PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Bodie thread

CoolHandMike
11-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Hi all,

I've been lurking for many months and I thought I should finally register and introduce myself. Earlier this year I took my first GT outing and went to Bodie. Since then I have become fascinated with GT'ing and I have enjoyed many of your threads here.

I am originally from the Northeast but have lived in Cali for about 5 years. I have also recently been laid off so in this time between jobs I can't help but think about all of these cool places to explore. And since gas prices have come down somewhat, there's no time like the present.

Anyhow, I know it's been done many times in the past, but I had a blast driving out to Bodie earlier this year. I am really looking forward to going back and exploring the stamp mill next time as I only had a few hours to spend there.

Hope you enjoy the pics. Cheers~

http://picasaweb.google.com/cohenmj/TripToTheGhostTownOfBodieCA#

Ghostdancer
11-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Welcome here CHM, :)

I was just wondering, I went to Bodie in August 1993 and the admission at that time was five dollars, what is the price now?

CoolHandMike
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I think it was $2 for a parking pass when I went.

Ghostdancer
11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I think it was $2 for a parking pass when I went.

Really? And no entrance admission?

vacant minds
11-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Lots of people? Does'nt sound like much fun if its a major tourist trap. Kind of like Calico

I dont like people telling me what buildings I can or can not go into. If I wanted that I would just go down the street to Knotts Berry Farm.

bad bob
11-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Lots of people? Does'nt sound like much fun if its a major tourist trap. Kind of like Calico

I dont like people telling me what buildings I can or can not go into. If I wanted that I would just go down the street to Knotts Berry Farm.

I've been there 3 times and have no problem going there a few more. The town is spread out over a large area, so "many people" can get "swallowed up" fairly easily. Only Park Rangers reside there full-time to guard against vandals and answer questions.

None of them EVER said anything about inaccessible bldgs. Some bldgs are only that way due to their fragile condition. And of course most of the mine structures and shafts are closed (or were), for safety reasons.

As you may already know, many bldgs in Calico were trucked in by Knott, from various places in CA. Bodie's bldgs are original, with interiors still furnished as they were left by the residents. Tables with dishes, etc. One of the "must see" GTs in CA (IMO).

David A. Wright
11-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I've been to Bodie more than 50 times in the past three decades. Never tire of seeing Bodie.

Being there that many times I've gotten to see Bodie in all seasons and all levels of visible human activity. Yes, I prefer Bodie during quieter times when there's few people around. But as said, it's a big place and you're not packed in with a bunch of others if you don't wish to be.

My favorite time to be in Bodie is during the mid-fall, after the first snows. Few people dare to enter Bodie if there's snow in the area. It's a real treat. The place is practically deserted and you really get the ghost town ambiance. I've also snowmobiled into Bodie during the years I lived nearby (1974-1985 / 1994-July, 2008).

In the 1970s, more of Bodie's buildings were open, such as the church. But concern for the effects of heavy tourist loads and public safety has required its closure to entry. Bodie's buildings are not replicas, so therefore if they topple, that's the end of it. Bodie's buildings are kept in a state of "arrested decay," meaning that effort is put into keeping the building around as long as possible; no attempt to retore buildings are made.

I was fortunate to live near Bodie for many years, thus I was able to savor Bodie in its many moods.