PDA

View Full Version : Forum Outings?

vacant minds
10-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Do the people here go out hunting together? Maybe a weekend of Ghost Towning and Camping?

I figure a group (4-8) of people would be better than just 2... 8-16 eyes are better than 4.

David A. Wright
10-30-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't know if there still are gatherings, but this forum hosted annual "ghost town rallys" in the past; especially in the early days of this website (late 1990s).

Go to:

http://www.ghosttowns.com/rallys.html

... where there is an index to several of the annual rallys.

GaryB
10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Funny this is mentioned, I was thinking about hitting up our Arizona brood and seeing if anyone wanted to have a get together early next year.

campp
10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm up for it.

vacant minds
10-31-2008, 07:02 AM
Funny this is mentioned, I was thinking about hitting up our Arizona brood and seeing if anyone wanted to have a get together early next year.

How about people from California willing to travel to Arizona?

Joel
10-31-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm game if it's in Southern Arizona!

LauraA
11-02-2008, 04:55 AM
I'll bring the potato salad! :D

GaryB
11-02-2008, 02:41 PM
How about people from California willing to travel to Arizona?

Hey, it's not my state; I don't care :p

GaryB
11-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm game if it's in Southern Arizona!

I think most everyone on here is from around the Phoenix area anyway. As long as it's in the spring or fall, I'd be up for it. I try not to go anywhere on vacation that it might be as hot or hotter than this place.

David A. Wright
11-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I think most everyone on here is from around the Phoenix area anyway. As long as it's in the spring or fall, I'd be up for it. I try not to go anywhere on vacation that it might be as hot or hotter than this place.
Hey, don't count me in as part of the Arizona crowd ... I've got a far more northerly (l)attitude than you anyway ... :D And with the snow over the past days, it's a whole lot colder here. :eek:

GaryB
11-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey, don't count me in as part of the Arizona crowd ... I've got a far more northerly (l)attitude than you anyway ... :D And with the snow over the past days, it's a whole lot colder here. :eek:

No worries, I was implying the Aridzona posters anyway.

teds280z
11-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe next year us Nevada GTer's and whoever else wants to get together in say around Berlin and Ione area for something.;)

GaryB
11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Maybe next year us Nevada GTer's and whoever else wants to get together in say around Berlin and Ione area for something.;)

I was there last week, where were you?

teds280z
11-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I was going this weekend but didn't make it . Heck let me know when your going to be out and about.

Joel
11-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Phoenix? With the exception of Campp, they seem to spend their time in the A/C. C'mon, you've got to go outside to find a ghost town!

David A. Wright
11-09-2008, 12:20 AM
http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/trips/t2006a.htm

Ione, Grantsville, Reese River Valley, Monitor Valley, Pine Creek, Belmont.

LauraA
11-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Phoenix? With the exception of Campp, they seem to spend their time in the A/C. C'mon, you've got to go outside to find a ghost town!

Yipee! The A/C is off, now we're busy scrounging firewood.:D
Ghost towns up here are few and far between so we're spending our time on the trails locating old mining camps and abandoned ranches. It's quite a challenge for us since we go out alone most of the time and since we're getting rather "long-in the-tooth" :o I get a bit nervous about being so far away from civilization should an emergency arise while we're out there.
There's supposed to be a ghost town, or the remnants of one that we've been trying to locate for a couple of years. Cottonville, or Cottenville, we're not sure of the spelling. The older locals swear it's out there, somewhere near the Sunflower mining district, but thus far, we're been unable to locate it or find any written information about it. There aren't any roads left on the mountain so it takes a bit of hiking just to reach the area. Sooo, while I'm not posting many pictures, we're out there actively searching.
I sure wish you guys lived a bit closer.

GaryB
11-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I was going this weekend but didn't make it . Heck let me know when your going to be out and about.

We were checking off a few more state markers, not really exploring much. If it wasn't for the markers being in Belmont and Ione, I wouldn't have gotten to explore the little I did. Now that the temperature is livable down here, I have to get out and do some local exploring around Mesquite. We won't be back up north till probably early summer or spring when we try to hit the remaining markers.

Unless someone put something together as a trip.

GaryB
11-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Yipee! The A/C is off, now we're busy scrounging firewood.

