives like a little old lady. Plus we live less than 1 mile round trip from her work. I keep jumping her for not letting it get warmed up long enough as it is :rolleyes: I change the oil only because it only gets 400 miles on it in a year and it doesn't get to really run on long trips.

Her dad bought it from the original owner (a little old lady) with something like 25K on it. My wife has had it for 10 years IIRC.

danbo
04-10-2008, 07:10 AM
I keep jumping her for not letting it get warmed up long enough as it is :rolleyes: I change the oil only because it only gets 400 miles on it in a year and it doesn't get to really run on long trips.

This is a big issue in the Corvette world too. Some folks pay top dollar for beautiful
cars, park'em forever and lose them to atrophy. Many are victims of dry seals, flated
tires and mice gnawing through wire looms.:(

Here's an interesting story if your into Vetts; A guy found this one with 384 miles on the clock. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1834749&highlight=barn+find

Rattler
04-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Its kind of a long read but here is a pretty good Corvette story from my 4x4 board:

So busy day at work today... I get dispatched to an address with the numbers 605 to pick up a Corvette, silver in color, going to the local chevy dealership. Keys are in it, and it is in the garage. I get to the address, call back, double check the address... Yep, 605 are the house numbers. Knock on the door, nobody home. Garage is unlocked, go in. There before me is a 1970 Corvette Stingray, Silver, keys are in it. This thing is in pristine condition. Because of how the driveway is shaped I have to back the car out of the garage and get it turned 90 degrees to load it on my flat bed. Shits and giggle, check to see if it starts. Tap the gas twice and it fires right up. VERY CAREFULLY load it up and on my way. Get to the dealership, they tell me to drop it in the lot. I do so, and bring the keys back in. Talking to the service manager I comment on how this thing is a beautiful piece of american history. Runs drives ect.. Should have no prolbem.

Service guy: "Hmm, they said the battery was dead and that everything on it was electric how did I get the wheels to turn??
Me: "I dunno. Tapped the gas twice, fired it up and backed it outta the garage and loaded it up.
SG: "Nice car, but american history?? How do you figure that?"
ME: "dude, it is a 1970 Corvette Stingray, the thing is beautiful."
SG:"You were susposed to bring a Silver 05 Corvette".
I start getting worried.
Me: "Comming from 605 [streetname]?"
Him: "No 603 [streetname]

I look at the insurance papers and give him the name.. Nope, wrong name. At this point my stomache contents almost project themselves all over the service garage. A scene of the cops waiting for me when I get back, and going to county lock up are very vivid im my mind. I am pretty sure somebody is gonna rape my **** pipe. About this time a co-worker (driver) had just dropped his car that he brought in and came in on the tale end of the conversation. He has been running a wrecker for a little over 20 years. I say to him
Me: "Dave.. WTF am I gonna do?"
Dave: "Bring it back"
Me: "You are so following me, if this guy is home, I am pretty sure I am going to end up in pound me in *** prision"
Dave: "Load it up, I'll follow you back."

So I start loading it back up, nauchious as all ****. Get it loaded back up get back to the house.. WHEW nobody home... Yet. Now, because of how the drive way is shaped, and the car orientation, it had to be drivin into the garage so I unload it in the culd-a-sac.. tell Dave to drive it because I am to nervous. So he gets in it, starts it up turnes it around and it dies. 5 min. later we get it running pull it into the garage, put everything back I leave a note on the garage door to call the shop, as I shut the garage door, dave is in the driveway and says, " Fuvk.. He's home" I shut the garage door, and walk out.
The guy sees the garage door his beautiful baby is behind closing and says

Owner: "WTF is going on here?!?!" (looking at Dave)
Dave: "........(points at me)......"
Owner: "WHATS GOING ON HERE?!?!?!" (looking at me)
Me: "Sir, I made a huge mistake, I was told to come to 605 [streetname] and load a silver Corvette, load it, and take it to the dealership. I loaded it up, brought it there, and found out I was susposed to take you neigobors 05 silver corvette that is in his garage. I am soooo Sorrry. I screwed up royally."
Owner: "How did you get in the garage?"
Me: "It was unlocked, I knocked at the door, and nobody answered."
Owner: "It was unlocked?? Hmm.. My daughter is home."
Me: " I don't know sir, but It was open, there was a silver corvette with the keys in it and it figured that was the one. I with utmost sincerity appolgize. I had left you a note in your garage to call, incase somebody saw your car on my flat bed it wanted to let you know that it was a giantic mistake.
Owner: "How did you get it out?"
Me: "Tapped the gas twice, started it up and backed it out."
Owner: "It started right up?"
Me: "Yes sir"
Owner: "Cool, when I parked it last fall, it wasn't running well. I haven't messed with it yet this year to get it running. Thanks for being so honest. Mistakes happen."

I almost jumped right out of my skin and offered to blow him right on the spot. He laughed and said have a good one, you better hurry, the dealership closes in 15 minutes. SOOO I tell him to have a good day, as I back a way, bowing like a retarted chinese elder and scamper to get the neighbors car. I back in, the neighbor opens the garage door, and there is a beautiful 05 Chevy Corvette, silver, with the keys in it. She walkes out and says...
Lady: "You made a big mistake didn't ya? LOL"
Me: "Yeah, ya could say that"
Lady: "ya know, I saw you over there, and thought how odd, Mike is getting his Corvette towed the same day we need it. Wondered what he was getting done to it. How did he take it, I just saw him come home."
Me: "He was very gracious and understanding."
Lady: "Yeah, he is a pretty laid back guy, but that this is his baby... atleast he was cool.

So with utmost care, I load her car up, and bring it to the dealership.
Walk in the service guy is laughing at me. He makes a comment on how he was glad it wasn't him

SG: "Was the dude home?"
Me: "Yeah, he pulled in right as I got done putting it back"
SG: "Was he ******"
Me: "Surpisingly not, way cool and understanding."
SG: "****.. Lucky.. I figured the cops would have been there"

So yeah.. That was my day.

Cliff Notes: I took a car that I wasn't susposed to, brought it back, owner was waaay cool and I got the right one.

Rattler
04-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Its kind of a long read but here is a pretty good Corvette story from my 4x4 board:

So busy day at work today... I get dispatched to an address with the numbers 605 to pick up a Corvette, silver in color, going to the local chevy dealership. Keys are in it, and it is in the garage. I get to the address, call back, double check the address... Yep, 605 are the house numbers. Knock on the door, nobody home. Garage is unlocked, go in. There before me is a 1970 Corvette Stingray, Silver, keys are in it. This thing is in pristine condition. Because of how the driveway is shaped I have to back the car out of the garage and get it turned 90 degrees to load it on my flat bed. Shits and giggle, check to see if it starts. Tap the gas twice and it fires right up. VERY CAREFULLY load it up and on my way. Get to the dealership, they tell me to drop it in the lot. I do so, and bring the keys back in. Talking to the service manager I comment on how this thing is a beautiful piece of american history. Runs drives ect.. Should have no prolbem.

Service guy: "Hmm, they said the battery was dead and that everything on it was electric how did I get the wheels to turn??
Me: "I dunno. Tapped the gas twice, fired it up and backed it outta the garage and loaded it up.
SG: "Nice car, but american history?? How do you figure that?"
ME: "dude, it is a 1970 Corvette Stingray, the thing is beautiful."
SG:"You were susposed to bring a Silver 05 Corvette".
I start getting worried.
Me: "Comming from 605 [streetname]?"
Him: "No 603 [streetname]

I look at the insurance papers and give him the name.. Nope, wrong name. At this point my stomache contents almost project themselves all over the service garage. A scene of the cops waiting for me when I get back, and going to county lock up are very vivid im my mind. I am pretty sure somebody is gonna rape my **** pipe. About this time a co-worker (driver) had just dropped his car that he brought in and came in on the tale end of the conversation. He has been running a wrecker for a little over 20 years. I say to him
Me: "Dave.. WTF am I gonna do?"
Dave: "Bring it back"
Me: "You are so following me, if this guy is home, I am pretty sure I am going to end up in pound me in *** prision"
Dave: "Load it up, I'll follow you back."

So I start loading it back up, nauchious as all ****. Get it loaded back up get back to the house.. WHEW nobody home... Yet. Now, because of how the drive way is shaped, and the car orientation, it had to be drivin into the garage so I unload it in the culd-a-sac.. tell Dave to drive it because I am to nervous. So he gets in it, starts it up turnes it around and it dies. 5 min. later we get it running pull it into the garage, put everything back I leave a note on the garage door to call the shop, as I shut the garage door, dave is in the driveway and says, " Fuvk.. He's home" I shut the garage door, and walk out.
The guy sees the garage door his beautiful baby is behind closing and says

Owner: "WTF is going on here?!?!" (looking at Dave)
Dave: "........(points at me)......"
Owner: "WHATS GOING ON HERE?!?!?!" (looking at me)
Me: "Sir, I made a huge mistake, I was told to come to 605 [streetname] and load a silver Corvette, load it, and take it to the dealership. I loaded it up, brought it there, and found out I was susposed to take you neigobors 05 silver corvette that is in his garage. I am soooo Sorrry. I screwed up royally."
Owner: "How did you get in the garage?"
Me: "It was unlocked, I knocked at the door, and nobody answered."
Owner: "It was unlocked?? Hmm.. My daughter is home."
Me: " I don't know sir, but It was open, there was a silver corvette with the keys in it and it figured that was the one. I with utmost sincerity appolgize. I had left you a note in your garage to call, incase somebody saw your car on my flat bed it wanted to let you know that it was a giantic mistake.
Owner: "How did you get it out?"
Me: "Tapped the gas twice, started it up and backed it out."
Owner: "It started right up?"
Me: "Yes sir"
Owner: "Cool, when I parked it last fall, it wasn't running well. I haven't messed with it yet this year to get it running. Thanks for being so honest. Mistakes happen."

