PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help Finding A Ghost Town!!

misplacedfriday
05-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi, I'm new to the Southern Colorado area. I'm very interested in finding Independence in Teller County. My friend and I searched all through Victor to find it based on the directions from this website. We ended up going a ways down this one gravel road that lead to a reservoir. We were glad that we at least found something so it wasn't a total loss. Anyway, if anyone can help us that would be great. If this sounds familiar to anyone (the reservoir) maybe you could tell us directions from that road. We think we found Goldfield but the directions from this website didn't make sense if we did. If anyone knows the area well enough to give us very precise directions it would be greatly appreciated. :)

DirtyDog
05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Go to "Google Maps" type in Independence Colorado and it will take you there. So simple yet nobody uses it. Satellite view indicates 2 towns; other town is Goldfield. Both are ghosts. Your reservoir is south of Goldfield. Independence is 500 feet west. Lots of roads, lots of buildings...have fun

misplacedfriday
05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion, I tried Mapquest but didn't try Google Maps. Google Maps was more specific. Has anyone been there?

40FORDJIM
05-14-2008, 07:48 AM
According to Kenneth Jessen's book "Ghost Towns Colorado Style, Vol. Two" (ca 1999): From Cripple Creek go to Victor; then Goldfield, then northeasterly on a paved road to Bull Hill (should be a 2 story brick house there). Then turn northwesterly; a little way up take the left fork and Independence is about 3/4 mile away. The book says Independence had a pop. over 1000 but now little is left. "A cluster of homes sits in a shallow gulch on the hillside overlooking the many mines in the area".
Good Luck in your search.

Jack B.
05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Platted on 12 acres, Nov, 1894, north of Goldfield, in a ravine between Battle Mtn. and Bull Cliff. It was named after Stratton's Independence mine. It was originally Hull's City. Cripple Creek is (?) one of my favorite places in Colo. Lived the summer of 1978 there but have not been there in 25 yrs. Jack B.

Big daddy Mack
05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
There are two ghost town known as Independence , CO. The more famous one and the one with buildings still standing and informational signs all over the property is locateed in central colorado. Take Highway 24 west to Buena Vista, Co. In Buena Vista Hwy 24 turns north. Go about 15 miles out of town and watch for the signs that say Twin Lakes. Turn left on State Hwy 82. Go to the top of Indenpendence Pass (this is a two-lane asphalt road that can only be traversed during the summer months - closed in winter). As you head down the pass you will start seeing the signs for the ghost town of Independence, CO. If you keep going on Hwy 82 you will eventually come into Aspen, CO. HAVE AGREAT TRIP.