PDA

View Full Version : Bohemia Mining Dist. trip

Rupe
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Mrs. Rupe and I and maybe a few others are heading up the Noonday trail on 12/6/08 for the day if anyone wants to join us. You will need a short wheelbase 4x4 to make it up the trail. Nothing bigger then a Land Rover Discovery or Jeep Grand Cherokee type rig. This is more of a sight seeing and wheeling trip, but we will be going into Bohemia City and hopefully see some of the other mines along Champion Creek Road on the way down. We will be meeting at the Cottage Grove, Oregon Walmart at 8:30am and leaving at 9am to head up to the trail. Sorry it's such short notice, but it's just sort of a spur of the moment run. rupe

Albin
12-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I've reported this thread to site admin for COC Rule #17 violation, to wit: "Needlessly teasing those Ghost-towners who a) have to work, b) have other commitments or c) live across the country with ghost town visiting/hunting/4x4 trip announcements."

I hope you get the punishment you so richly deserve. :D

Oh, and have a great time!

Rupe
12-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I've reported this thread to site admin for COC Rule #17 violation, to wit: "Needlessly teasing those Ghost-towners who a) have to work, b) have other commitments or c) live across the country with ghost town visiting/hunting/4x4 trip announcements."

I hope you get the punishment you so richly deserve. :D

Oh, and have a great time!

:p :D You can always move out this way. rupe

Albin
12-05-2008, 05:49 AM
You can always move out this way. rupe

My definition of heaven, this is about 20 miles south of the OR/NV border:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_11/07-22-08-12-44-08_IMG_1134_Al.JPG_s.jpg

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_11/07-22-08-12-46-42_IMG_1139_Al.JPG_s.jpg

God, I miss the desert..... :(

danbo
12-05-2008, 06:35 AM
My definition of heaven, this is about 20 miles south of the OR/NV border:
God, I miss the desert..... :(

Me too!

song lyric;
"In the desert I can see for a hundred miles, add a trillion if I'm there at night"

Rupe
12-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I agree, I love the high desert. We have been over to Christmas Valley wondering around 6 times in the last 2 months. We love it over there and are looking for property to retire on in about 2 1/2 years. Yahoooooo!

rupe

speedy
12-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Beautiful......Speedy

Rupe
12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
What a great day! The sun was out the trail was in good shape, meaning it kepted your eyes on the trail and a tight grip on the steering wheel http://forum.pnwadventures.com/images/smilies/eek.gif. One other rig showed up from Expedition Portal who had never been on the trail before. He took a lot of pics. and I will try to post them after he send them to us.
We stopped at a few of the mines and drove into Bohemia city. The only thing that is left standing is the little cabin/store, not sure what it was. The had rebuild it new about 20 years ago, but it now looks like it has been there for 100 yrs.(Almost anyway). The road upto the Fairview Lookout was gated so we didn't get to it. On our way down we took Champion Creek Road. When we got down to the Champion Mine, they had cleared the area of brush and spread straw all over. They cleared all the brush from around the old stamping mill foundation. It looks like they are going to start mining it again. We saw some great views and had some exciting times in a few of the switchbacks. It was the first time I saw a 4 runner with 3 of the 4 tires a foot off the ground at different times but all within 2 seconds. LOL A couple of the switchbacks were a little slippery and if you didn't hit them just right you had to work at it a little. Hopefully the pictures turned out good.
We got a couple of brush strips but not to bad. The Oregon Trail Four Wheeldrive Asso. did a good job clearing the main section of the trail in Sept. The upper sections weren't to bad for not being cleared other then the downed trees were cut and cleared.
It was a great time and a great run. Rupe

GeologyMonkey
12-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Wish I had seen this before, I would have come along! Next year.....

Rupe
12-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Wish I had seen this before, I would have come along! Next year.....

Anytime your in the area or if you want to set up a day to go, I would be more then happy to run it again. Now that the snow has moved in we couldn't get up there but as soon as the snow is gone I'm all for running it again. The problem is that a chainsaw is needed the first few trips up do to trees falling across the trail. I don't own one anymore. New I should have sold it, rats! LOL rupe

GeologyMonkey
12-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Anytime your in the area or if you want to set up a day to go, I would be more then happy to run it again. Now that the snow has moved in we couldn't get up there but as soon as the snow is gone I'm all for running it again. The problem is that a chainsaw is needed the first few trips up do to trees falling across the trail. I don't own one anymore. New I should have sold it, rats! LOL rupe

I might be willing to pick up a chainsaw if you are going to guide!

I see you are a member at Expedition Portal. Do you get Overland Journal?

Rupe
12-30-2008, 09:47 PM
No I don't get Overland Journal. I probably should, I hear its really pretty good.
I would be glad to guide you and anyone else that would like to tag along. It's a great trail and there is alot to see. The trail its self is less then 10 miles long but it is slow going. Plus once you get to the top there are things to see and also on the way down there is things to see. So let me know when you have the time when the snow gets off the mountains and we'll go as long as you bring your chainsaw and a shovel. I really enjoy showing people around and giving the 25 cent tour over the CB as we creep along.

rupe

Rattler
12-31-2008, 02:07 PM
I will have to look it up over at ExPo. I was just looking at some pics from the Goat Canyon Trestle trip some made. I think if I ever take a trip out West I will be out there forever.

Don't subscribe to OJ rupe. You will not like it. j/k. It is a fabulous mag! I cannot say enough about it. It isn't cheap but it is well worth it. I bought a backissue first and fell in love with it. I got to take a trip to Libya last night while I was at work via the mag.

Rupe
12-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Rattler, It looks like I must be missing something. Hum? I'll have to wait and get over Christmas (fill up the piggy bank again) over with and then check into getting it.
I don't know where you live now, but there is a good chance you wouldn't leave. Most people tend to come out then go back then start planning on moving out here to stay. The pacific NW does have a lot to offer, except jobs.
rupe