If you lived close enough to here, I could have set you up for a few winters. NDOT took out about a dozen pine trees around the I-15 expansion and we had about 30 cords+ of free firewood.

teds280z
11-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Things are starting to be a little cool up here, also some of that wet weather. I myself don't like to tear up the roads just to say "Look at me I found a mud puddle" and then next spring summer a good GT'er plays h*** trying to dodge the ruts.:cool:

Joel
11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Laura, didn't mean to offend, I just forgot you! Considering that the Phoenix area is more than twice Tucson's size and population with a wealth of ghost towns in easy driving distance, I'd figure that I'd be hearing more from the Maricopa County crowd. :)

LauraA
11-14-2008, 04:20 AM
If you lived close enough to here, I could have set you up for a few winters. NDOT took out about a dozen pine trees around the I-15 expansion and we had about 30 cords+ of free firewood.
Wow, firewood is a precious commodity here. The Forest Service requires permits and even when you purchase one, they are limiting locations and the kinds of trees we can cut. Thus far, we've been lucky, a local rancher was kind enough to offer us a fairly large Juniper tree he wanted to have removed. (oh,my aching back):o

Laura, didn't mean to offend, I just forgot you! Considering that the Phoenix area is more than twice Tucson's size and population with a wealth of ghost towns in easy driving distance, I'd figure that I'd be hearing more from the Maricopa County crowd. :)

No offense taken Joel!
hmmm Maricopa County, is that still part of Arizona, or has it seceded? :D

campp
11-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I want to know when we're going! I'm jonesing for some of Laura's potato salad!

GaryB
11-15-2008, 10:25 AM
I'd say ya'lls need to get together and set up a date, since you guys know the climate better. Plus someone would have to do some scouting for sites, central location, etc.

I'm open for anytime except for the usual holidays.

brian10x
11-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I'd say ya'lls need to get together and set up a date, since you guys know the climate better. Plus someone would have to do some scouting for sites, central location, etc.

I'm open for anytime except for the usual holidays.

If we have an outing in Arizona, count me in. I'll bring the bulls h i t .

teds280z
11-16-2008, 01:09 PM
When and where. Its been forever since I've had some;)

vacant minds
11-24-2008, 05:14 PM
When and where. Its been forever since I've had some;)

What?!?!?! I dont think out GT'ing is the best place to "get some". You might have better luck outside a bingo hall.

Not saying your old or into old women, I'm just saying. Women + Bingo = Good Time's

teds280z
11-25-2008, 09:10 AM
POTATO SALAD, POTATO SALAD, POTATO SALAD!!! Good ole Potato Salad:rolleyes:

vacant minds
11-25-2008, 10:47 AM
That makes sense.

campp
11-25-2008, 02:22 PM
We need to actually start thinking about a real trip, IF we are to get potato salad. The weather's nice!

Who's up for it? I do not have 4-wheel, but I do have 2-wheel.

vacant minds
11-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Of all the people that are active on this board, am I the only one from California? It seems that most all are from NV or AZ.

David A. Wright
11-25-2008, 09:17 PM
I lived in California until this past July, does that count? :D But I lived in the best side of California - the eastern Sierra Nevada - between 1974 and 2008.

vacant minds
11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I would like to live towards the eastern side. I just need to figure out how to work remotely.

teds280z
11-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Except for my military time I lived in CA from 1969-1987. Haven't been back to San Jose since.:rolleyes:

GaryB
11-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I went to Disneyland once.

David A. Wright
11-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I went to Disneyland once.
I haven't been to Vegas since 1999, but even then it made Disneyland look pretty mundane ... ;)

Oh, by the way, I've been to Disneyland twice - 1959 and 1988.

Joel
11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
2WD myself, but if you don't go too deep into the desert, I can pop in!

bad bob
11-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Of all the people that are active on this board, am I the only one from California? It seems that most all are from NV or AZ.

Far as I know VM, B'field has not seceeded from CA as yet.

GaryB
11-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Yeah, but you know how the rest of California feels about Bakersfield though....

GaryB
11-29-2008, 01:15 AM
BTW, I have 3 4X's. And depending on how rough it was; I have room for two more passengers.

bad bob
11-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Yeah, but you know how the rest of California feels about Bakersfield though....

Yes but there's nothing I can do about that, and wouldn't care enough to do anything even if I could. :)

David A. Wright
11-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey now! If it weren't for Bakersfield, we wouldn't have had Buck Owens or Merle Haggard and the Bakersfield country western sound that influenced such stars as Dwight Yoakham, Marty Stewart, the Mavericks and others. :)

Besides, there's other armpits in California that's far worse than Bakersfield ... But I don't have enough fingers and toes to count them all ... :D

vacant minds
12-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Hey now! If it weren't for Bakersfield, we wouldn't have had Buck Owens or Merle Haggard and the Bakersfield country western sound that influenced such stars as Dwight Yoakham, Marty Stewart, the Mavericks and others. :)

Besides, there's other armpits in California that's far worse than Bakersfield ... But I don't have enough fingers and toes to count them all ... :D

The lump them all into one.. Its called the Inland Empire.

