PDA

View Full Version : thinking of building a ghost town...need help!

Joseywales
04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Hey folks, I am thinking about building a ghost town on some land I own in Nevada. interested parties should contact me and if there is enough interest from decent people I'll go from there. Joseywales_2002@yahoo.com

brian10x
04-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Hey folks, I am thinking about building a ghost town on some land I own in Nevada. interested parties should contact me and if there is enough interest from decent people I'll go from there. Joseywales_2002@yahoo.com

If it helps in your research, you may want to search on Bumble Bee, Arizona.

This was also a manufactured ghost town. I've been there, and its pretty interesting.

Joel
04-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm puzzled here. How can you build a failed town and with people even?

bad bob
04-22-2008, 10:47 PM
If you're not gesting, it may be because you're picturing the literal version of a ghost town. And you're right of course. One cannot simply build a real "ghost town". That is unless it's built on top of a haunted cemetery.

Knott's of Knotts Berry Farm built a tourist ghost, near Barstow, CA by relocating period buildings from various sites to what is now Calico.
"Ghost towns" such as Cerro Gordo are being refurbished or reconstructed one historic bldg at a time.

I think what the poster has in mind is constructing replicas of period buildings. Some lumber companies even specialize in selling old planks salvaged from demo'd historic or just old tired structures.

I'm now tossing my 2 cents into the hat. :)

Joel
04-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Ah, well that makes a little more sense. Thanks!

bad bob
04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
You're welcome. Now if I'm wrong you can't scoff because it was only worth 2 cents, and that's hardly worthy of scoffment. I think the cut off now is 7 cents. :p

speedy
04-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Inflation...Inflation. Will it ever end? Speedy

brian10x
04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm puzzled here. How can you build a failed town and with people even?

It was built as a touist trap. After a few decades, it started decaying, and now it might be a "real" yet "fake" ghost town at the same time!

Stryker_FO
05-08-2008, 08:59 AM
if you need good examples and if there is anyone on the forums from Globe AZ or plan on traveling through there.. There was a Ghost Town Built a while back near the Fairgrounds which there is a prison there now...

They have town dances and events there during the Rodeo and several other events.. (not sure if they still do)

But the name of the Town is

Two-Bits and its pretty cool it even had at one time not sure if its still there but old Presses from the Silver Belt Newspaper..

I do know in the summer there are tons of Rattlers there.. but it would more than likely serve as a good example to help with idea...

so someone might be able to get some pics for you.

Mikejts
05-08-2008, 01:18 PM
look here - not a real ghost town but good example of what could be done. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/goldfield_az.htm
I am sure there are more pictures of Goldfield if you do a google search.

Tyroler
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I could look to find ya a real Ghost in a English Castl

Tyroler
06-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Well,how far you are with your Ghost Town yet?
To you have Land?
To you sell,or hire Shares away?99 Year,for exemple?

Norman Johnson
06-18-2009, 02:10 PM
May I suggest you find and watch the movie 800 Bullets. It is a wondeful movie and very appropriate for your venture. Plus it is the only Clint Eastwood movie that does not have Clint either in it or directing it.

NJ

Tyroler
06-19-2009, 02:59 PM
:cool:Bought Yesteday "Hang hem high"
But whatever.to build a ghost town you don't need a film.
You need Land and start building,
or,you take some Partners,and each builds a building he runs,leaves in it,maybe not always,and,maybe rent Facility to Film makers,sometimes.

Joel
06-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Should have got the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. :)

Flatiron
06-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I tend to lean toward "High Plains Drifter" or the "Unforgiven".:cool:

bad bob
06-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Yep I like those too Flat. In HPD, I would have preferred more of a shocked look on the bad guys faces when they rode up to the edge of the ridge and saw that H E L L had been painted red.

Also I always thought it'd be cool to try and find that same spot on Mono Lake where the "town" had been built, to see if there were remnants of any kind left over when the set was removed.

Joel
06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
All great films of mayhem and fun! :)

Flatiron
06-21-2009, 06:39 AM
badbob...........I happen to know exactly where the town of **** was, and there is nothing left of the movie set. I was in Lee Vining when they made the film, and a few of the "old" buildings were moved a short distance away to the Dondero Ranch, where they're still being used today. One of the local kids (John Dondero) was in the movie as an extra, in the scene where Clint gave the little Indian boy a piece of candy at the Mercantile. Anyway, It's kinda interesting how the movie folks blocked out things such as power lines, buildings, etc. Clint made quite a few friends while filming at Mono Lake.......:D:)

bad bob
06-21-2009, 09:11 AM
badbob...........I happen to know exactly where the town of **** was, and there is nothing left of the movie set. I was in Lee Vining when they made the film, and a few of the "old" buildings were moved a short distance away to the Dondero Ranch, where they're still being used today. One of the local kids (John Dondero) was in the movie as an extra, in the scene where Clint gave the little Indian boy a piece of candy at the Mercantile. Anyway, It's kinda interesting how the movie folks blocked out things such as power lines, buildings, etc. Clint made quite a few friends while filming at Mono Lake.......:D:)

Thanks Flat. That's very interesting info. The ranch is no doubt private, so do they allow the public in to see the movie set buildings?

I recall the scene in the mercantile, giving all those blankets away, etc.

Flatiron
06-22-2009, 04:17 AM
bad bob...........Unless you're personal friends of the owner, you can't really see any of the buildings up close. The owner is Paiute (or Piute) and doesn't really like a bunch of folks snooping around. The buildings don't really look much different than most of the other relics in the Mono Basin, though.........

bad bob
06-22-2009, 08:59 AM
bad bob...........Unless you're personal friends of the owner, you can't really see any of the buildings up close. The owner is Paiute (or Piute) and doesn't really like a bunch of folks snooping around. The buildings don't really look much different than most of the other relics in the Mono Basin, though.........

Depending on how many were remaining, I'd have arranged them in the same exact position they were in the film, with an info plaque outside each one describing the building and it's "roll" in the movie. Then I'd offer free or low-cost tours, with options to sell items from a gift shop, as many places such as Calico do. I'd also set up a bank account for donations, and get the word out internationally. The Japanese especially, have an almost obsessive mania for Hollywood icons including anything Clint Eastwood.

But I sure appreciate the info Flatiron. :)