PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing Ghost Towns

Norman Johnson
05-12-2008, 05:17 PM
California has many ghost towns, some named, others just a few remains at the end of a bumpy dirt road or what used to serve as such. I spent four weekends this spring at Reilly. The rains this winter enabled 44 flower species in 22 familys to bloom. The Panamint harvestman was in evidence (unnamed species, genus Eurybunus), and on the last weekend, a convention of giant blister beetles were in town finishing off the remaining Acton Encilias. Is the BLM going to exploit this place for a tourist attraction and increased funding? I hope not. There goes the neighborhood.

Paladin
05-12-2008, 05:31 PM
I say if folks are genuinely interested in the historical value of a particular town, they'll research it on their own. So I'm not telling unless I am certain the persons intentions are good. In otherwords, a teenager with a truck full of buddies and beer isn't getting directions from me.

Joel
05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks to the internet, a lot of information is open to the public. I don't mind sharing if it's already available, but some places I keep quiet as to the exact location.

LauraA
05-13-2008, 02:18 AM
I'll share directions if I'm convinced the person has a genuine interest, otherwise, no way.
Now if we could just come up with a way to keep the Forest Service and BLM from finding them and spending their superfund money on bulldozers. :(

mainmanwalkin
05-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I'll give directions online to parks that have ghost towns within them, since this information is public anyway. However even in that case I wont offer it unless someone asks and seems interested rather than bored and destructive.

For instance: The ghost town of Flamingo is in Everglades National Park, but the town itself is about 4 miles down an old overgrown walking trail. Have no problem telling people this, as only someone with a genuine interest would go thru that much trouble to reach it.

Spruce Bluff, on the other hand, is located within a much smaller park, now situated between two large new gated communities. All that remains of the town is the cemetery which has been vandalized to the point that now there is only a single fairly new monument stating the names of those buried there. Even though its a public park it's an easy target, so I'm careful about that one.

All other ghost towns I'll give general area directions if asked, and will get more specific under the right circumstances, but not posting them on an open board or forum.

I'll share directions if I'm convinced the person has a genuine interest, otherwise, no way.
Now if we could just come up with a way to keep the Forest Service and BLM from finding them and spending their superfund money on bulldozers. :(

DirtyDog
05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
How can you know who to trust and who not to? You have an OPEN FORUM. You do not have the right to pick and chose-that is discrimination. Why doesn't that drunken teenager with his bus-load of buddies have as much right as you or me? Who made you God? If you have a private place then don't tell anybody-keep it private.

ghost_town_huntress
05-14-2008, 11:27 PM
*Sniff* Wishing I could get out and visit some ghost towns. Haven't been able to for awhile and won't this year pretty much at all because this pregnancy's been pretty tough on me, doctor told me to take it easy. But next year I'll be back, hopefully with a vengeance.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Gravelrash
05-15-2008, 03:44 AM
*Sniff* Wishing I could get out and visit some ghost towns. Haven't been able to for awhile and won't this year pretty much at all because this pregnancy's been pretty tough on me, doctor told me to take it easy. But next year I'll be back, hopefully with a vengeance.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

GTH - I hope it all goes well. Been thinking about the "bump" and wondering how things were going. Great to see you are still firing on most cylinders!

GaryB
05-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Why doesn't that drunken teenager with his bus-load of buddies have as much right as you or me? Who made you God?

You're joking right?

So if I go through the trouble find a place listed on the internet that doesn't have exact turn by turn directions, I should have to give up my discovered information to who ever asks for it, regardless of their intent?

Sorry, but anyone that is too dumb or ignorant or just flat *** lazy to spend some time doing their own research to find these places, likely doesn't have the best interest of the historical site in mind IMO. Granted, you can't always tell someone's intended purpose on finding these sites, but myself I can usually tell enough by their way of asking or explaining the need for them. If I feel they are sincere, I might tell them enough to guide them to the right spot with a little work on their end. IF I know them, I'll give them GPS coordinates.

But I'll be ****** if I'm going to just toss around directions because I feel someone wants a cheap thrill, especially after I did countless hours of research and driving to find a particular spot. All in the idea of not being labeled a discriminate? Please, that's a right every person has and uses; anyone that claims otherwise is living a dream.

And you're right, we have an open forum. So that means we can ignore the request just as easy as we can give some help. It doesn't mean we have to say anything regardless of who asks. Someday if you're bored, look through the threads to see how many unanswered questions about locations there are. You might also find out there's lots of back channel talk through PM's between members concerning such things.

bad bob
05-15-2008, 06:50 PM
You're joking right?

So if I go through the trouble find a place listed on the internet that doesn't have exact turn by turn directions, I should have to give up my discovered information to who ever asks for it, regardless of their intent?

Sorry, but anyone that is too dumb or ignorant or just flat *** lazy to spend some time doing their own research to find these places, likely doesn't have the best interest of the historical site in mind IMO. Granted, you can't always tell someone's intended purpose on finding these sites, but myself I can usually tell enough by their way of asking or explaining the need for them. If I feel they are sincere, I might tell them enough to guide them to the right spot with a little work on their end. IF I know them, I'll give them GPS coordinates.

But I'll be ****** if I'm going to just toss around directions because I feel someone wants a cheap thrill, especially after I did countless hours of research and driving to find a particular spot. All in the idea of not being labeled a discriminate? Please, that's a right every person has and uses; anyone that claims otherwise is living a dream.

And you're right, we have an open forum. So that means we can ignore the request just as easy as we can give some help. It doesn't mean we have to say anything regardless of who asks. Someday if you're bored, look through the threads to see how many unanswered questions about locations there are. You might also find out there's lots of back channel talk through PM's between members concerning such things.

Well done Gary B, I hafta agree on every single point.

There's just NO possible way in the world I could have answered that msg any better. :)

Gravelrash
05-16-2008, 05:31 AM
.....(A)ll in the idea of not being labeled a discriminate? Please, that's a right every person has and uses; anyone that claims otherwise is living a dream.

I like the boy. H-e-l-l, what's not to like about people talking straight and telling it like it is?

The wonderful thing about inconvenient truths is.... they inconvenience all the right people!

teds280z
05-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Yahooo Gary. I to had to do research both on the internet,
maps, and books(I can even Read them). I don't know anyone here in Reno so do it on my own.

NWNative
06-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Deciding who to share information with is not discrimination. The information that I have spent hours or even years digging up is mine. I found it, so could someone else if they spent the time and effort. I may share it with someone, I may not - MY decision. There is a lot of information I have that I don't intend to share with the general public, my age for instance!

Point is, if it's general knowledge then anyone can do the work. If it's not, I can choose who to share it with.