PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Live?

OmarJXII
06-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Music Education with a vocal emphasis. I am not sure where in the wide world I want to live, but always thought it would be great to live in a small town. I mean real small, less than 100 people. I don't know if I would love it or if I would hate it, but I think it would be a real great experience to try it out before I either figure out where I want to live or decide that a "ghost town" is where I want to be. I am also looking for a place that is somewhat isolated. I know there are a lot of small population towns, but they are just a stones throw from the rest of the world. I am looking for a very shut off short of experience. Does anyone know of a place like this where I could live, and support myslef, for a couple of months? I would need to be able to have a job and pay for lodgings and food as well as possible transportation needs if I couldn't get around on bicycle or walking. Thank you.

Omar

old judge
06-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Omar...I suggest a private message to BrianX10. I'm certain he would have some great advice for you that probably should not be shared with us common folk. OJ

brian10x
06-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Omar...I suggest a private message to BrianX10. I'm certain he would have some great advice for you that probably should not be shared with us common folk. OJ

Personally,
I'm about fed up and would like nothing better than to drop out of society.
Problem is, I'm too weak to live without ac, though I could cut firewood for heat. Then there's the problem of no money .
If I could afford a place like that, and could afford wireless internet, and food for me and 2 small dogs, I'm in.

Now if I had a business partner with connections, we could intercept drug deals out in the desert, kill or apprehend the dealers, turn in the drugs, and keep the money.

OmarJXII
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm not looking for a roommate. I want to be on my own as much as anybody else. I'm just looking for a town of say 40 or so people, in the middle of nowhere, that I can find two month employment that doesn't involve tourists.

campp
06-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Not to discourage your dream, but I think it's that employment thing that will be VERY difficult to find in a small town. Especially if you discount tourism. Good luck, though!

teds280z
06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Sounds like you might want Gabbs, NV. This town is almost ghost and there is a magnesium mine there where you might work. Also in Ione, NV another almost ghost around Gabbs, Berlin area,Berlin is a GT. These are in about the center of the state. There is a road between Berlin and Ione just not totally maintained but passable.:D

Norman Johnson
06-30-2008, 05:38 PM
It is not normal to seek such an existence. That is why it is strange that you have come to us. Of course we will encourage you, even give you suggestions, however, we know our ourselves and our weaknesses. You are young, grasshopper. Go find some grass and hop. Be normal. Someday when you are old and wise, such an existense as you seek might be there for you. Until then bury yourself in the big city, work long hours, chase women, and visit websites like this only to relieve yourself that you are truly not like us. NJ

OmarJXII
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the info teds280z. How do you know about these towns? Also, looking at the map, I see that there is a ghost town called Luning about 30 miles away and that it is about 10 minles from Mina. Mina apparently has a school. I am a teacher so anywhere with a school works for me as long as I can substitute teach. I only need money for rent, utilities, food and travel. Not necessarily cheap, but no life of luxury either. Do you know anything about these places? Do you happen to live near them? And Norman, I appreciate the concerns, but don't worry, I'm not looking to run away forever, at least not yet. The big city is exactly what I don't want to bury myself in. I'm just looking for a two month stint for now.

David A. Wright
07-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Luning, Nevada is not a ghost town, it has an operating post office. It's also astride a busy highway, the main Las Vegas to Reno highway, with lots of truck traffic. Though not particularly ugly, Luning is in the desert.

Might I suggest Jarbidge, Nevada? Very isolated, nearly astride the Idaho border. A year round population of about 25. It does have a post office, operating three days weekly. Dirt roads. One restaurant, a gas station and rustic motel. Lots of alpine scenery. What properties I've seen for sale seem to be reasonable. See my webpage on Jarbidge at:

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/jarbidge.html

Midas, Nevada is also another nice semi-ghost town. Less than 50 people. A bar and another restaraunt. Some 30 miles or so of dirt roads to get there. No pavement in or around town. Beautiful scenery, though not as alpine as Jarbidge.

teds280z
07-01-2008, 09:57 AM
:cool: Good suggestions: I have been to the towns I mentioned. The family restaurant in Gabbs had a great breakfast, everything homemade or home grown. If you would need a job I would definately. I did not see much to do in Ione. There is a area in California that has alot of small towns is look over the towns on US395 south of Carson City. NV. What I am thinking about is Independence, Big Pine, Lone Pine, Clifornia. Beautiful area of desert and Mts. GTs all over there

David A. Wright
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Also in Ione, NV another almost ghost around Gabbs, Berlin area,Berlin is a GT. These are in about the center of the state. There is a road between Berlin and Ione just not totally maintained but passable.:D
My webpage recounting a 2006 camping trip at Ione and others nearby (and also Gabbs) is at:

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/trips/t2006a.htm

Lots of photos of each place.

