PDA

View Full Version : A Little Research

Joel
08-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I took a half day at work today and went down to the Arizona Historical Society. Talk about your mother lodes! I was able to score copies of several maps of the San Pedro area from the old mining districts to the ghosts that are so obscure that not even the ghost towners talk about them (How does Gray, Hill, Masons, Sommers, Merrimac, Last Chance, Hog-Em and Wild, Arizona grab you?). It's quite possible that there is no trace of them at all. Possibly a wooden bar/brothel that history has sneered at. Or even worse, new cookie cutter sub-divisions are on top of them.
If you have read "A PORTAL TO PARADISE" by Alden Hayes, he explains how a lot of homes and buildings were built in boomtowns and such explains why there isn't much left of them these days. Most were built of green wood and all houses reeked of turpentine. They were on bases rather than foundations. I guess it was the start of the age of speed.
I was able to come across a rough map showing the general area of various Indian ruins from the area. Always a catch though. The last time that I was at the Quiburi ruins, some archeologist had an army of retirees burying the walls of a recently discovered building to protect it from the elements.
Still, I feel armed though with knowledge that I lacked before. I don't need a road or a trail, so I'm hoping that the half day at work just might have a pay off!

fishing8046
08-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Way to go Joel We will be waiting for the pictorial. Any mining information from the historical soceity or does that come from the Arizona Geological Society?

LauraA
08-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Joel, that sure sounds like a good way to spend a hot summer day!
I read somewhere that sometimes houses in mining camps were actually built on wooden runners and could be transported by dragging them by mule from one site to another. I guess wood could be scarce in some areas, so it makes sense to keep it.

Fishing8046, AZDMMR is a great place to get information on old mines. The museum is located in Phoenix, well worth a visit. It's staffed by knowledgeable, friendly people. There are also mine maps available for purchase for every county in Arizona, the forms for ordering them are on their site. State of Arizona Department of Mines and Mineral Resources (http://www.admmr.state.az.us/)

DirtyDog
08-25-2008, 09:03 PM
My dad used to work for the US Bureau of Mines(1940s-50s)and so I have quite a bunch of the old mining district booklets with maps, names, etc. With them you can go right to the old mine portal, adit, or prospect pit.
After the bureau closed I'm not sure who or what entity took over the USBM's library. I think it was USGS but am not sure.

campp
08-26-2008, 04:19 AM
Good idea, sounds like you scored. I've been at the local library (special collections), and have unearthed some interesting tidbits.

I know railroad lumber camps sometimes had houses built on runners, and they just dragged them on to the next locality.

Joel
08-26-2008, 09:16 PM
It's frustrating. You find these old area and they lack even foundations. The scavengers have looted like LA rioters. Have you ever made it to Total Wreck, Campp?

I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day and ran across a metal detecting book. The author reminds folks to look inside walls. He says that a lot of old-timers hid things in walls. I cringed! I can see thousands of goom-bahs taking twenty pound sledges to adobe walls looking for a penny!
Now there's something that ought to scare the ghost-hunters, but I doubt it!

bob3 was bob2
09-12-2008, 09:44 AM
It's frustrating. You find these old area and they lack even foundations. The scavengers have looted like LA rioters. Have you ever made it to Total Wreck, Campp?

I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day and ran across a metal detecting book. The author reminds folks to look inside walls. He says that a lot of old-timers hid things in walls. I cringed! I can see thousands of goom-bahs taking twenty pound sledges to adobe walls looking for a penny!
Now there's something that ought to scare the ghost-hunters, but I doubt it!

I seen that book and remember that passage as well. Its a shame people have to destroy these historic places!

Joel
09-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Yup, our history for a smash and grab taking. And they wonder why most of us won't post directions.

GaryB
09-13-2008, 09:09 AM
I've honestly called in numerous metal detecting people in restricted areas to the right agency while out and about. I don't bother confronting them, but am sure to take pictures of their plates and them themselves if I can. If anything has ever come of any of them I don't know, at least I haven't heard back from the agencies.