Tyroler
09-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Well,i'm around Januar 20th 2010 in Newberry Springs,CA
Anyone joining in is wellcome:eek:

Norman Johnson
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Wha? I've been to Newberry Springs. The Bagdad Cafe. Wha? the Koi ponds? Wha? The geode site? Wha?

NJ

dwinslow
09-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Wha? I've been to Newberry Springs. The Bagdad Cafe. Wha? the Koi ponds? Wha? The geode site? Wha?

NJ

Ah yes, the Baggydad Cafe. And...it's nowhere even close to Bagdad. I'll be in Ludlow in January.

Tyroler
11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I'll bring the potato salad! :D
Do American eat potato salat?
john Wayne had alwayes Beans with Bacon

LauraA
11-10-2009, 06:52 AM

That's only because John Wayne never tried my potato salad. :D

Darin
11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Do American eat potato salat?

Except when out on the road. He always favored those "corn dodgers"...from what that lawyer, J. Noble Dagget told me, anyway. :D

ghost_town_huntress
11-14-2009, 09:40 PM
How 'bout I bring my famous macaroni salad and bison meatloaf?

GaryB
11-14-2009, 11:51 PM
I'll cook an elk roast in the crock pot :D

Norman Johnson
11-15-2009, 06:50 PM
I get my best dinners from a can.

NJ

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/NEricJ/Panamint%20Valley/IMG_3428.jpg?t=1258339756

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/NEricJ/Panamint%20Valley/IMG_3424.jpg?t=1258339793

Tyroler
11-15-2009, 09:53 PM
How 'bout I bring my famous macaroni salad and bison meatloaf?
Did you offer him some of it?

ghost_town_huntress
11-16-2009, 10:27 PM
The offer's up for anybody and everybody, but hey, if he prefers his Miner's Stew, to each his own!

Did you offer him some of it?

teds280z
11-19-2009, 10:53 AM
It would be great to plan outings. If anyone would like to get togethere in NV somewhere lets see if we can plan something for next spring/summer.:cool:

teds280z
11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Also any of the homemade goodies will be surely welcome by me. I might have a couple of dishes under my belt to:eek:

Gravelrash
11-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Would this be an timely place to stick my head back in???
The oft-touted, much-lamented "2008 Road Trip" is about to become the 2010 model!! Late spring and a few weeks of summer is the latest plan, so if there is an chance of meeting 5-6-8 of you, all in one place, I would even be prepared to eat some of Ballarats Best. It doesn't look like anything a dash of vegemite won't fix?
Would you believe, this trip is at the express orders of my wife and daughter!! I lucked out!

Norman Johnson
11-20-2009, 07:49 AM
I'd be in on this trip. Believe me, anybody even opens that can of Ballarats Best and we'd have to evacuate that end of the state.

NJ

GaryB
11-20-2009, 04:57 PM
If given enough time to plan, I'd be up for it. I'm a state worker, I hear we never work so anytime is good for me I guess :rolleyes: but since my wife is a teacher, summers are best. Northern Nevada/California/Southern Idaho has plenty fine weather during the summer, and the snow is usually off the higher elevations by then.

Nothing against you Aridzoners, just I try not to go places hotter than this hole during the summer months ;) Plan an early spring trip though and I'd be up for it.

teds280z
11-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I turned in my Kia Sportage:( when things got tight, still are for everyone. Anyway check out the new rig in my avatar. Its paid for and a 1987 fuel injected-turbo 4Runner.:cool: From what I have heard Toyota didn't make many for the west coast. After paying on the Kia for 3 years I still owed all except 1000 from the original loan(saw me coming) Let me know when and if I can help in anyway I'm there. Could get used to this not working. Ha Ha:rolleyes:

bre333
02-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Dude, sorry to hear that! I have a KIA Spectra, I take it off roading all the time, and seriously-I'm impressed! I took it down Saline Valley Rd, Death Valley-KIA's are great! Tires suck, though.
I think this outing thing is a badass idea-let's do it!

teds280z
02-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi bre, Yea the Kia was a great little beast off road. Only time it let me down was on the freeway when the switch kept trying to put the hubs in lock position. Whats funny is ever hear Creedence Clearwater Revival "Stuck in Lodi Again" thats where I was on the way to my son's wedding. Anouting is cool we had one and wernt to the Lucky S in Plumas County, Ca. Always open to suggestions and trips, if I can afford it.

smith
05-26-2010, 10:44 AM
I am not interested to come Arizona lol just for holiday