PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from exploring the El Paso Mtns and Red Rock Canyon

High Desert Drifter
04-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey everyone. Just got back from an exploration trip and thought I would share the photos! http://highdesertdrifter.shutterfly.com

LauraA
04-10-2008, 05:51 AM
Hey Frank! I was wondering where you were, glad to see you back! Those are some great shots, I'm looking forward to seeing the post on your web site.
Did you go into the mine? What was mined there? Did you take a Slurpee with you? :D

High Desert Drifter
04-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey Frank! I was wondering where you were, glad to see you back! Those are some great shots, I'm looking forward to seeing the post on your web site.
Did you go into the mine? What was mined there? Did you take a Slurpee with you? :D

I went about 25 to 30 yards in to the mine but turned around at the site of Black Widows! Have not done the research yet to expose the name of the mine or know what minerals were being sought, hopefully over the next couple of weeks I will get all this done along with posting the different sites on my web site. I was up working on the pictures and trip report till 1am this morning. I tried to talk the caretakers at Bickel camp in to purchasing a slurpee machine but they felt running the generator all day would draw to much attention from the Greenies! and they could not afford to purchase the needed carbon off sets...

bad bob
04-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Ha hah hah ahahahha hahhah LOL Frank.

Hey don't be such a danged stranger in here..jeeez.. some of us may get the wrong idea. :)

brian10x
04-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey everyone. Just got back from an exploration trip and thought I would share the photos! http://highdesertdrifter.shutterfly.com

Fantastic pictures!
When I see pictures of old cars like the one you took, it reminds me of how soft we modern explorers are.

We spend countless hours and dollars preparing our vehicles for desert exploration, puff out our chests and proclaim how tough and rugged we are, yet we forget that in the early days, reliable and automobile were rarely used in the same sentence.

(For the most part) They didn't have four wheel drive,capable suspensions, hardly any brakes at all, and most vehicles overheated in the desert, if they made it far enough on those "maypop" tires.

I guess you can't brag unless you've demounted a tire, fixed a leaky tube, manually remouted and manually pumped it back up in 120 degree heat and lived to tell about it.

They were tough old
b a s t a r d s in those days!

Joel
04-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I remember my Grandmother telling how folks would swerve to miss rabbits because they feared flats from the bones going through the inner-tubes.:rolleyes:

bob3 was bob2
04-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Nice photos, what area was that in?

High Desert Drifter
04-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Nice photos, what area was that in?

Between Red Rock Canyon State Park and Randsburg Ca.