PDA

View Full Version : Places I should visit in AZ, NM, TX?

oldcars
12-25-2008, 09:25 PM
OK, I don't know if this is the right section to post this in,

I am thinking about taking off from Oregon on a trip in a month or so to visit a friend in Oklahoma. I will be stoping in Pahrump NV. along the way. are there any easy places I need to see along the way in Arizona, NewMexico, or the Texas Panhandle? Heres the catch:
I am driving a 3/4ton 4x4 pickup but I have a semi-fragile load so real rough roads are out, and I would like to stay within 100 miles of Interstate40 so I can motel it because I don't have room in my truck for camping gear. I am looking for easy sites on this trip, just something to cut up the long drive. Abandon Route 66 ? Ghost towns? Old Mines? remember, nothing too bumpy or snowy.
Thanks!

old judge
12-27-2008, 03:56 PM
OC: When I first joined this forum several years ago, I was planning a trip from Oklahoma to Utah and back. I made that first trip without asking anybody anything. I used the maps available, the search option, my own maps, etc. Only after the trip did I begin to post. Now, I'd done a bit of GTing before, but I could have, and did, plan that trip without that experience. I wish I were in Nevada today, just with this site. I can assure you, I would see new and different places, and never leave the Interstate system more than 100 miles. My ideas today, of GTing, is to be sure that my motel has a pool, a hot tub, and is near a good place for breakfast, or dinner, as the case may be. That 100 mile limit is about like mine. And even then, when I leave a main road, I let someone know. I wish I were younger and could still boogie about the outback, but, I'm not. Have fun. Enjoy Oklahoma. At least you're on your way to God's country. Mac

LauraA
12-28-2008, 05:37 AM
oldcars, Keeping your vehicle restrictions in mind as well as the distance from I-40, I'd suggest Jerome, AZ. It's a neat town that still retains a bit of the flavor of an old mining town. There's lots to see, great places to stay as well as great food. It's one of my favorite places to go to explore old mining camps without having to go far off the main roads. You might want to check on the weather prior to going, there's been quite a bit of snow lately, but hopefully it'll be okay by the time you leave Oregon.
Here's one site with info, there's a lot more if you Google it. Good luck! :)

http://www.jeromechamber.com/ (http://www.jeromechamber.com/)

ShadowCatcher
12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm guessing that you are coming in to Kingman and I-40 from HWY 93? If so, there is the small town of Chloride, not too far off of HWY 93. After you arrive in Kingman, look for the exit that leads to HWY 66. I think it's also the road to Peach Springs. Once on the road, just enjoy the ride along 66. The first stop is Hackberry. Great little store there. Then onto Valentine, Crozier Canyon, and Peach Springs. After leaving Peach Springs and about an hour or so of driving, you will arrive in Seligman...and back to I40. On into Flagstaff, etc. Of course there's Winslow and if you're into a 5 star meal then stop at La Posada. It's a Harvey House that someone has painstakingly restored and the food is the best!

Just past Winslow at the exit that goes north to the Navajo/Hopi reservations, about a mile north of I40 is Homolovi State Park. About a mile away from the visitor center parking lot is the cemetary from the settlement of Sunset. (There's nothing left of Sunset, but the cemetery is pretty cool. Sunset was the site of a Mormon settlement where they were able to easily cross the Little Colorado River).

Back on I40 eastbound, exit 320...That's the Pinta exit. If you go north of the freeway on a dirt road, about a mile, you will see the roadbed of HWY 66. Turn left and follow it for about 3 miles. I won't tell you about the little surprise that will be waiting there for you! If you go south of I40 at the same exit, you will be on a dirt road. Follow it around for about 2 miles until you find a dirt road that goes south to the flag station of Pinta. This was featured in the book of Arizona Roads first published around 1912ish...

Hope that helps.

old judge
12-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Pilgrim....I just spent 20 minutes preparing a reply, then was told I wasn't logged in. What a bummer.

I'm going to give a more concise thought.

I seldom, if ever, disagree with Miss Laura. She puts out excellent info, knowledgeable, appreciated.

I disagree with her suggestin' you go to Jerome. In the first place, it's about as much a GT as Virginia City. Second, it's a bad time of year to go.

Head on South to Hwy 60 or 70 and GT from there, using this site, and associated sites for guidance.

Here's wishing you the best, and hopin' I don't get shot for disagreeing with a great Ghosttowner. OJ

P.S. Just read Shadowcatchers post. If 66 is your thing, he has you started good with places like Peach Springs, Hackberry, Seligman, etc. 'Course Seligman, an old Rt. 66 motel town, is a little touristy too. But, lots of great sites within rock throwing distance of 66, all the way to Texas. Again, keep an eye on the weather.