For a humorous look at a mid-1980s trip in the same region, plus historical facts about the towns, see my page at:

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/essays/ione.html

OmarJXII
07-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks teds, all of them look great, but what I'm looking for is a little more like what David was suggesting, only, close to a hospital and other such things. Midas seems just about perfect, except for that it is a 2.5 hour ride in the case of a medical emergency. And that is assuming I have a way to get there. Any others?

Vulture
07-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Omar, Just to make sure I'm getting this straight...you want to live in a remote town of about 40 population, in the middle of nowhere, close to a hospital, that offers part time employment in your specialized field, for two months while you spend your spare time admiring your manly collection of pez toys. ? !

Here's my suggestion, quit yanking our chain & go chase your tail.

<

hummingbird
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
My plans is to move into a ghost town in AZ and live in my rv. In this manner I can have most of my needs like electric and water and still a roof over my head. With solar panels and a generator one should be able to live in comfort.:D

hummingbird
07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
My plans is to move into a ghost town in AZ and live in my rv. In this manner I can have most of my needs like electric and water and still a roof over my head. With solar panels and a generator one should be able to live in comfort.:D

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/images/misc/progress.gif

OmarJXII
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Omar, Just to make sure I'm getting this straight...you want to live in a remote town of about 40 population, in the middle of nowhere, close to a hospital, that offers part time employment in your specialized field, for two months while you spend your spare time admiring your manly collection of pez toys. ? !

<
Actually Vulture,
Just encase I was not clear in my other posts, I am looking for a small town that is not much further than 1.5 hours to a hospital encase of an unforseen medical emergency. I will take any type of employment, but am certified to teach, which helps with finding work because I can substitute teach any subject. As per my PEZ collection, for a two month trip it shant be coming with me for a two month venture. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them, or are you done being a jerk for no reason?

OmarJXII
07-02-2008, 12:17 PM
That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea, except that I am already looking at at least $500 in travel costs to get out that way and another $500 or so to get back. I don't have an RV to travel in and even if I did, I would be looking at a much higher gas cost. As per water and electricity, as long as there is somewhere I can get clean water I should be okay. I've lived without electricity before and it would be no problem to do it again. But, if this should become a long term desire, maybe I'll look into the same thing.

Vulture
07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Actually Vulture,
Just encase I was not clear in my other posts, I am looking for a small town that is not much further than 1.5 hours to a hospital encase of an unforseen medical emergency. I will take any type of employment, but am certified to teach, which helps with finding work because I can substitute teach any subject. As per my PEZ collection, for a two month trip it shant be coming with me for a two month venture. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them, or are you done being a jerk for no reason?

What!? Do mine eyes deceive me? I was sure as I could be this is a complete spoof that...well...I just couldn't take it seriously, but I do now. Your reckless spirit is untamed. I believe you are a genuine seeker.

Although I find your proposition incredible, what the H ell, best of luck.

No hard feelings I hope, & let us know how it goes.

I shant bother you no more.

<

bad bob
07-02-2008, 02:58 PM

<

Deleted because problem was solved peacefully. Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

David A. Wright
07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
OmarJXII - I've read your private message but haven't responded to it yet. Please be patient. I don't have Internet connection at home, just getting it from the library hot spot an hour away now and then. I didn't have the battery power at the time to respond, and still plan to, but want to take the time to write up something intelligent in NotePad, then copy and past into a PM back to you.

As for Midas, if you check out the Midas page on this site, you'll see photos I submitted from a trip in 2001. At the time, Midas' historic school was just restored and was a beautiful building inside and out. I stopped by Midas a month ago and found the building had burned to the ground. A real shame. The school was used as a town center and museum, as there are no school aged children.

As for your concerns about hospital, the nearest hospital to Midas is in Winnemucca, about 1.5 hours away. The dirt road to Midas is maintained and can be as smooth as a paved highway.

As for Jarbidge, the nearest hospital would be Twin Falls, Idaho, which would be in the neighborhood of 2.5-3.5 hours away. There is a school in Jarbidge, in an old single wide mobile home, but it's boarded shut upon my last visit, likely because there is no school aged children there. The majority of Jarbidge's population is 50+ years old.

