PDA

View Full Version : Just returned from our 2nd Trip to the Mojave Desert

High Desert Drifter
05-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Pictures can be seen here. Hope you all enjoy as much as we did taking them!

http://highdesertdrifter.shutterfly.com

brian10x
05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I love all those pictures of the caves, and it looks like the mine is still active?

I also enjoyed seeing some of the photos in black and white, it makes old stuff look even older.

In one of the pictures, it looks like maybe someone lost a warhead off a missle? How much do you want for it ? I'll pay more if its nuclear.

Gravelrash
05-30-2008, 03:42 AM
REALLY good shots Drifter. Thanks for sharing.

danbo
05-30-2008, 06:16 AM
In one of the pictures, it looks like maybe someone lost a warhead off a missle? How much do you want for it ? I'll pay more if its nuclear.

http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b8db08b3127cce98548b37acc300000027100CbsW7do3ZsR

I think it's a "space capsule" I saw one like it once on another site.

http://www.picattic.com/files/gkg5yhssvuc3e2hoqcga.jpg

Awesome pics, thanks Drifter.

High Desert Drifter
05-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks Guys! glad you enjoyed the pictures. I can't wait to get the trip report and the individual site descriptions up on my web site. Actually those space capsule looking things are the tops to some silo's that were located around the ore processing plant located just opposite the mine. The mine in this case was talc, so it may have something to do with processing that type of material?

If it were a nuke I would have already mailed it to Hillary and Bill!:)

brian10x
05-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Maybe I should visit the mine after all. Sometimes I get a little chafing here and there.

bad bob
05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Guys! glad you enjoyed the pictures. I can't wait to get the trip report and the individual site descriptions up on my web site. Actually those space capsule looking things are the tops to some silo's that were located around the ore processing plant located just opposite the mine. The mine in this case was talc, so it may have something to do with processing that type of material?

If it were a nuke I would have already mailed it to Hillary and Bill!:)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha I can see them now ducking for cover, Drifter.

Yes suh, them pitchur thingys were just greatifically beautimus. Thank ye kindly.
:p

LauraA
05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey Frank, those are TWO Slurpee pics, thanks for sharing them. We kinda miss you being on the forum as much, but I understand there's a real world out there....somewhere.

High Desert Drifter
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Hey Frank, those are TWO Slurpee pics, thanks for sharing them. We kinda miss you being on the forum as much, but I understand there's a real world out there....somewhere.

Well don't count me out just yet! Work was busy and I have been studying for a test I needed to take to progress my career. But I am back now. Besides, I could never leave you guys...

teds280z
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Just checking whats happening High Desert Drifter. Ive always enjoyed your pic and posts. Have you been out wandering more?

High Desert Drifter
07-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Just checking whats happening High Desert Drifter. Ive always enjoyed your pic and posts. Have you been out wandering more?

Well thank you. just been trying to avoid the heat and prepare for a busy fall full of exploring. August is here so I will be sitting at my computer putting together all my research and mapping. I am hoping for three trips between Sept. and November if i'm lucky... Something East of Reno, maybe a return trip to the Elbow to explore the Pine Grove Mountians or near Mammoth Lakes and I would like to make it back to Mina Nevada to shore up some sites that I missed the first time there. keep my fingers crossed!

bishop13
09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I remember visiting the Old Dutch Cleanser mine about 5 years ago with a bunch of 4x4 guys, but I have never been able to find it again. Your pics bring back great memories :) Any chance I could bother you with directions?

High Desert Drifter
09-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I remember visiting the Old Dutch Cleanser mine about 5 years ago with a bunch of 4x4 guys, but I have never been able to find it again. Your pics bring back great memories :) Any chance I could bother you with directions?

No problemo' do you use GPS?

Johnnie
09-20-2008, 08:42 AM

We don't know if this is related to the mine or the sign is where the mine is but back in 1951 our Boy Scout Troup were camping out just N/E of Calico Ghost Town on a dirt road that may have been the main road back in the 1920s and the sign itself must have dated back to the 1920s and this was in one the canyons and our campsite was just next to a huge billboard sign that was least 10ft high and 20ft wide advertising Old Dutch Cleaser showing the girl that is shown on the old Dutch Cleaser cans. I wish i had taking a photo of the sign but but did not but was very historical as the ghost town over the next hill. I wonder if any one took a photo of that old sign or where we could find one. If so please post it for the rest of us. Thanks

Your Fellow Ghsttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
09-21-2008, 02:10 AM
I'm not sure if this is the sign you're talking about Johnnie, but check out this site, there's some interesting reading about the mine as well. Old Dutch Cleanser Mine (http://www.mine-engineer.com/mining/dutch.htm)