I almost jumped right out of my skin and offered to blow him right on the spot. He laughed and said have a good one, you better hurry, the dealership closes in 15 minutes. SOOO I tell him to have a good day, as I back a way, bowing like a retarted chinese elder and scamper to get the neighbors car. I back in, the neighbor opens the garage door, and there is a beautiful 05 Chevy Corvette, silver, with the keys in it. She walkes out and says...
Lady: "You made a big mistake didn't ya? LOL"
Me: "Yeah, ya could say that"
Lady: "ya know, I saw you over there, and thought how odd, Mike is getting his Corvette towed the same day we need it. Wondered what he was getting done to it. How did he take it, I just saw him come home."
Me: "He was very gracious and understanding."
Lady: "Yeah, he is a pretty laid back guy, but that this is his baby... atleast he was cool.

So with utmost care, I load her car up, and bring it to the dealership.
Walk in the service guy is laughing at me. He makes a comment on how he was glad it wasn't him

SG: "Was the dude home?"
Me: "Yeah, he pulled in right as I got done putting it back"
SG: "Was he ******"
Me: "Surpisingly not, way cool and understanding."
SG: "****.. Lucky.. I figured the cops would have been there"

So yeah.. That was my day.

Cliff Notes: I took a car that I wasn't susposed to, brought it back, owner was waaay cool and I got the right one.

brian10x
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
H e l l of a good story, Rattler!

You had me on the edge of my seat. You make a very good storyteller!

tuutuutango
04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I just posted a video on YouTube (don't ask me why) showing my Camo Bus (actually my 25 year old GMC Diesel van that refuses to die) and my "Magic Bus" (my van that goes up 34 feet off the ground) and some shots of my Magic Bus with a cadre of Apache Attack Helicopters from Fort Hood, Texas (long story as to why I had my Magic Bus on a runway with the attack helicopters... no time to explain what I was doing there...)

Here is the link for my former and current Ghost Town exploration vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRXbxNQ6ZA

If the lick doesn't work, just type in "CAMO BUS MAGIC BUS" and you see the short video. It's gotta be the only one on YouTube... Who else would make a malarkey like this? (I need a life:rolleyes:).

Rattler
04-10-2008, 02:13 PM
H e l l of a good story, Rattler!

You had me on the edge of my seat. You make a very good storyteller!

I can't take credit. I cut-and-pasted from my local 4x4 forum.

bob3 was bob2
04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
A 2005 Dodge Durango, definitely not a Holden mini-truck. :D

brian10x
04-11-2008, 02:02 AM
I just posted a video on YouTube (don't ask me why) showing my Camo Bus (actually my 25 year old GMC Diesel van that refuses to die) and my "Magic Bus" (my van that goes up 34 feet off the ground) and some shots of my Magic Bus with a cadre of Apache Attack Helicopters from Fort Hood, Texas (long story as to why I had my Magic Bus on a runway with the attack helicopters... no time to explain what I was doing there...)

Here is the link for my former and current Ghost Town exploration vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRXbxNQ6ZA

If the lick doesn't work, just type in "CAMO BUS MAGIC BUS" and you see the short video. It's gotta be the only one on YouTube... Who else would make a malarkey like this? (I need a life:rolleyes:).

Amazing video!
No, you are not an idiot. Highly skilled and super motivated is more like it.
The camo bus is wild-but camo windows?
The magic bus looks very capable, bur also looks super heavy. I'd worry a lot about sinking with those skinny tires. Still, the ability to scan the terrain from above is unique-though I'm fairly sure I would lose bladder control on a windy day.

You mention Mexican pole vaulters?

tuutuutango
04-11-2008, 05:01 AM
You mention Mexican pole vaulters?

I am floored... funny picture.

The fence I took pictures of is along Columbus, NM across from Paloma, Mexico. It's 14 feet tall, and I think the record is 20+ feet...

I guess I should have said in my video, "I've never seen an Arab pole vaulter..." They can't practice. Poles sink in Saudi sand.

tuutuutango
04-12-2008, 04:40 AM
:mad: Freakin lousy spammers!:mad: BEGONE!

If someone posted spam here, I wonder if they got the Ghost Towns website from my "camo van, magic van" video on YouTube?

If so, let me know and I'll pull that video.

I had a short video on YouTube about the cemetery in Mogollon, and I got some very weird (hate) messages on that and had to pull that video... Yep, the internet would be better if we could track down spammers and infest their computer with a bug of some kind.

brian10x
04-12-2008, 05:40 AM
If someone posted spam here, I wonder if they got the Ghost Towns website from my "camo van, magic van" video on YouTube?

I had a short video on YouTube about the cemetery in Mogollon, and I got some very weird (hate) messages on that and had to pull that video... Yep, the internet would be better if we could track down spammers and infest their computer with a bug of some kind.

I like spammers. I like to screw with them.

GaryB
04-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Don't worry about it.

I doubt it's just because of your link. We get hit daily, many don't get through. It's mostly just the losers who have no life that will go through the trouble to get in when a spam bot fails.

usersuper
04-14-2008, 07:57 PM
The wife & pups & I like a rather large 2006 Ford F250 4 door Diesel:eek: . It's great on the Highway to get to the trail, & will go about anywhere we want, (that the size allows). I'll take the side steps off this summer, I bent one up a bit on Mosquito Pass last summer. (I used to enjoy the real bad trails on the ATV though)

teds280z
04-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Still looking good after 2 years of backroad including places like Aurora, Inyo Mts, Death Valley, Scossa, Berlin-Ione and many more areas. Hopefully next year the lift. engine upgrades, bigger tires. and maybe Dana's if I can find them. Well trying to upload pic but site says file to large. Couldn't put pic in message bu was able to put it as avatar. This little Kia has been great. Has never got me stuck except came close on my recent trip to Scossa(to much snow).

brian10x
04-27-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm not real smart, but I found a picture re-sizer thats free and so easy a fat man could use it.

http://www.picturegirdle.com/

teds280z
04-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks Brian. One of these days I'll go throught my pics. I have some that are not on GT and I hope to add to the site.

ocjimmy
04-27-2008, 09:15 PM
I use a 06 Hummer H3 to GT. It's surprising tough and capable. So far I've white knuckled some trails but it's always pulled me through.

Some adventures can be found here

http://www.jimforeman.us (http://www.jimforeman.us/)

Jimmy

brian10x
04-27-2008, 11:11 PM
I use a 06 Hummer H3 to GT. It's surprising tough and capable. So far I've white knuckled some trails but it's always pulled me through.

Some adventures can be found here

http://www.jimforeman.us (http://www.jimforeman.us/)

Jimmy

I'm impressed by your web site, and great pictures!

I've been wanting to go to Two Guns for a long time now, its just a wee bit from Tucson and a second mortgage payment in gas. Glad to see its held up so well.

Flatiron
05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I use an '05 Rubicon and an 05' Honda Rincon quad. They both do the job quite well.....

brian10x
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
I use an '05 Rubicon and an 05' Honda Rincon quad. They both do the job quite well.....

I would say you are equipped as good as it gets!

brian10x
05-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I've done a lot of research over the years, in case I get really rich all of a sudden and need to upgrade to a more capable off road vehicle.

Fads come and go, technology changes, but I always find myself in awe at the masterfull engineering of the Pinzgauer.

In my humble opinion, it simply has no peer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_High_Mobility_All-Terrain_Vehicle

teds280z
05-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Hey Brian. I've never seen one of those. My Sportage will never be able to do that. Good pic.

brian10x
05-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey Brian. I've never seen one of those. My Sportage will never be able to do that. Good pic.

You are not alone. It is my personal opinion that there are no unmodified vehicles built that can match the Pinz.

05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Here's my GTer

GaryB
05-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Fads come and go, technology changes, but I always find myself in awe at the masterfull engineering of the Pinzgauer.

In my humble opinion, it simply has no peer.

A fellow club member has one for sale, IIRC $21K.

brian10x
05-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Here's my GTer

Reminds me of my old Sammi, only yours is a bit more civilized!

Big daddy Mack
05-29-2008, 05:06 PM
I have been all over this country in a 89 Trooper, a 89 Jeep Cherokee, and a 2004 Jeep Renegade. However, I purchased a 2007 4-door JK Wrangler Sahara last year. I put on 18" wheels and bigger tires, but otherwise stock. Hope I don't roll it like I did the Cherokee!