LauraA
07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Omar, your post got me thinking. I remember a few years ago a friend went to work at Apache Lake Marina & Resort. They worked his rear end off for a few busy months, but the work was pleasant and the surroundings breathtaking to say the least. Housing was furnished to him, but I don't know the details. He did mention that he really enjoyed the solitude.
Apache Lake is located along the scenic Apache Trail in Arizona, bordering the Superstition Wilderness. Yes, it's isolated but going to town for supplies is still doable.
Don't let the word "resort" bother you, it's not one of those ritzy places with spas & scented bubble baths. It's mostly frequented by campers and fishermen.
Here's a link to their website with their phone number and address.

Apache Lake Marina and Resort (http://www.apachelake.com/)

Joel
07-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Omar..not sure where you're from or your background, but a lot of folks in more isolated areas have radios and will always go the extra mile to help out others in need (rides to the hospital if needed).

The catch is that your love of a small town without tourism just puts most of towns that size out of the list.

Tsarevna
07-03-2008, 03:00 AM
There is a town in Oregon called Timber. Population is less than 100 at this time. They still have a post office. Lots of little tiny communities around that are former logging towns. You could get a job as a hook-tender logger. Maybe even be on the documentary drama tv show Ax Men, if you so desired.

Logging makes you alot of money but has huge risks to your life. It's very possible you could get a log dropped on you and killed on the job. You'd have to work hard, and in the rain sometimes.

Should an accident happen at work, usually life-flight comes from portland, and that's a 20 minute helicoter flight. If you drive it's 1 hour. But for some minor thing like stitches needed, 20 minutes away in the town of North Plains is a clinic.

Norman Johnson
07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Omar, Since you persist, I will list the smallest of towns, Darwin, California. Quirky, good water, electricity, probably a place you can camp--er--I mean rent cheap. If you want a small town that is not so small, restaraunts, movie theater, no stoplights, artsy, music campus, try Idyllwild, CA. Small town feel, 5,300 feet, pines and granite to 11,000, jobs, cheap rentals, but still in Southern Cal., on the Pacific Crest Trail, teaching jobs if you want them, maybe this is for you to live for the rest of your life. Like I said, small town feel, jobs, still close to civilization---women---and such. NJ

hummingbird
07-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. By the way I am a very adverturous 65yr young woman and have always done some crazy things according to others but I am here to say that I have and will enjoy my life doing the things that I want to do and dream about.

HollyDolly
07-10-2008, 08:00 AM
;) Don't know where you are at,but go to www.texasescapes.com (http://www.texasescapes.com)
They list all kinds of Texas towns that have small populations. Some other them are quite small in populations.
Not sure how many people live in Leming,Tx for example,but you could teach in the school there if they have one or in Plesanton ISD.Either Pleasanton or Jourdanton has a hospital and the towns have websites.There is also Christine and Charlotte,also in Atascosa county.Or you could live or teach in Marion,Tx.It has more than 40 people,but is a small town, and near Seguin,my county seat.seguin is the seat for Guadalupe Countyand has a hosptial as does New Braunfels,Tx.Marion has it's own school district.
Living there you can drive up to new Braunfels to go tubing on the Guadalupe river,or you can drive to Austin or even go to San Antonio for a day of shopping and sightseeing if you want to.San Antonio is closer.
There is also Waring in Kendall County,though you would have to drive to Comfort as I think Warning doesn't have a school anymore.
Anyhow, there are some interesting towns small and large in Texas to check out.

Tyroler
05-06-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.leavittmeadows.com/

Job Opportunities

We are currently recruiting energetic individuals to become part of the Leavitt Meadow's staff for the 2009 season. Do not pass up this great opportunity. We have many positions available including: Packers, Back Country Cook and Facility Care Taker (includes cooking, light cleaning, interacting with customers and shopping). We are looking for the following characteristics anand abilities:

1.) Love for the outdoor
2.)Experience and love for horses and mules
3.)Ability to ride for 2 - 8 hours per day
4.)Very Enthusiastic
5.)Team oriented
6.)Likes to interact with customers
7.)Self starter
8.)Quick Learner
9.)Back country cooking experience preferred
10.)Shoeing and previous packing experience preferred

Applicants must be 18 years of age and be available from mid June through September (special considerations for early start college students may be arranged.)
(Duties and qualification depend on desired position)

If you are interested please contact us at jobs@leavittmeadows.com (jobs@leavittmeadows.com). Attaching your resume is recommended.

danny_stoddard
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM
sounds like he needs to run off to Stehekin, Wa or Powers, Or

Flatiron
05-07-2009, 03:48 AM
Great place to work and live. As beautiful country as you can find anywhere. I lived only a short jaunt from Leavitt (Lee Vining) for years and camped/fished the Sonora Pass area weekly. This would be a great opportunity for an outdoor lover for sure. If I wasn't so old I wouldn't mind applying for one of theses jobs myself.....

davidrb9
09-26-2009, 05:42 AM
There is a small town, population of 75, that I have always found to be interesting. It is called Leadore, ID. Gilmore, ID (an old mining town) is located about 15 miles south. Jobs vary there. Most would be on the ranches around the area. Good luck with your search.

silverstate55
09-26-2009, 09:50 AM
What about Hawai'i? The Big Island has LOTS of out-of-the-way small towns that are within a short drive to a hospital or medical clinic. And there are LOTS of artistic types in many of them.

