PDA

View Full Version : Dating photos

oro-y-plata
10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
As a suggestion, it would be nice if all photos that are submitted, either in the forum or on the main website be dated.
I was just on the website and being very familiar with Montana ghost towns, (and quite a few in Arizona) which I visit frequently, a lot are no more or in their death throe. It is a fact of life, cabins fall down, vandals take their prey, good ole government does a clean up and owners knock down old mills because they can't pay the taxes or the liability insurance premium. For newbie ghosttowners it must be a disappointment to see the wonderful photos submitted by our members, to go out only to find a bare piece of ground. Maybe the moderator has an idea.

danny_stoddard
10-21-2008, 05:41 AM
but the same should go for photos in the books that are published! even with a copyright of 2005, a most recent book I bought had pictures at best from the 80's.... I agree, it is disappointing. and there is the opposite: the town has been rebuilt! you go expecting everything in shambles and its all new! maybe everyone is hanging on to the romantic images of it is slow disrepair... as for the pics on the townsites, I think its understood that there is a good mix of historical photos, older photos (you start to recognize photographers' names if you hang out long enough) and then the newer photos. as for the forum, I would assume people are posting pics from the recent visits, or otherwise note its from a previous visit. it would be silly to post an old picture and act like you were just there over the weekend! and as far as I can tell, that's not the spirit of this board. as for dating my photos? not going to do it! barely have time to get them uploaded on here! in fact, I have photos from Chitwood, Cornucopia, and Sumpter (for example) that I need to submit as they are good and current, but I just haven't had the time. when I do, you'll be able to tell that they are recent and perhaps recognize my name as a current photographer of the sites. good luck!

campp
10-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Not that it matters, but I take thousands of photos of many things. ALL of my photos are dated for my own info with month and year: "Oct 2008". It is always the last part of the file name. Just a suggestion to you budding photographers out there.

Tsarevna
10-21-2008, 04:55 PM
but the same should go for photos in the books that are published! even with a copyright of 2005, a most recent book I bought had pictures at best from the 80's.... I agree, it is disappointing. and there is the opposite: the town has been rebuilt! you go expecting everything in shambles and its all new! maybe everyone is hanging on to the romantic images of it is slow disrepair... as for the pics on the townsites, I think its understood that there is a good mix of historical photos, older photos (you start to recognize photographers' names if you hang out long enough) and then the newer photos. as for the forum, I would assume people are posting pics from the recent visits, or otherwise note its from a previous visit. it would be silly to post an old picture and act like you were just there over the weekend! and as far as I can tell, that's not the spirit of this board. as for dating my photos? not going to do it! barely have time to get them uploaded on here! in fact, I have photos from Chitwood, Cornucopia, and Sumpter (for example) that I need to submit as they are good and current, but I just haven't had the time. when I do, you'll be able to tell that they are recent and perhaps recognize my name as a current photographer of the sites. good luck!

Come'on Danny, post your pictures! :) I've been waitin' to see em! I wonder what the current status of Chitwood is? I submitted the comic-book style series of photos that showed the gradual decline of the general store.

I agree, if you know the year, submit it. If you don't know the year, try and guess the decade, and use a (?) after it if you aren't particularly sure. If you have no clue, write "undated" photo.

Right now, it's obvious if people are wearing bell-bottoms that it's a 1970's photo.

However, 100 years from now, when your photos are sitting in archives somewhere, it won't be readily apparant to the average person what year something is, just because of clothing and hairstyles.

Think about it: There's tons of old black and white photos of men wearing top hats, or with mutton chops on their faces, or with waxed and curled mustaches...how many people know when beaver-felt hats were popular? 1840? 1875? When were straw hats popular, pre or after WWI? In which decade were puffy ridges at the shoulder seam popular for women's dresses? We're not sure now, because we didn't live in that era. Date the photos! :D

danny_stoddard
10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
allright, I might be a reformed *amateur* photographer and start including dates. :) lol. stay tuned! perhaps I'll get motivated and date the heck out of everything! :D

10/21/08 (when I wrote this)

Joel
10-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Mine are current with the date posted.

All I can tell the new ghost-towners is to get the lead out. They are coming down quickly due to the elements, vandals, collectors and progress. If someone is looking looking for an El Dorado of a ghost town, it's not going to be found. We're in the wrong era for this part of the country. The '40's-'60's were the glory days here.

Don't get me wrong, quite a few of them are still around, but nothing like the pictures of old. It's painfull to see the beauty of the past versus the thin shadows of the present, but the discovery itself is worth it.

There's only going to be less tomorrow, so get moving!