PDA

View Full Version : Forum Devoted to Photos

Hobo2
10-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I read a lot on the cool pictures people get visiting all these ghost towns... not only on this site. I think it would be great to have a forum devoted to Ghost Town Photos.

An easy loading uploading tool would be nice too!

Dogman
02-01-2009, 05:58 AM
A dedicated forum for pics would be ok but I think it's nicer to view the pics along with reports and other info on each specific place individually.

I just upload to either Flicker or Photobucket and then copy and paste the url .

Joel
02-01-2009, 07:07 AM
There are user photo albums available.

GaryB
02-01-2009, 08:54 PM
What Dogman said is the easiest way. If we were to try and host thousands of pics, it'd push the site storage allotment through the roof; read more $$$ to run. The personnel albums have set limits to keep things within reason.

A paid option might be doable, but really, it'd be cheaper for one to pay a hosting site of their own. I pay $30 a year at Webshots and I can store some 12,000 pics plus video footage.

Hobo2
02-02-2009, 03:55 AM
There are user photo albums available.

Where can I find them?

Joel
02-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Just go to a user's profile that has them. You should see Albums on the right Between the Friends and Social Group boxes.

Dogman
02-02-2009, 05:29 AM
What Dogman said is the easiest way. If we were to try and host thousands of pics, it'd push the site storage allotment through the roof; read more $$$ to run. The personnel albums have set limits to keep things within reason.

A paid option might be doable, but really, it'd be cheaper for one to pay a hosting site of their own. I pay $30 a year at Webshots and I can store some 12,000 pics plus video footage.

flicker and Photobucket are both free and I believe Photobucket is unlimited storage. Flicker I think has a 50 picture limit per week or something. more than enough.

GaryB
02-02-2009, 01:32 PM
flicker and Photobucket are both free and I believe Photobucket is unlimited storage. Flicker I think has a 50 picture limit per week or something. more than enough.

The basic Webshots is free as well, but like the others you mentioned, has limits.

It's not uncommon for me to load over a few hundred pics after one of my trips, it'd take weeks to do them a handful at a time. So I opted for the pay use which covers against copyright and includes secure storage so the pics will always be there.

Every person has different needs.

danny_stoddard
02-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree with Dogman about posting the photos with the posts. it makes the posts interestings. also, there are the user photo albums and that's a fun new feature.

happy hunting.

Hobo2
02-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Just go to a user's profile that has them. You should see Albums on the right Between the Friends and Social Group boxes.

I just saw yours, great shots by the way!

Now lets see, if I wanted to see some cool petroglyphs photos, how would I find some without knowing you had some? This is what I'm trying to establish, some way of finding your photos.

Maybe a box to check while loading your photos including some taggs, which would send your photos to a research photo bank of sorts, at the same time you're loading them. This way I could cross reference your shots by typing "petroglyphs", "state", "town", etc. Plus, it would not take away from reading your adventures if I choose too.

I'll admit I'm not the most computer savvy person, but I have seen cross filing like this done before. Moreover, I think it would be great if someone was telling a story about a ghost town visit, then be able to include all their shots along with or instead of just one or two, you see what I mean.

Hobo2
02-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Speaking of photos, does anyone know where these were taken?

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc51/Hobo2URL/Ghosttown.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc51/Hobo2URL/ghosttown2.jpg

dwinslow
02-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Good old Bodie. Can't go wrong on this place. It's a great place to visit, especially for first time ghost towners. It kinda "gets your feet wet" in the hobby. Good pictures, too.

Joel
02-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Tags, eh? I'll have to play around with that.