Norman Johnson
05-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Ok, I'm jumpin' in. Thirty-five years ago, my first off-roader was a '64 VW bus. I slid that baby down a sand dune into the Fish Creek Wash area in Anza Borrego. The bus had an extra gear at the rear wheels that resulted in a 1.5 ratio compared to the bug and lifted the thing several more inches. For all the Californian's, I drove that bus down Turkey Tracks at the head of Coyote Canyon in Anza Borrego State Park and back up. Also took it to Yellowknife in the Northwest territories on the longest day of the year. Then, I moved on to a '49 Willy's CJ5. That went everywhere. Then I took a hiatus. Then I started renting Caddy's and 4-wheeling those babies around the Mojave with a cooler in the back seat. They plane off the center of the road pretty good when you get the speed up. About twelve years ago, I went from the Caddy to a '86 Subaru XT (sports car), only I swapped out the tranny for a dual range job, it already had 4wd and I put in fixed struts in the lifted position. So that meant I'd be out in an impossible location and someone would come along all jacked up that they had made it where they did, and there I was in a wedge-shaped sportscar. That was F----up. Then I got the Willys and I also use my Tacoma, 2wd, only I had a posi put in the rear dif and run All-Terrains. NJ

brian10x
05-29-2008, 09:43 PM
'64 VW bus.

I cannot for the life of me visualize a VW bus off road. Yes, I've heard of the (valuable and rare) early bus transaxle, but still, a huge box on wheels and 40 or so horsepower?

'49 Willy's CJ5.
I've been told the post war Willys is as close to indestrucible as has ever been made by man.

renting Caddy's and 4-wheeling

I did drugs for a short while, too.

'86 Subaru XT (sports car),
Thats got to go into the 4wd hall of fame, if only for originality. Thats the one where the windows only roll halfway down, right?

Then I got the Willys
Ahh, with age comes wisdom.

also use my Tacoma
Wow! Even a back up vehicle!

GS-RON
05-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Longer trips = 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. Good ground clearance, a rear locker and good wheel travel get my to 99% of the sites I want to see.

Short and/or rougher trips = 1986 Suzuki Samurai w/a few mods.....
Locker in rear
Spring over suspension
Long travel shocks
4.9:1 gears in the t-Case
winch & recovery gear
32X10.5 swamper radial tires, heavily modified with a tire groover

brian10x
05-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Mine wasn't as modified as yours, but it always got me there!

High Desert Drifter
05-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Mine wasn't as modified as yours, but it always got me there!

Hey Brian... Don't Shoot! that's me down in the bushes with the toilet paper!

Lets Hit them trails!!!!!!
2005 Grizzly 660 Quad with extra fuel pack & Maxxis Big Horn Tires
2008 Kawasaki Teyrx RUV
2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab

!

bad bob
05-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Hey Brian... Don't Shoot! that's me down in the bushes with the toilet paper!

Lets Hit them trails!!!!!!
2005 Grizzly 660 Quad with extra fuel pack & Maxxis Big Horn Tires
2008 Kawasaki Teyrx RUV
2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab

!

LOL Dang it Frank, you should just break down and get one of them bumper potties. $60

http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm

David A. Wright
06-17-2008, 03:30 PM
This is what gets me there:

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/images/tacopagemasterphoto.jpg

And sometimes it gets me here, too ... :D

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/images/tacopagemasterphoto2.jpg

In the last photo, I'm actually counterbalancing the truck, it's teetering and my feet are actually 24"-30" off the ground (it don't look like it, because of the background; look at the rock down below and slightly to the right of my right hand side foot and you can get a good idea of the distance between my foot and the ground). Fortunately a good Samaritan came along and pulled me out of the situation ...:o

Anyway, it's a 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD pickup. Details on the truck and my simple mods are at:

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/toytaco.html

brian10x
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Toyota really makes some of the finest trucks out there.

In the second picture, where you in any danger of rolling over? Its hard to tell. How long did you have to wait before someone came along?

David A. Wright
06-18-2008, 09:09 AM
In the second picture, where you in any danger of rolling over? Its hard to tell. How long did you have to wait before someone came along?
Yes, the truck was slowly teetering when I'd shift my weight. If it went over, it would have flopped over on its side and stay put on the trail; but the slope was steep off to the right of the photo and the trail was steep

It was about five minutes before another explorer came along in an old CJ5 Jeep. He didn't have a snatch strap, but he got mine from the tote box I keep in the rear of the truck and hooked on to me.

If the truck wasn't so tippy, I could have gotten myself extracted if I was able to get out and look. I had my rear differential locked at the time and there was a couple more feet behind the right rear wheel to run back a bit. That and a bit of shovel work out from under the front tire would have leveled the truck a bit. But I only found that after I got back firmly planted and looked at my tracks and worked out the math.

Rattler
06-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Update pic. I installed a Bajarack a little bit ago. A Marlin Crawler rear bumper should be soon.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/imagehosting/1301483179451ed4e.jpg

brian10x
06-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Your truck dosen't get accused of being a "sidewalk 4x4" or "boulevard queen" very often I take it!

Rattler
06-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Your truck dosen't get accused of being a "sidewalk 4x4" or "boulevard queen" very often I take it!

Hehe. It actually looked worse after a "Road Closed" shortcut running late for work last week.

Thanks!

Gravelrash
06-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm actually counterbalancing the truck, it's teetering and my feet are actually 24"-30" off the ground

So....that's why you have paying customers.... Ballast!!! I can do that!

ghost_town_huntress
06-22-2008, 10:58 PM
We've got our '96 Dodge Ram that we've been using for a few years for ghost towning but we're looking to sell it now, even though I really don't want to and we do still need it. My husband's asking $3,000 for it but I doubt we'll even get that much out of it because the market's flooded right now with trucks that won't sell because of the gas prices. But if anybody knows of anybody that wants a truck, let me know! Oh, and by the way, I had another ultrasound done a couple of weeks ago and it turns out we're having a girl, not a boy! My daughter's been trying to tell us this all along and would get mad every time we said it was a boy, but our doctor was wrong! So she's getting the little sister she wanted after all!

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Gravelrash
06-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Oh, and by the way.....we're having a girl, not a boy!

Congrats!! I hope all is going well.

teds280z
06-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Congradulations!!!
I guess we need to listen to our children more. If I did that with my daughter she would have me in the mental ward and she's 22.;)

Natalie's Boots
07-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Stock Suzuki Savage right here. I'll take that as far as I can and hike it from there (and I can ride pretty far- I'm determined and it's a SMALL bike which = more stable) I prefer 2 wheels (or feet!) over 4, and growing up in Colorado has taught me that hiking at 13,000 feet with food, water, at LEAST 1 camera body with 3 lenses and 15 rolls of film is no problem- and I generally manage it in a skirt and bare feet ;) That said, I'd like to get a CJ5 for those situations where I hafta pack in more than my tiny, tiny saddlebags can carry. Once I get around to fixing my Saab iminna sell it and get a Jeep for winter and dirt.

jbodine
07-15-2008, 01:20 AM
This is my means of GT tranportation.1802

brian10x
07-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Stock Suzuki Savage right here. I'll take that as far as I can and hike it from there (and I can ride pretty far- I'm determined and it's a SMALL bike which = more stable) I prefer 2 wheels (or feet!) over 4, and growing up in Colorado has taught me that hiking at 13,000 feet with food, water, at LEAST 1 camera body with 3 lenses and 15 rolls of film is no problem- and I generally manage it in a skirt and bare feet ;) That said, I'd like to get a CJ5 for those situations where I hafta pack in more than my tiny, tiny saddlebags can carry. Once I get around to fixing my Saab iminna sell it and get a Jeep for winter and dirt.

Sounds like you have some good ideas, Natalie.
Just try and take the advice I've been given for years, and don't go alone if you can help it!

Natalie's Boots
07-15-2008, 12:21 PM
And good advice that is, Brian. Honestly I prefer the solitude (helps me concentrate, I've always felt at home alone in the mountains) but when I do go alone I ALWAYS give my roommate a detailed map of exactly where I'm going and how to get there. I don't fancy pulling an Aaron Ralston (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Ralston), eh? ;) I'd imagine one-armed girls don't get too many dates...

teds280z
07-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Keep searching there is still alot out there. Your site has great pics. See about posting some of the GT pic here. Good Luck and welcome.

Natalie's Boots
07-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks! I'm so thrilled to find more people who are into this. It'll sure make things easier for finding and researching towns ^_^

Gravelrash
07-17-2008, 03:03 AM
... I'd imagine one-armed girls don't get too many dates...

....one-legged old gits too! Since I parted company with a perfectly serviceable left left, complete with foot, I have friends, loved-ones - wife, and daughter - and various acquaintances begging me not to go out alone, but it's the habit of a lifetime that is hard to break. I'm not exactly the shy or silent type but when I "go bush" I tend to become kinda overwhelmed by it and have nothing to say. I'm lousy company until it's camp-fire time.
To calm the frayed nerves of She-who-must-be-obeyed I relented and bought a mobile phone. I then proceeded to get bogged the very next time I went out. No worries, says I, I'll just ring for help!!!
No signal!