LauraA
12-30-2008, 03:36 AM
I seldom, if ever, disagree with Miss Laura.

I disagree with her suggestin' you go to Jerome. In the first place, it's about as much a GT as Virginia City. Second, it's a bad time of year to go.

Here's wishing you the best, and hopin' I don't get shot for disagreeing with a great Ghosttowner

OJ, I knew when I posted Jerome as a suggestion, you'd reply.
I've suggested it to someone else here on the forum and you disagreed then as well, that's okay, it seems like the only things we disagree on are Jerome and who was driving the Hilman on Gravity Hill that night, I say you, you say Johnnie, Sheila is too much of a lady to say anything at all.
Maybe someday you'll come to Arizona and let me show you around Jerome as it should be seen. I wouldn't call Jerome a ghost town, far from it, but there's no denying it retains much of its old west flavor. There are still some neat mining camps to be seen, all within a few miles of town. I like Jerome, people I've recommended it to before haven't been disappointed.

Now, would you care for a cigarette before or after the blindfold? :D

campp
12-30-2008, 04:25 AM
If you're on I-40, just east of Flagstaff is Two Guns, easy 2-wheel access and only about a mile or two in from the freeway. Maybe not a real "town" but most GTers enjoy what's there.

Have fun!

old judge
12-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Miss Laura...Sorry to be so disagreeable.

I think my problem is this..First visited Jerome in the early 50s. To a seven or eight year old, as I recall almost 60 years later, it was a Ghosttown. The High School had recently closed as people moved out. As I recall, it had boomed several times, most recently with Copper. Water was a perpetual problem.

I remember only one or two businesses being open. We were able to gas up and get some munchies. Lots of boarded up homes and buildings. I recall we took that route on purpose, that is, to visit a Ghosttown.

I was next through Jerome in l971 in the dead of winter, and was just happy to survive until we got to Flagstaff. Interestingly the southern routes were snow closed, and 66 was open, so we headed from Phoenix to Flagstaff, and on home.

Thus, having been to Jerome in it's heyday of Ghosthood, my last trip there a few years ago was disappointing, though I suppose a lot of property owners have gotten well on the boom. I do agree there are many interesting sites nearby.

My experience with Virginia City is much the same. Was there first when it was in it's early recovery period. The last time there, in 2003, it was a Zoo.

At any rate, that's kinda where I'm coming from, and intend no disrespect.

Love, OJ

P.S. There's a thread on here called "Best/main Ghost Towns of AZ, etc. etc." from a year or two back which contains good input from several regulars. Try the Search feature. I found it Searching "Jerome Judge" to check the accuracy of the allegation of my previous disgruntled remark about Jerome. Entirely true. "Virginia City of Arizona" indeed!!

LauraA
12-31-2008, 03:08 PM
OJ, I certainly knew no disrespect was intended and as far as you being disagreeable, no way. (as long as I'm not asking directions to Turnbull Canyon or pushing a car the wrong way up Gravity Hill) :D
You say tomato, I say tomaato, it's just a matter of personal preference.
A few years ago we camped just outside of Jerome for a little over two weeks. It was the best ghost towning experience we've ever had. There was mine afer mine, many with buildings still standing and equipment left in place.
In Jerome proper, many of the old buildings have been lovingly restored and the present owners are more than happy to share their knowledge of Jerome's rich history.
Someday we hope to return to Jerome and see what we missed the last time. Hopefully some of it is still there.
Until I know otherwise, I still recommend Jerome to anyone interested in Arizona's old west history.

bad bob
12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Pilgrim....I just spent 20 minutes preparing a reply, then was told I wasn't logged in. What a bummer.

I'm going to give a more concise thought.

I seldom, if ever, disagree with Miss Laura. She puts out excellent info, knowledgeable, appreciated.

Head on South to Hwy 60 or 70 and GT from there, using this site, and associated sites for guidance.

Here's wishing you the best, and hopin' I don't get shot for disagreeing with a great Ghosttowner. OJ

P.S. Just read Shadowcatchers post. If 66 is your thing, he has you started good with places like Peach Springs, Hackberry, Seligman, etc. 'Course Seligman, an old Rt. 66 motel town, is a little touristy too. But, lots of great sites within rock throwing distance of 66, all the way to Texas. Again, keep an eye on the weather.

Oh good Lord. I try not to disagree with judges (or attorneys) especially if me hiney is on the chopper. :D

However, risky as it may seem, here's my 2 pennies: Ghost towns come in many different flavors, and though I've only seen pics of Jerome, would not hesitate a visit there whenever possible. I've been to both Virginia City, NV and VC, Montana, and found both of them extremely interesting.