Not being a smart-aleck, just something I noticed on our travels there. I'd LOVE to live there!

acpilot
09-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Have you looked into working a fire tower for the USFS? I fly Air Attack for a company based in AZ and many of those towers are out there in the middle of the forest. You'll have a radio, water (a manual pump, anyway), and a place to sleep every night. Typical population: 1.

Theresagram
10-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Tortilla Flat Az is pop 6.

Albin
10-29-2009, 04:01 AM
A couple more ideas. I don't know the populations, but they are all small, out in the middle of nowhere and are 1-3 hours from a hospital.

Denio, NV. On the OR and NV border a couple hours from Winnemucca.

Fields, OR. About a half hour from Denio, near the Alvord Desert.

Rachel, NV. Closest town to Area 51 aka Groom Lake Air Force Base.

Current, NV. Halfway between Tonopah and Ely, NV.

Goldpoint, NV. almost a ghost, about halfway between Beatty and Tonopah, NV. Lida, Silverpeak and Dyer are in this same area, but I've never been to any of them, so you're on your own on these.

Crystal, NV, halfway between Beatty and Pahrump, NV; haven't been there, but it's a very small town.

Death Valley Junction, CA near the NV border. Pretty much a ghost, although I think there is still one business left open, as of July 2008.

Hiko, Ash Springs, Alamo, all small towns on the east side of the Nellis/Area 51 range. Last time I was there (summer 2008) it appeared that development from LV was starting to show up south of Alamo.

Nixon, NV, south side of Pyramid Lake, mostly an Indian reservation

Gerlach and Empire, NV. Gerlach has a couple hundred people and Empire is a company town, but both are fairly small. One gas station, one bar/motel and a PO. The one store and other gas station closed down in an ownership battle about a year ago (the Empire store). To get groceries is a 2 hour drive to Reno or Fernely.

All I got right now.

Good luck.

Al

GaryB
10-29-2009, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't recommend living in Crystal, NV. Unless you like visiting brothels regularly.

Wolfgang
10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Tortilla Flat Az is pop 6.

Very interesting. I'd never heered of Tortilla Flat Az. Googled it . . .

http://tortillaflat.net/ :)

Looks pretty "touristy" to me.

Albin
10-29-2009, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't recommend living in Crystal, NV. Unless you like visiting brothels regularly.

Is that what it's for??? Ha Ha Ha!!! My son and I passed that on our way to Beatty summer 2008, just drove by it on the main highway, didn't go into town to see it. I looked it up on GE when I got home and it looked like a little farming community.

Now I have a reason to go visit it!

Thanks,

Al

silverstate55
10-29-2009, 09:40 AM

The He ll's Angels who run most of those brothels along US95 will probably give you a good deal on some methamphetamine, if purchased in combination with one of the working girls' services.

Albin
10-30-2009, 03:33 AM
You mean like this place?

Scotty's Junction, NV.

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/All-4-Fun_06/Al_CO_06/02/239.jpg

Or this place?

Beatty, NV (now closed)

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/All-4-Fun_06/Al_CO_06/02/246.jpg

Vulture
10-30-2009, 06:05 AM
The He ll's Angels who run most of those brothels along US95 will probably give you a good deal on some methamphetamine, if purchased in combination with one of the working girls' services.

Well, this settles my vacation plans!...but what to do with the wife & kids???
<

JoeZona
10-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Better bring plenty of Viagra with you...you'll need it for most of those girls

Vulture
10-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Better bring plenty of Viagra with you...you'll need it for most of those girls

Hmmm...I know that link's around here somewhere...

<

JoeZona
10-30-2009, 12:27 PM
And don't forget to call your doctor for any erection lasting more than 4 hours...:rolleyes:

GaryB
11-01-2009, 08:40 PM
You mean like this place?

Scotty's Junction, NV.

Or this place?

Beatty, NV (now closed)

The first one has become so dilapidated and destroyed by people breaking in that it's likely only worth the land value.

I think the second one might have been bought out and reopened, at least I have seen cars there the last few times I drove by it. Maybe it's by special appointment :eek: