PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Group Trip to Lucky S August 2nd!

onederwomyn
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Anyone around Reno or Lucky S location (Plumas County CA)? I am coming out for vacation and hoping the **** fires clear...

At any rate, Teds and I are meeting up to go out to Lucky S and would love for some others to join. It will be August 2nd...pretty early in the morning. We can leave out of Reno or meet you there.

Anyone else in??

teds280z
07-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I know there are a few of GT'ers in Sac, Northern CA Western NV. Please answer I would like to get in touch and the more the marrier. If anyone answers we can meet at Antelope Lake or Taylorsville. I dare all of you!!!!:cool:

teds280z
07-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Also meet in Reno. Onderwomyn I'm wondering if anyone has the g**s to go up there?:cool:

GS-RON
07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Also meet in Reno. Onderwomyn I'm wondering if anyone has the g**s to go up there?:cool:

With that kind of challenge I'm tempted to bring the rock buggy and see it anyone has the b***s to follow.

Sounds like fun, 90% sure I can go. Living in Paradise and being a few miles (as the crow flies) from the fires things may get wierd in the next little bit. Taylorsville or the Lake doesn't matter to me. Name a time and place as the date draws near and I'll do my best.... RON

PS will be driving my 06 Tacoma Prerunner, A/C in August is a must....

bad bob
07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I know there are a few of GT'ers in Sac, Northern CA Western NV. Please answer I would like to get in touch and the more the marrier. If anyone answers we can meet at Antelope Lake or Taylorsville. I dare all of you!!!!:cool:

Coloma, a few miles north of Placerville (which is on US 50) is a must-see. Sutter's Mill replica is here in this tri-level town, and is where the 1848-49 Ca gold rush began. There are several others scattered in the area, a guide book is essential or at least google "CA State route 49", or "Mother Lode Country".

Another must-see southeast of Reno is Virginia City, NV. Though some may consider it touristy, it still retains enough originality to make it well worth the effort to get there (IMO).

teds280z
07-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Cool GS-RON: onederwomyn and her friend are going up to Lassen afterwards so we will have to leave early from Reno.
Ray and I are camping at Antelope Lake Saturday night, try some fishing. I know the host and will go up and reserve the site. Oh yea it is the campground on the south side of the Lake. And your right my Kia is not set up yet.:cool:

GS-RON
07-14-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't know how many campground hosts they have up there. If it's Chuck tell him Ron from the Eagles in Paradise said Hi.....

Post a meeting place and time as the date draws near and I'll do my best to be there. Fires are on the decline and mostly contained as of this weekend so chance of "weirdness" is slim.... RON

teds280z
07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
I wrote her a private msg to see if her friend and her can meet us at the Lake. The host I know is Don, and I am going up this wkend or next to see if he can hold a site. If she will meet us at the lake I'll go up on Friday morn and have a site and a 2 day license for CA fishing. I'll let you know:cool:

Tsarevna
07-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Check out my directions on how to get there!

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?p=34414&posted=1#post34414

:cool:

GS-RON
07-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I wrote her a private msg to see if her friend and her can meet us at the Lake. I t is Chuck and I am going up this wkend or next to see if he can hold a site. If she will meet us at the lake I'll go up on Friday morn and have a site and a 2 day license for CA fishing. I'll let you know:cool:

Saw Chuck earlier this week in Paradise. Told him a few of us were coming up on the 2nd. I think he will enjoy the company.

Told him I woud stop by either on the way in or out depending on the sched.... RON

onederwomyn
07-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Update...we are now meeting Ron at the Chevron at the Janesville exit at 8:00 AM...(I will be bright eyed and still on Eastern time)...;)

GS-RON
07-29-2008, 06:27 AM
For me meeting at Janesville is at least an hour (each way) out of the way. It's a bunch shorter and easier for me to come up via Taylorsville and meet at the lake.

Ted mentioned going in to the Lucky S via Hungry Creek Rd.

If that's still the case I'll be at the parking lot at the west end of the Dam @ Antelope Lake by 8:30. I'll be in my Silver 06 Taco..... RON

teds280z
07-29-2008, 06:41 AM
I think Ron, that you don't need to be at the dam until 0900 as we have the drive from Janesville up and I have to stop at my campsite briefly. I am staying at the Long Point Campground and the host I met is Don. This is on the short way to the dam. I guess you know what I drive by my avitar. Onederwomyn and Ron what do you think about lunch up there? I can bring hamburgers, condiments, buns and my campstove. Nothing line lunch in a early 1900's town. Somebody needs to bring chips,and anything else. The drinks or we all bring our own? I am looking forward to meeting you all and bring everyone that wants to come I will just need a count so I know how much food.:cool: :D ;) :)

GS-RON
07-30-2008, 05:33 AM
9:00ish at the dam it is. 99% of the time I go thru there on my Motorcyce and it's about 20mins from the dam to Janesville. I forget I'm on 4 wheels and need to double the travel time.....

Burgers sound great. I'll grab a couple of bags of chips Fri eve and some other munchies. I agree, bring your own drinks....

Looking forward to this... RON

PS I'll be flying solo this trip.

teds280z
07-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Sounds good, I might make that fast I just don't know how many other drivers will be chasing me as I'll use the road like a road course. :cool: :rolleyes: :eek:

GS-RON
07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Well CRAP, due to 2 new fires near Belden and Rich Bar. Both of which are rich (no pun intended) in mining history. Hwy 70 is closed from the Hwy 89 Wye (10 miles west of Quincy) west/downstream to nearly Pulga. If they don't clean this up fast I'll have to take the long way around to get to the lake Sat morning......

I'll still be there, just may be a bit more ragged around the edges than normal.... :rolleyes: Note to self, Self, bring x-tra Diet Pepsi....

teds280z
07-30-2008, 05:24 PM
How much extra time will you need? Having been up Hungry Creek it won't take as long to get to the Lucky S. First time I went up I went up a couple of unintential roads. How did the fires start? Have you heard from onederwomyn?

Tsarevna
07-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Ye gods! Don't tell me Belden escaped destruction with the fires in early July, just to be destroyed in early Aug! :(

*crosses fingers*

I remember having a sandwich there with my parents about age 4 or 5. They sat me down in the old saloon part of this restaurant/inn, and I didn't eat my sandwich.

My parents probably rolled their eyes, "Kids! they say they want something, then turn their nose up at it!"

Well, I wasn't being a brat. There was this ancient stuffed deer head on the wall, just above the table, that was so moth-eaten and dusty with spiderwebs in it's antlers that it looked positively gothic. :eek: I was too scared of it to eat!

O man, I hope that historic inn doesn't burn.

GS-RON
07-31-2008, 05:49 AM
How much extra time will you need? Having been up Hungry Creek it won't take as long to get to the Lucky S. First time I went up I went up a couple of unintential roads. How did the fires start? Have you heard from onederwomyn?

9:00 is still good. I'll just leave a bit earlier than planned. No worries... See Ya Sat

teds280z
07-31-2008, 06:14 AM
You got it. I will be leaving tomorrow morning, extra day for fishing, so won't be online after 5 AM. See you all Sat. Bring boots, you never know if a nail or something will pop up and get you.:cool:

LauraA
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Hey! Don't forget to take pictures! We're expecting a full report with photos when you all get back. Have a fun, safe trip! :)

teds280z
07-31-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm charging up both cameras and will bring both. Maybe I know how to work them now????

Tsarevna
07-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, don't forget photographing the eastern approach and writing down the directions. :)

GS-RON
08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
We came, we saw, we left....

Ted and the Girls took a bunch of pics. Maybe they will post them for our enjoyment.

Due to a navigation error we made a complete circuit around the town and ended up coming up the same way Tsarevna did. Which by the way is do-able (if it's a Tacoma Prerunner, the ground clearance and wheel travel will get you through) in a 2wd truck. The Girls suffered a flat tire near the town and we had to limp out to pavement before putting the temp spare on. My air tank held enuf air to fill it up a time or two on the way.

All in all a great day. I'm going back this fall with my 4X4 when there's about 6" to a foot of snow on the ground. Should make for a really neat trip with some really neat pics..... RON

onederwomyn
08-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Ahh! Home sweet home! I made it home Thursday, but have been busy since then.

This was the first part of the vacation and pretty much got us ready for anything else we encountered the rest of the time;)

As Ron stated, it was a bit of a struggle with navigation and the flat tire, but totally worth it. The place in Cali actually fixed the tire for free too!! We met so many friendly people (Ron and Ted especially) out in California/Nevada.

We wouldn't have made it out without Ron and his air tank and my friend and I will be forever in his debt. As soon as life gets caught up a bit, I will post all of the pictures and get my thank yous out to Ron and Ted....

p.s., the trip up that mountain (either way really) is not for the faint of heart. My friend and I were remarking that most women would have been bawling!

Gravelrash
08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Well.....hurry up!

teds280z
12-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Wow this is weird. Cot an e-mail for a reply to this thread. This was a great trip we all had. Got turned around on the eastern access and onderwoman had a flat but still alot of fun. Onderwoman or GS Ron if your out there I'd like to hear from you.