I'm buying a little 110cc ATV next month, just so I can escape the House of Filthy Lucre more often. It might be small, but it will do till I leave here and get some serious Utahing commenced.

teds280z
07-17-2008, 06:41 AM
When do you think you'll be here in the great Wild West?

Gravelrash
07-19-2008, 02:59 AM
When do you think you'll be here in the great Wild West?

Ted, the original plan was for the Summe/Fall of '08..... which is rapidly going west!
It all depends one when (and if) I can sell my business. We've put in a lot of hard work, and have turned this into a good proposition, but the financial climate has people scared, I am assuming. Anyway, to date, no bites. Not even a flicker of interest.
Very depressing!!!:cool:
I am determined to get to America, by hook or by crook, though. My two girls have said I can go if I want, and we'll sort it all out after the shop sells (God bless 'em both) but I would feel too restricted, time-wise and responsibilty-wise, to enjoy myself if it still hadn't sold. So..... one day soon. If it doesn't sell soon, I just might take the girls up on their offer, come to think of it!!;)

GaryB
07-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Hey, Brian needs a job, and wants to vist OZ, and you want to sell your business and visit here ;)

brian10x
07-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Hey, Brian needs a job, and wants to vist OZ, and you want to sell your business and visit here ;)

Great idea, except if they didn't arrest me for gun violations, they surely would put me away for being so environmentally hostile!
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/brian10x/biohazard.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/brian10x/bio2.gif

Gravelrash
07-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Brian....trust me, in an area colloquailly known as "The Bronx", a man with your people skills would be THE ideal person to run this shop!!!:D

5 years, 41 calls to the police, 5 smashed windows, rocks throught the upstairs kitchen, needles left in the mail box, 2 attempted dog poisonings, one attempt at petrol bombing. (Fool set hiself on fire!!!)
We make a grand a week, but man.... we earn it!!!!
I would not inflict this on a friend! A "grateful immigrant" maybe......

brian10x
07-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Brian....trust me, in an area colloquailly known as "The Bronx", a man with your people skills would be THE ideal person to run this shop!!!:D

5 years, 41 calls to the police, 5 smashed windows, rocks throught the upstairs kitchen, needles left in the mail box, 2 attempted dog poisonings, one attempt at petrol bombing. (Fool set hiself on fire!!!)
We make a grand a week, but man.... we earn it!!!!
I would not inflict this on a friend! A "grateful immigrant" maybe......

Its the darn gun thing again. If there's no chance of me shooting a bad guy then the idea loses all of its luster.

bad bob
07-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Ted, the original plan was for the Summe/Fall of '08..... which is rapidly going west!
It all depends one when (and if) I can sell my business. We've put in a lot of hard work, and have turned this into a good proposition, but the financial climate has people scared, I am assuming. Anyway, to date, no bites. Not even a flicker of interest.
Very depressing!!!:cool:
I am determined to get to America, by hook or by crook, though. My two girls have said I can go if I want, and we'll sort it all out after the shop sells (God bless 'em both) but I would feel too restricted, time-wise and responsibilty-wise, to enjoy myself if it still hadn't sold. So..... one day soon. If it doesn't sell soon, I just might take the girls up on their offer, come to think of it!!;)

Pete,
over here, all the 7-elevens, & dollar stores, are owned and operated by Sahib and his family. Try running an ad on Craig's List in India, or Pakistan, and a few other countries in the Middle East.

If that doesn't work, maybe you can unload... I mean.. sell it to one of the 1000's of Muslims migrating there. :p

Calamity June
08-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Boy oh boy I have the Ghost Town bug like you wouldn't believe. We will be heading into Montana in a 25 foot RV, that gets about 10 miles to the gallon..oh boy! but we maybe should tow our Honda CRV, it's 4 wheel-drive, because there are many off the beaten track places I already want to go to. Garnet and Elkhorn, a good friend of mine went to Elkkorn as a teenager in the late 60's and met an old prospector named Rufus, she was greatly impressed by him and the town and he took them goldpanning. She was so sorry to hear about how much of Elkhorn is being torn apart. She said she will never forget that experience, or Rufus, and how wonderful the old town was.

I am already planning a trip to Bodie Calif. next spring.

Old West Outlaw
08-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi everybody. I thought I'd try to get into the site by contributing to this thread.

We have a '06 H3 5-speed that we have taken off-roading a few times. My wife is very uncomfortable in it so we are going to sell it. We bought a used '01 Volvo V70 wagon that I'm currently outfitting for road trips. We are planning a few next year and I want to make certain I have all the toys I had in my last one.

I don't have pics of the V70 yet since we just got it, but I do have a couple of the H3:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/HummerGuy_H3/June%2008%20ROTM%20Pics/DSCF1276.jpg

Unlike some, I'm not afraid to get mine dirty :D

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/HummerGuy_H3/IMG00081.jpg

Hate to see her go, but we want to have kids in a couple of years and this is just a liability for us right now unfortunately.

GaryB
08-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Funny, never heard of anyone using a lawn sprinkler on the bottom of their vehicle to clean it. Kind of a smart idea though ;)

Old West Outlaw
08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
I never had either, until I saw another forum member on my other forum do it. I told him the same thing.

Rattler
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Funny, never heard of anyone using a lawn sprinkler on the bottom of their vehicle to clean it. Kind of a smart idea though ;)

I think its mostly a Midwest mud thing for the most part.

campp
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I thought that's what coin-op car washes were for.

Rattler
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM

Only until the owner of the wash catches you. I had a pretty good round with one years ago. I spent $2 to clean the stall when I was done too. I ended up telling him what he could wash with his pressure washers.

xplor'npaul
08-07-2008, 07:22 AM
97 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4. Lousy mpg,...alot of low end torque tho.

GaryB
08-07-2008, 08:19 AM

I spent $10 last week at one just to make our Cherokee look dirty after some mud boggin' in Ely, NV. Lawn sprinkler would be much cheaper.

GaryB
08-07-2008, 08:21 AM
I think its mostly a Midwest mud thing for the most part.

I'd rather have mid west mud than Nevada poof dirt turned muddy. No matter if it's dry or wet, that stuff is horrible.

Rattler
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I'd rather have mid west mud than Nevada poof dirt turned muddy. No matter if it's dry or wet, that stuff is horrible.

There is an offroad recreation area about an hour from me, The Mounds. Its mud is nasty. Its refered to as "herpes" mud because once you have it, its never all gone.:eek:

mdsuave13
08-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Hello, i use two vehicles for my outings.

97 Grand Cherokee
http://lh4.ggpht.com/mdsuave132/R9Rt6zUUNWI/AAAAAAAAAE0/2JCQzmyZ1A4/flexing.JPG?imgmax=720

and my more manuverable and stealthy 2008 klr650
http://lh5.ggpht.com/mdsuave132/SDoJhUBxjvI/AAAAAAAAA2A/mtUUe8pNYTo/SANY0003.JPG?imgmax=512

Rupe
10-05-2008, 07:20 AM
We use a 2007 Jeep JK Wrangler and tow a Jumping Jack trailer. It's a great combo for offroading. There are smaller offroad trailers out there but I like the Jumping Jack because I can carry 1200 lbs on top of it when it's all folded down. It is also tall enough inside vs. the smaller trailers that have crawl in tents. I'm just to old to crawl in and out of bed, I would much rather climb out of bed.:D . The Jeep always gets me were I want to go and the new ones are so much more comfy to drive there and back. Out of the 5 Jeeps (CJ's and Wranglers) this is the best one off the lot. It is our daily driver as well. Gee's I sound like a car salesman. :D rupe

Rattler
10-05-2008, 07:37 AM
We use a 2007 Jeep JK Wrangler and tow a Jumping Jack trailer. It's a great combo for offroading. There are smaller offroad trailers out there but I like the Jumping Jack because I can carry 1200 lbs on top of it when it's all folded down. It is also tall enough inside vs. the smaller trailers that have crawl in tents. I'm just to old to crawl in and out of bed, I would much rather climb out of bed.:D . The Jeep always gets me were I want to go and the new ones are so much more comfy to drive there and back. Out of the 5 Jeeps (CJ's and Wranglers) this is the best one off the lot. It is our daily driver as well. Gee's I sound like a car salesman. :D rupe

Ever check out expeditionportal.com? Sounds like you may like it. I went on a group outing with a bunch form there to Michigan's Upper Peninsula back in August and had a blast. They really get into the camping part of offroading.

Rupe
10-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Ever check out expeditionportal.com? Sounds like you may like it. I went on a group outing with a bunch form there to Michigan's Upper Peninsula back in August and had a blast. They really get into the camping part of offroading.