That, in no way, is meant to cast aspersions on your opinion of what constitutes a ghost town. I know your opinion is also highly regarded in here, and there are several members who do not care for so-called tourist traps.

OTOH, I believe most care about the history, photogenic scenery, remoteness, difficulty of access, current condition, and so on, connected to ALL GT sites, regardless of which category (flavor) they're in.

Ka-ching....ka-ching. ( 2 cents deposited)

oldcars
01-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Wow! lots of good info, I will break out the maps soon and plan a route! keep it coming! Thanks again-

Mikejts
01-02-2009, 06:44 AM
OK, I don't know if this is the right section to post this in,

I am thinking about taking off from Oregon on a trip in a month or so to visit a friend in Oklahoma. I will be stoping in Pahrump NV. along the way. are there any easy places I need to see along the way in Arizona, NewMexico, or the Texas Panhandle? Heres the catch:
I am driving a 3/4ton 4x4 pickup but I have a semi-fragile load so real rough roads are out, and I would like to stay within 100 miles of Interstate40 so I can motel it because I don't have room in my truck for camping gear. I am looking for easy sites on this trip, just something to cut up the long drive. Abandon Route 66 ? Ghost towns? Old Mines? remember, nothing too bumpy or snowy.
Thanks!

Why not pass thru Colorado and see some of our Ghost Towns. I stay out of the mountains in the winter and spend time on the plains. Gets a little windy at times and you have to fight a few tumbleweeds but it can be fun. I went out on the 30th and saw 4 ghost towns. Here is what happened at one of them.

I recently took a trip to Aroya. I had been there almost a year ago to the day. Only that time it was night and I was not able to see much in the dark. It was in the middle of the Colorado Plains without even a moon. This time it was a bright sunshine filled day. As I was wondering around I noticed a snake skin. I did not think much of it but I did stop to pick it up and see if it looked like the skin from a rattler. A quick look told me YES. It was probably the skin from a Prairie Rattler (http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/Prairie%20rattlesnake.htm). In any case I continued exploring and then became extremely cautious as I noticed several more skins. After I stopped counting at 18 skins I got seriously nervous. The majority were at least four feet in length. At least one over six feet. All in an empty lot between two old buildings. A space perhaps 20 by 40. Now I know snakes can shed more than once a year and sometimes even three times a year. That still left me with at least 6 snakes to worry about. Thank the good Lord it was winter and they typically do go into hibernation. In any case I did not see any. You can bet that if I go back in the spring I will be extra cautious. Be warned if you go to watch your step.

old judge
01-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Bad Bob...Next time I'm in Reno, you can bet I will go to Virginia City..Next time I'm in Arizona, and have an excuse to go from Flagstaff to Phoenix, or vice versa, I'll do it. Just not my vote for starters. Too much, too easy; if Oldcars will just do a little work 'fore startin' out, he'll do better.
And yeah, Laura, I've not been to Tombstone, buttttt, I've been close.
OJ

HollyDolly
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
:Dyou might want to check out for Texas the following website,www.texasescapes.com
They list ghosttowns both alphabeticaly and by regions.
They have listed some of the towns along the old Route 66 which i think parral's I-40.

Around my area near San Antonio, there are quite a few ghost towns.
Some of them have a very small population.Good luck on your travels.

zonainarizona
03-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Oatman is a nice place to visit, there is a great page here on that town. When you leave head east on the road and its a winding lovely drive, do it during daylight its very narrow and winding, it is one of the best drives I have ever taken! You can then head over to Jerome which is another nice drive up to the top of the hill, its an aritisan colony now, with many living in the origianl housing. Sedona is magical and a wonderful drive. If you have time to drop down to Montezumas Well and Montezumas Castle (use google images to view these two areas). This is a dream drive to me. If you can enter Oatman in the morning, you can make it to Jerome before sundown. You could stay in Cottonwood before going on to Sedona, and make Montezumas well in the same day too. Have fun, what a great drive you are taking. If you stay in Kingman, the Motel 6 is actually very clean and rooms are 40.25 right now, you can pay less if you travel south on that road its on, its next to the Freeway too. I was in Oatman on Wednesday. Id pass on Tombstone, for the additional miles, for me, the drive through Oatman and the ensuing road to Kingman was well worth the travel.

Sunrise
03-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Greetings.
I live near Tombstone and I agree, it is not worth visiting, unless you are on your way to visit the many beautiful places in Cochise County. Cochise County has a multitude of outrageously beautiful places, Tombstone, however, is not featured on that list.