PDA

View Full Version : Packard Mine in Nevada

Tom Green
03-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Not sure this post belongs here, however I beleive this is a "historical site" as it is an old abandoned mine in the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation.

The Packard Mine is located north of Pyramid Lake just below the Emerson Pass area on the East side of the road along the mountain range. This area was referred to as the Cottonwood mining district in 1948. In 1967 David Lecount Evans surveyed the area and his notes are scaned with the Nevada Bureau of Mines.

I attached a few pictures of the mine and area. One photo shows a water trough that comes down the steep hill.

Anyone ever been up there or know anything about the area?

reno4x4
04-02-2009, 09:00 AM
I have never been there but I know where it is on the map. Was there anything interesting inside the mine?

Albin
04-03-2009, 04:45 AM
Looking at the location on GE, I went past the mine back in the late '80's during one of my Xmas vacation trips to the BRD. On this particular trip, I came in from Susanville, into Sand Pass Siding and then went up the east side of the Smoke Creek Desert basically driving right next to the rail line from Sand Pass Siding to Gerlach.

As I recall, there was a lot of snow that winter in the NW NV area, so it was easy to miss details. It was easier seeing where all the little side towns were located to service the old steam train (Reynard, Trego, Sano, Smoke Creek etc.).

This was back in the days when I'd go on +2 week ghost town hunting trips, starting at sunup, driving and exploring until almost dark and just camp where I was at the end of the day. Froze my butt off a couple times that winter, but dang if I couldn't do that now.... :(

Thanks for the pics.

Al

Tom Green
04-15-2009, 07:54 AM
There was nothing in there that I saw with the execption of some old pump motor thingy....