No I haven't, but I will. Thanks Rattler.

mainmanwalkin
10-07-2008, 06:18 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/2595347200_b9cd6382bc.jpg:D http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2258/2429469509_bedb964369.jpg

Rupe
10-08-2008, 08:06 AM

Rattler- I checked it out and of course, signed on. Pretty cool site. Thanks alot!
If you are into alot of 4 wheeling try 4x4him.org everything from hardcore to exploring backroads where you don't even need 4 wheel drive, although it's much more fun if you have to put it in 4LO at least part of the time. :D
Thanks again for the link! rupe

Mikejts
10-08-2008, 09:58 AM
I like my Rubicon also http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/August%202004%20Colorado%20Collage.htm

Fairlane500
12-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I mentioned my ghost towner a while ago, but I finally found a good picture of her while camping up some old logging roads in the Cascades.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/9454/imgp1559ns3.jpg

Albin
12-15-2008, 08:57 AM
My F-350 SRW PSD tows my '85 Toyota 4runner rock crawler to a main site, then we use the 4runner to make the ghost town runs.

Here's the combo at the Faultless nuclear weapons test site last summer:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-10-33-14_IMG_1330_Al.JPG_s.jpg

The 4runner at the Black Rock Point, Black Rock Desert, also last summer:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_12/07-24-08-11-22-42_IMG_1219_Al.JPG_s.jpg

Another pic of the 4runner outside the entrance to the TTR:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_15/07-27-08-12-06-42_IMG_1119_Albin.JPG_s.jpg

My son and the 4runner at Mengel Pass, DVNP on our way to the Barker Ranch (Charlie Manson hideaway):

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_04/07-14-08-14-00-40___IMG_0789_Al.JPG_s.jpg

bad bob
01-25-2009, 10:59 AM
This is my brother's (Mike) off-roader dune buggy with some of the specs and photos: This was used in recent trek to Alamo Lake (thread in "Other" category)

2008 250cc Joyner... Automatic
Roof rack,Windshield are add on's as is Gps.. gets approx 30 mpg.. go's for about 120 miles. Carries Jeep cans with x-tra fuel. Also has trailer (purchased separately).

$4200.00 the way it sits.

ghosttowngirl
01-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Believe it or not I take a 2000 chrysler sebring convertible :) and I have gone to some interesting spots and still haven't needed AAA yet lol. I like to take horses when I can, like at Bodie, I camp in the meadow and then ride to the various outlying buildings.

ghost_town_huntress
01-26-2009, 01:31 AM
You're not the only one that takes a sedan out. My Saturn's done amazing on my crazy outings, you wouldn't believe the places I've taken it, and I've only been stranded once (blew a tire and my husband forgot to put the proper tools for me to change the tire back in the trunk), otherwise I would have been fine. Anyway, welcome!

Rupe
01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
That Joyner is awesome. I would love to have one of those to play with!
rupe

vacant minds
01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I have gone out in my Prius a couple times.

Usually I will rent a jeep with full insurance.

bishop13
01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
My bucket :) Its always gotten me there and gotten me back!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/inspiredvisionsphotography/Misc/d2.jpg

bad bob
01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
That Joyner is awesome. I would love to have one of those to play with!
rupe

Me brother loves his Rupe....hey, it's only money!! :)

ghost_town_huntress
01-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Hahaha, rental companies won't rent to us anymore after what we've done to their jeeps! We tend to be rather hard on our vehicles, which is why I'm so faithful to Saturns, of all things. My little Saturn has gotten me places you couldn't even imagine a little car could go, and quite a few of my family members have crashed a few of our Saturns and came out completely unscathed, not a single injury (the elk, however, wasn't nearly so lucky, it was decapitated in the crash and every bone turned to mush; nor were the mailbox or tree!) Anyway, for more serious offroad adventures where I know my Saturn can't make it, we have our old Dodge Ram which gets the job done rather nicely.

Rupe
01-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Me brother loves his Rupe....hey, it's only money!! :)

Your right it is only money! And I'm afraid that I just don't have enough to afford my Jeep and a Joyner, darn!!

rupe

rimjeep
01-30-2009, 03:10 AM
Got two jeeps
04TJ locked &lifted
and old red my 89 yj ive wheeled for ten years :D

Hobo2
02-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Introducing “Old Blue”.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc51/Hobo2URL/IMG_0918GT.jpg

I’ve got her up for sale, but just on the windows… never advertised her in a paper. I guess I don’t advertise her too aggressively because I would probably loose her sooner, and I just hate the thought of that, she has been a trusted part of the family for years now.

Dogman
02-07-2009, 05:31 AM
The old 92 Nissan short bed has been a trooper and finally after 12 years I am just now starting to throw some money at it. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/DdBob/IMG_1723-1.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/DdBob/IMG_0295-2.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/DdBob/IMG_1725.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/DdBob/IMG_0278.jpg

Hobo2
02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
The old 92 Nissan short bed has been a trooper and finally after 12 years I am just now starting to throw some money at it. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Don't ruin the "Rocky Mountain Pin Striping" :cool:

Dogman
02-08-2009, 04:53 AM
Don't ruin the "Rocky Mountain Pin Striping" :cool:

I have no intentions to :D

Rupe
02-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I had a 82 Datsun pickup King cab 4x4 that I dumped a bunch of money into then sold it to my folks in 86, they drove it until 03 then gave it back to me and I drove it again until last spring until someone tried to steal it and Insurance totalled it because they did so much damage to it. I got $1,200.oo for it from them and I was going to sale it for $600. so I made out on the deal. Thanks to the stupid car thief. LOL Great truck, the engine had been rebuild once after mom had drove it after blowing a hose and burned up the motor. That thing just ran and ran. It was still running great when they thief tore it up trying to hot wire it.
rupe

BEARS TOYS
02-08-2009, 05:08 PM
asapi will have a choice of three a 67 gmc pickup a 71 dodge powerwagon crew cab a 68 dodge camper special crew now to go rob a bank to work on my trucks :D:D:D:D.............BEAR

LOGANSTANFORTH
03-09-2009, 06:42 AM
1990 2WD 2500 plain white dodge ram with a cummins turbo diesel, when i put my yellow hazard light on the roof i look just like a state owned work truck if you get my drift and i never get questioned......that truck is only for urban exploration if i know im staying on pavement. if im going to possibly get a little dirty ill break out my 4x4 1996 dodge ram 2500 also with a cummins turbo diesel and go searching and if it gets real bad ill just tow my 86 Chevy K5 blazer to the spot and use it cause its already beat all to heck and dosent have a top

along with my whole other slew of trucks

BEARS TOYS i got a 1977 dodge D350 2wd extended cab long bed dually with a 440/auto thats only got 70K original miles on it with working cruise and A/C......i got it for 3500 cash.......needs a little work but well worth the money

Rattler
03-09-2009, 07:44 AM
1990 2WD 2500 plain white dodge ram with a cummins turbo diesel, when i put my yellow hazard light on the roof i look just like a state owned work truck if you get my drift and i never get questioned......that truck is only for urban exploration if i know im staying on pavement. if im going to possibly get a little dirty ill break out my 4x4 1996 dodge ram 2500 also with a cummins turbo diesel and go searching and if it gets real bad ill just tow my 86 Chevy K5 blazer to the spot and use it cause its already beat all to heck and dosent have a top

along with my whole other slew of trucks

BEARS TOYS i got a 1977 dodge D350 2wd extended cab long bed dually with a 440/auto thats only got 70K original miles on it with working cruise and A/C......i got it for 3500 cash.......needs a little work but well worth the money
Your yellow truck reminded me of something. Years ago I was passed by a white Caprice with an assortment of anntenas during very busy weekend traffic. Everyone slowed down when he was spotted. Once he passed you could read his plate that said "FOOLDYA". I never forgot that one!

LOGANSTANFORTH
03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
it gets you around highway construction too, just pull out on to that fresh black top blocked off with barrels, flip on the flashing light and just cruise for a few miles and get back into traffic.....

a high school teacher of mine's son had bought a old county sheriff's car and they would do the same thing, it was black with yellow stripes, the sheriff's finally told him he had to peel the yellow off......

rev dr g
03-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Its official, DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT try using a 1982 model mercedes 230 four door sedan as a four wheel drive.

As you all no i am in process of immigrating to your great country and as a result have sold all my toys and was left with my very tired and and gold coast chrome riddled 1982 mercedes 230 (4cyl) 4 door sedan. ( we call rust in your car on the gold coast, gold coast chrome!) My first foray was a rock that puntured right through the rear floor pan, made worse by the fact that the floor was totaly rusted out but hidden under the carpet.Had to jack the car up and push it of the jack to get it of the rock that was wedged up into the rear leg room.
My second foray and its last, I actually bottomed the motor out on a log that caused the motor to go straight up tearing out the engine mounts and creating a bulge of odd shape in the bonnet. So if the lesson is to be learnt, it is that you should allways have a first aid kit and basic survival kit. Do tell people that you are on walk about and never let your ego get in the way of you or your equipements capabilities.
There have been some great safety articles written in this forum and i thank the people who wrote them as i was totaly prepared for the impending out come.
P.S the tracks i was driving on had changed dramaticaly over a period of a month and all adventurers shouldnt assume that the track they are going to drive on will be in the same condition as last time. Lesson learnt.
rev dr g

Joel
03-20-2009, 08:00 PM
I've been bugging this young engineer at work to design me a hovercraft and to get me a prototype, but he's smarter than he looks and has ducked the whole issue. Drat!

BEARS TOYS
06-13-2009, 12:19 PM
nice rigs all as soon as i learn to post picsi well try to get them hear..............................BEAR

GaryB
06-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Hey Bear, do you have a 4x4 currently?

Norman Johnson
06-29-2009, 05:47 PM
There was a time I thought the Subaru was the greatest car on earth. I got a wild hair one day and bought a 1986 XT. It had 4wd, a high-low suspension button, all electric everything, power steering---the works. It was exactly the off-road vehicle I was looking for.

Later, I added a high range low range transmission and just put in mechanical struts so I always had about 9" of clearance. When the road was too rocky, I filled in the holes or used a wire come-a-long to pull me where I wanted to go.

The pictures below were taken in Anza Borrego State Park at "The Drop-off." This is right down the road from "The Choke." I like a state park with places that challenge the driver. Anza Borrego has its share. I sometimes wish I still had that car. Other times I don't.

NJ

Dogman
06-29-2009, 05:54 PM
There was a time I thought the Subaru was the greatest car on earth. I got a wild hair one day and bought a 1986 XT. It had 4wd, a high-low suspension button, all electric everything, power steering---the works. It was exactly the off-road vehicle I was looking for.

Later, I added a high range low range transmission and just put in mechanical struts so I always had about 9" of clearance. When the road was too rocky, I filled in the holes or used a wire come-a-long to pull me where I wanted to go.

The pictures below were taken in Anza Borrego State Park at "The Drop-off." This is right down the road from "The Choke." I like a state park with places that challenge the driver. Anza Borrego has its share. I sometimes wish I still had that car. Other times I don't.

NJ
you are a crazy man :D

Joel
06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Wild ride!

danbo
07-02-2009, 07:44 AM
N.J. you are a “Wild Man”! Great post! I used to “wheel” in a ’94 Dodge mini van. Not an ideal rig, but with a
“come-along,” a shovel, and a little discretion, it’s amazing how many places you can get in to.

I’m always amazed at the rigs I see, -and- don’t see on the trail. ( cough-H2 )
Just kidding. Besides, everyone knows that nothing looks better with chrome
running boards. :D

LOGANSTANFORTH
07-12-2009, 05:52 AM
N.J. you are a “Wild Man”! Great post! I used to “wheel” in a ’94 Dodge mini van. Not an ideal rig, but with a
“come-along,” a shovel, and a little discretion, it’s amazing how many places you can get in to.

I’m always amazed at the rigs I see, -and- don’t see on the trail. ( cough-H2 )
Just kidding. Besides, everyone knows that nothing looks better with chrome
running boards. :D

you sound like some of the guys over at jeepforum.com

GaryB
07-12-2009, 10:27 AM
I know of one H2 that gets wheeled quite often. Now H3's are another story. We also have a local H1 club that gets out quite a bit.

But this is also Vegas, home of the lifted on 35" tires, 2 wheel drive Wranglers.

Rattler
07-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I know of one H2 that gets wheeled quite often. Now H3's are another story. We also have a local H1 club that gets out quite a bit.

But this is also Vegas, home of the lifted on 35" tires, 2 wheel drive Wranglers.

I don't see a lot of that but I still point and laugh when I do. Almost laugh as hard at those as I do the "donks' on "32 wheels.

sbruce
07-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Talk about laughing, I have a 1990 LaForza which is an Italian military vehicle 4WD with a Maserati interior and Ford 302 engine. It had a wiring fire and other problems with the brakes. It has been so unreliable with strange problems I sometimes wonder if the truck is haunted - not a good feeling. I have been too afraid/scared to drive it out in the desert. But when I finally get it fixed and have enough nerve to take it ghost towning I will post a report. Here is a pic of the truck:

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/c0bru1s/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpghttp://image.motortrend.com/f/miscellaneous/a-laforza-to-be-reckoned-with/9908361+cr1+re0+ar1/laforza-front.jpg

Rattler
07-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Talk about laughing, I have a 1990 LaForza which is an Italian military vehicle 4WD with a Maserati interior and Ford 302 engine. It had a wiring fire and other problems with the brakes. It has been so unreliable with strange problems I sometimes wonder if the truck is haunted - not a good feeling. I have been too afraid/scared to drive it out in the desert. But when I finally get it fixed and have enough nerve to take it ghost towning I will post a report. Here is a pic of the truck:

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/c0bru1s/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpghttp://image.motortrend.com/f/miscellaneous/a-laforza-to-be-reckoned-with/9908361+cr1+re0+ar1/laforza-front.jpg

I have actually seen a Laforza. I had to get out of my truck to go look and see what the **** it was. 351 or 302 Fords in them if I remember right. I would imagine they are very difficult to get parts for.

sbruce
07-13-2009, 02:07 PM
"I would imagine they are very difficult to get parts for."

Yes, the engine is a 1990 Ford 302 5.0 liter mustang GT type with a Jeep Wagoneer NP229 transfer case and a Ford AOD tranny, so all of that is pretty easy to find parts for. And all of the high performance AFR heads etc and Edelbrock intake can be fitted if so inclined (ie if the lucky owner is crazy enough to throw away $$$ on a Laforza) .

The NP229 Wagoneer transfer case is fairly rare in itself, but does work well, and the 4WD seems to be the most reliable feature of the truck besides the 5.0 EFI engine.

The axles and brakes are Iveco which is more expensive, but the guy who bought the Laforza dealership is located in LA and he services and sells all the Iveco parts for them.

The truck is nearly 2 1/2 tons and quite heavy + 20 years old, and I am reluctant to push it too hard out in the remote desert until it has a lot more maintenance and work done. There is a Laforza for sale on ebay motors today, reading between the lines the seller only drove it about 1K miles and decided to get rid of it!

Happy 4 wheeling!

Rattler
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
I saw one on Ebay a couple years ago that needed a bumper cover (which is probably impossible to get) and it went pretty cheap considering (IIRC @ $3200-500).

shirohniichan
07-23-2009, 01:58 PM
A few months ago I got a Subaru Outback as my "all around" vehicle. It doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but it does lots of things well enough to get by. It can drive through dirt, snow and sand, so it will be my ghost town exploration vehicle.

Here's a photo from my recent trip to the Superior Valley north of Barstow:

http://www.tozai-coins.com/files/Mojave/sunset_Subie.JPG

silverstate55
07-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Wow, some nice rides here!

Now I get to play Captain Obvious:

http://www.silverstate55.com/images/misc/Dodge_2500_02.jpg

I've owned a slew of highly-modified 4x4s over the years, but this one is my favorite: '01 Dodge 2500 4x4 with Cummins Turbo Diesel: new injectors, cold air intake, high-flow intercooler crossover, DD tuner, 5-inch exhaust, and full RedLine synthetic fluids throughout (engine, tranny, axles, t-case, you name it). New high-volume fuel transfer pump & fuel lines; 2-inch front leveling kit, 35-inch Nitto Mud Grapplers on 16-inch Weld aluminum wheels (with full-size spare in bed), Johnnie Joint track bar drop mount, and a ton of small mods. Front wheel center caps are removed since I plan on installing the DynaTrac free-spin hub conversion kit soon. Hope to be able to install an ARB bullbar front bumper & front receiver hitch soon, so I can use a winch on front or rear simply by mounting it in one of the receiver hitches. Since I removed the stock spare tire & mount from underneath the bed long ago, I'd love to install an auxiliary fuel tank there...along with a full-on FASS setup, new turbo & intercooler, head studs, hardened valve seats, new high-flow exhaust manifold, etc....

Best of all, I want to repaint it camoflage whenever I get the chance (ACU or MARPAT desert, I can't decide). I'm in the process of perfecting my templates by applying an ACU pattern with DuraCoat on an AR15 rifle as practice. :D

Holy cow, this post has gone on tooooo long....

rigger45
07-26-2009, 04:36 AM
Drive to a certain point and use my feet:rolleyes:. Most of the ghost towns that I have been to are along railroads. Such as the old Santa Fe, Great Northern and SPS.

Norman Johnson
07-26-2009, 03:55 PM
I needed to have more passenger space this weekend to get to the trail, so I dove my Prius up a seven mile dirt road to the top of a mountain and there we started our hike. The Prius did better than the Willys or my Tacoma with the posi rear.

Who knew. We did hit bottom once but that was all driver error.

The cool thing about this trail was that it is more than fifty years old and hasn't been used in twenty. We had to find it for 3 1/2 miles down the side of the mountain by following a series of "blazes" on the sides of trees. There were hundreds of these markings from fifty years ago and they had all healed but were still obvious to the trained eye.

Great hike. At the bottom of the trail was a marijuana farm that hadn't operated for a while. Lots of water all the way down, azaleas, columbine, a king snake, beautiful.

NJ

Norman Johnson
07-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Here are the rest of the photo's.

dwinslow
07-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Great hike. At the bottom of the trail was a marijuana farm that hadn't operated for a while.

NJ

Just a word of warning here. Time to get out quick. You never know when they might be back or who's watching from where. And, they're usually heavily armed and take no prisoners.

brian10x
08-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't see a lot of that but I still point and laugh when I do. Almost laugh as hard at those as I do the "donks' on "32 wheels.

I always thought they were just misspelling dorks.

Rheiga
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Well right now I am sporting a Late model Kia Rio. It will get me most anywhere I go out here in the desert, minus sand pits and big rocks. I am looking into getting another 4x4 (had to get rid of my last one, couldn't afford the gas in it anymore).

silverstate55
08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Well right now I am sporting a Late model Kia Rio. It will get me most anywhere I go out here in the desert, minus sand pits and big rocks. I am looking into getting another 4x4 (had to get rid of my last one, couldn't afford the gas in it anymore).

Go diesel! I get 18-19 mpg out of my Cummins-powered Dodge, and that's with a small lift & bigger tires (2-inch front leveling kit with 35-inch Nitto Mud Grapplers). With a 35-gallon fuel tank, I can expore all day... It has GREAT ground clearance & I can carry all kinds of recovery & camping gear too.

You can pick up older Cummins-powered Dodge 4x4s CHEAP; the best ones are the 89-93 models, since those Cummins motors are ALL MECHANICAL, NO COMPUTERS of any kind!!! Next best would be the 12-valves: 94-98.

Rheiga
08-07-2009, 01:38 PM
I've been wanting to pick up a Dodge 4x4. I will deffinately look into an early 90's one for doing this kind of stuff, though it may be awhile yet before I can do that, I don't have much disposable income at this time.

ghcoe
08-14-2009, 02:18 PM
I use a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Small enough to get into tight spots. Big enough to haul your gear. They are also great off road vehicles. Comfortable ride even off road and in rocks. Not like my friends 2001 Dodge pickup. It will beat you to death. Now I have a companion to take with it. It should go nearly anywhere my jeep will go.

silverstate55
08-22-2009, 09:58 AM
ghcoe, I like the "lift kit" you installed on your tent trailer! Very nice!

ghcoe
08-30-2009, 04:53 AM
ghcoe, I like the "lift kit" you installed on your tent trailer! Very nice!

Thanks, I built it for one trip a year that our family does. It is pretty rough getting in there and we finally got tired of setting up a tent camp and sleeping on the ground. Not to mention the sand always in the bottom of the tent. Just got back from that trip and it was awesome. George.

Rattler
08-31-2009, 03:41 PM
On a recent trip the wife and I took to the UP here I got to check out a Camping Labs rooftop tent. Wow! They are nice and are decently priced too (considering how much $$ others want for them).

We need a new tent too. Hmm . . . . . .

ghost_town_huntress
08-31-2009, 09:56 PM
That's what we've got right now, a beat up '96 Dodge Ram. It gets us to where we want to go, but I have to admit, it is a pretty bumpy ride. I also sometimes take my little Saturn out (you'd be surprised where I've gotten that car to go!) Even the Saturn takes me most places I want to check out on those old bumpy dirt roads. I wouldn't recommend it though LOL!

I've been wanting to pick up a Dodge 4x4. I will deffinately look into an early 90's one for doing this kind of stuff, though it may be awhile yet before I can do that, I don't have much disposable income at this time.

Edd
09-01-2009, 03:06 PM
1986 - They stay pretty nice down here were it's dry. Fold down the rear seat, drop the tail gate and get a good nights sleep.

silverstate55
09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
1986 - They stay pretty nice down here were it's dry. Fold down the rear seat, drop the tail gate and get a good nights sleep.

OOOOH! DID YOU KNOW: the front of the frame & the front crossmember is the SAME as used in the F250 & F350? WHICH MEANS that you could swap in a diesel motor from an 80-98 F250 or F350, the motor mounts bolt right up to your front crossmember. You would have to use the tranny & transfer case from the diesel donor, and have a new rear driveshaft made (the Bronco is shorter than any of the diesel-powered pickups). You would have to use the radiator from the diesel donor; mounts could either be scavenged from the donor or made/modified yourself.

You could also swap in the front 4x4 suspension from the donor vehicle to minimize costs, and prevent the diesel's torque from tearing up that D44 TTB front axle.

I had a 1986 F350 flatbed with the gas-guzzling 460 (carb, no less...ugh) & 4-speed crashbox that I swapped a 1995 PowerStroke diesel into...the diesel came with an auto trans, so I kept it. I only had to fabricate a few things, and made templates from the rolled donor 1995 diesel for the new holes in the firewall for the computer plugs. It was a fairly straightforward swap, and having a donor vehicle made it MUCH MUCH EASIER!!! I could copy, salvage, or scavenge mounts & other small parts necessary to complete the swap. The best benefit was that when I completed this in 1998, I had basically a 3-year old truck with about 60K miles on all the parts except the cab & frame, but it was still registered as a 1986 so it was ultra-cheap on registration & insurance!!! I loved that truck, I should have kept it...

Edd
09-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Yep an F150 truck with a station wagon body = Bronco. The 250-350 just had heavier suspension. This one is so old registration and insurance are cheap anyway. In a few more years it will be classified as an antique and then it's free. I have no idea why they quit making the big Broncos, anyone that's owned one loves them.

surly357
12-14-2009, 06:49 PM
'03 wrangler. why do i get so many flat tires.......;)

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/surly357/ghosttown/DSC00197.jpg

SiloStv
03-09-2010, 02:32 PM
1991 Bronco Silver Annv. Edition w/351 & a 1983 Honda XL200R street/trail bike. Bronco's go anywhere... Gotta have BFG All Terrain A/Ts though.

Just joined the site... lots of great info on GH's here in Washington.

Darin
03-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the forum, SiloStv.

Vaquero
03-11-2010, 09:13 PM
2002 Ford F-150 FX4 Super crew shown here at Masonic.
2000 "plated" XR650R shown here along the Mojave Trail

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/ceoranger/PICT0177.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/ceoranger/tn_DSC02074.jpg

High Desert Drifter
03-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Here are our newest ghost town exploring machines!! equiped with gps, lighting and extra fuel! theres no stopping us now!

http://highdesertdrifter.shutterfly.com/493

http://highdesertdrifter.shutterfly.com/493

Vulture
03-21-2010, 06:36 PM

shirohniichan
03-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Looks like the handle to yer wooden pizza spatula done broked off, Vulture. Nice boots, though.

Norman Johnson
03-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Having only rode a very few horses, will someone explain why the "cowboy boot" even exists? Very impractical it seems to me. If humans are so GD smart, why wasn't the Nike invented a million years ago. I say Darwin had it all wrong, otherwise, humans would have hooves by now. After all, our feet no longer work in trees and they sure as He** can't get us very far on ground without some kind of substitute for real walking peds.

NJ

Vulture
03-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Of course the Cowboy boot is the unlikliest of human footware. It's not ment to be walked with.

I've worn them since I was 2 years old. At my induction physical the Army podiatriest told me I had the best arches he'd seen. I gotta' think he's seen a lot of feet.

The high top pull on boot had ben a staple of European equestrians for at least a few hundred years. The Spanish & then Mexican ranchers in the new world refined the design. Those high leather tops were protection from desert plant & animal hazards. I think the slim toe & high heel came with the development of the sturrup, toe slips in easy, heel keeps it in from going too far forward.

The very pointed toe & decorative top seems to have come with the popularity of the western film. Eye catching & all that.

It's an American signature in the worlds autograph book. All the English rock stars scarfed up 501 levi's & cowboy boots when they first toured here in the 60's.

My favorite pair of Larry Mahans with my Dad's old mexican spurs. The boots are 12+ years old & on their 4th resole, I think they'le take another.

JoeZona
03-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Cool beans there, Vulture.

dwinslow
03-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Hey Vulture, do them things stink? Just wondering.

Vulture
03-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Hey Vulture, do them things stink? Just wondering.

Yeah, pretty bad, smell like mittens.

<

Norman Johnson
03-28-2010, 02:45 PM
I wonder about another explanation for the high leather upper. (Listening to some Link Wray while I write this---Polydor Years); it seems like when riding a horse, the foot is in the stirrup and needs ankle protection pretty high up, because of the chaffing factor of the side of the horse and therefore stirrup flap hanging from the saddle. Also, any brush encountered would require that the lower leg needed protection.

Bottom line, I am guessing the high boot top came from Europe and was adopted by first the Eastern horse soldiers and then the Western cowboy. Indians of the East had high moccasin tops, but I seem to think the western Indians had low tops--even after they took to riding horses? Any thoughts?

NJ

GaryB
04-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Well I sold the Bronco last year. My Scout was under going exstensive upgrades and the Bronco was turning into another project I didn't need. Live and Learn. So I bought a new F-150 4x4 that I use for the easier stuff like what my club does. Here it is last month as we explored around Searchlight, NV
http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/44576/2137335790094197955S425x425Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2137335790094197955sCBqEq)

We also bought a Jeep Cherokee for my wife to drive and use it on the easy stuff that she feels comfortable drving on. I think I was driving it this day though on Mt. Moriah outside Ely, NV

http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/44498/2009957610094197955S425x425Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2009957610094197955Nxpnqq)

I'll post some updated pics of the Scout someday. Not much has changed as far as it's appearence yet. After I get done building a roll cage and cutting some weight off it though it will likely be worthy of a few new pics.

Ted D
04-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Yes I have driven this to the old mines and towns.... then I got to fat.5791

teds280z
04-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Gary it must be nice to have money. I need an alignment and 2 tires and some how mount 2 jerry cans and I will go for a challange climbing with youi. This 1987 Toy turbo is like a mini tank. . Cant wait to hook up with you.

GaryB
04-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Gary it must be nice to have money.

It's called credit :p You know the stuff they handed out like candy 3 years ago? IIRC illegals got a BofA card when they crossed over.

teds280z
05-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Yea I know that word. Since loseing the VA job times are tough but if the business works ???? And don't they get an american Express too?

GeologyMonkey
05-28-2010, 04:40 PM
My Four Wheel Camper
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/uploads/1273424833/gallery_2_17_49327.jpg

Marc's All Terrain Camper
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/uploads/1253218236/gallery_2_108_30981.jpg

Rattler
05-28-2010, 10:34 PM
My Four Wheel Camper

Marc's All Terrain Camper
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/uploads/1253218236/gallery_2_108_30981.jpg

:cool: Nice!! Going with a Camping Lab's rooftop tent when they get more mediums in at the end of the month.

Irish_Fiddler14
06-09-2010, 12:31 PM
i have an F-250 Ford Super Duty and a Chevy Tracker. me parents and i took the Tracker to go see Bodie! i do like the truck better, needless to say.

nfmisso
07-01-2010, 03:30 PM
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). Recently we visited Hamilton, Shermantown, Benton Mills in Nevada, and on the way home came along Nevada State Route 3c into Bodie CA.

lassen Tr. resrchr 1973
07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
E350 4x4 fully contained by "coachman" and I pull an 81 isuzu pup dsl 4x4 (pickup same size as a chevy luv)

annabie
08-04-2010, 02:50 AM
My Four Wheel Camper

WOW
It looks awesome. Wish I had one. It would be extremely convenient for travelling

KE7WOX
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
]IIRC illegals got a BofA card when they crossed over.
Wells Fargo. They seem to extensively promote their cards at the Mexican Consulate in Phoenix, like they don't even let you talk to the guard first so you can at least figure out where is the line you're looking for.

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer, lifted, 31.7" A/T tires
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1249/4726211922_051f74e47e_z.jpg

Dovecam.W
08-26-2010, 10:12 PM
My boat is 2007 Chevrolet Silverado.

Fairlane500
08-28-2010, 04:54 AM
Well, here's my current transportation on my various adventures.

http://a.imageshack.us/img825/9936/mycaray.jpg

Seen in the act of exploring at Southern Cross, Montana.

silverstateghosttowns
09-03-2010, 06:53 PM

This is the rig I use in exploring nevada ghost towns and old mining camps. A 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trails Team Edition. I photograph these old camps and post the pics up on my http://silverstateghosttowns.com web site.

GaryB
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I've talked to your son on here, but I think we have met. Where you by chance on the Lincoln County Trails Day run to Deerlodge and Fay a few years ago? If not, then you have a twin out there, I remember a tan(?) FJ with a roof tent coming along, and the guy asked if the trees on the trail were low enough to be an issue with catching on the stored tent.

silverstate55
09-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I've talked to your son on here, but I think we have met. Where you by chance on the Lincoln County Trails Day run to Deerlodge and Fay a few years ago? If not, then you have a twin out there, I remember a tan(?) FJ with a roof tent coming along, and the guy asked if the trees on the trail were low enough to be an issue with catching on the stored tent.

Yep, that's my Dad & his FJ above...but I don't think that we've ever had the pleasure of joining you on your great Lincoln County Trails Day runs yet (although that will hopefully change soon). I just moved to another home & it's going to take me forever to get settled in enough to start venturing far & wide again....SIGH...

GaryB
09-26-2010, 12:00 AM
I know what you mean. I've been busy getting our house finished so that I can hopefully put it up for sale soon, that is if I can finally get my job transfer I have been waiting for.

Anyway, your dad's FJ has a twin out there somewhere. I'll see if I can find any pics of it, though I doubt it as I rarely take pics during the actual run, mainly just on the exploration runs.

LadyDenali
09-27-2010, 09:31 PM

New to this forum, but not to ghost towns...just found Tinton on Saturday. :)

These are my Jeeps - both have served me very well!

Darin
09-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Great looking jeeps. What's kind the hight on those?

And welcome to the Ghost Towns forum!!!!

LadyDenali
09-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Thank you, Darin. The YJ (black) had a 3" lift. The new one - the TJ has a 6" inch lift with 36" rims on it. I am 5'2 on a good day...getting in has its moments!

sealbeachbum
09-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Another newbe here. Been ghost towning for a long time though. I've gotten a lot of use out of my 2000 Xterra.

Darin
09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Great looking rig...and welcome to the forum.

ripsaw
10-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Two wheels is the only way to go. Leave the cages at home.

Darin
10-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Two wheels is the only way to go. Leave the cages at home.
Hmmmm...wasn't that a quote from the book "Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenacne"???

GaryB
10-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Wow, an Xterra that actually gets dirty. Not used to that around here.

Another newbe here. Been ghost towning for a long time though. I've gotten a lot of use out of my 2000 Xterra.

A.Alan
11-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Toyota surf is the perfect ride to go there .
my lead system pro (http://www.zchand.com/10/myleadsystempro)

jamec9869
11-15-2010, 01:23 AM
I use my '04 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab (my 3rd Toy truck).

MIKE..N
12-17-2010, 07:22 AM
669966986697 i use these to get me there and have fun all the way!!!!

hang&rattle
12-17-2010, 09:25 PM
The original atv's, lol. Me and the kids can go anywhere on our 3-wheelers. Tight trails, hills, rivers and mountains. We load guns, coolers, and extra clothes on the racks and we're off.

Peter999
01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Hello all Peter the new member here.
As soon as wife and me re-locate to New Mexico I'll be adding a either a FSJ Jeep Station Waggon or a pre 1990 XJ varient to our fleet, as I'm a 4wd enthusiast I have numerous plans for the "new" machine ranging from suspension lift to locker diffs.

Vegas_Nick
01-20-2011, 10:16 PM

This is the rig I use in exploring nevada ghost towns and old mining camps. A 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trails Team Edition. I photograph these old camps and post the pics up on my http://silverstateghosttowns.com web site.

I just bought a 2010 FJ with the TRD offroad package. Ghost town hunting was the exact reason I bought it. I am also a photographer and have been wanting to photograph many of these towns and use some for backdrops for some of my fashion photography.

Oh, Hi, I'm Nick, and I just joined here yesterday!

Vegas_Nick
01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
My newly purchased ghost town transportation.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5248/5329069166_eea5b6828f.jpg

I haven't done anything to it just yet.

Darin
01-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Very nice rig, especially with the high clearance.

Oh, welcome to the forum, Nick. Hope to see some of your ghost town photos soon!!! :D

Vegas_Nick
01-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Very nice rig, especially with the high clearance.

Oh, welcome to the forum, Nick. Hope to see some of your ghost town photos soon!!! :D

Thanks! I may raise it another 3 inches at some point. :)

Hopefully we're headed to Rhyolite and Leadfield in a few weeks. I did a fashion photo shoot at Rhyolite about 10 years ago and haven't been back since. We've never been to Leadfield so that should be fun. I guess that is, if the road is open. I heard there was a lot of flood damage.

ghosttrain2
01-24-2011, 12:54 PM
6744 I use a repowered '94 Explorer, on a 3" body lift.

Jacob "Shifty Eyed" Waltz
02-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Just checked out your site and I must say I am very impressed and have it bookmarked ;)

silverstate55
02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
6744 I use a repowered '94 Explorer, on a 3" body lift.

Repowered? OOOH! Please elaborate! Gas or diesel? Original tranny or transplant? Looks like you still have the TTB front end...

mark l
02-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Can Am Commander 1000XT. It goes anywhere I point it.

bustindustin
05-25-2011, 12:09 PM
1988 Toyota 4Runner
STOCK
...this thing loves to crawl...
Pic from atop Peavine Mtn, Nv... Reno in background valley, clouds almost at eye level.

Darin
05-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Nice shot overlooking Reno and nice 4Runner. Is that a house in the background (left of the vehicle) or some type of ranger/lookout station?
...And welcome to the forum if I haven't said so already!!! :D

bustindustin
05-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome.
No house; Concrete barriers, near some tv/radio antennas on the peak of the mountain.
Wasn't ghost town hunting this trip, though there are a few mines in the area, one of which I think is still being worked...

HoosierMud
05-28-2011, 10:43 AM
An 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ).

Leonids
06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
bustindustin That is an awesome picture.

We use our 2010 Jeep Wrangler.

ghosttrain2
06-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Repowered? OOOH! Please elaborate! Gas or diesel? Original tranny or transplant? Looks like you still have the TTB front end...

drivetrain is from a wrecked '97 Eddie Bauer Ex. Build thread here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=283197