PDA

View Full Version : GPS recommendations

Ghosttowns.com
12-27-1999, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Rob Harrington

: Hi everyone -

: It's been awhile since I've visited this site - great to see it's flourishing.

: I am looking for feedback on what's a good starter GPS - I want to be happy with what I get, but I don't have a thousand bucks to spend on one either.

: I live in Colorado so - how it works in tree coverage / mountains/ etc. is important to me.

: TIA

: -Rob Harrington

Ghosttowns.com
01-08-2000, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Tom Budlong

: : Hi everyone -

: : It's been awhile since I've visited this site - great to see it's flourishing.

: : I am looking for feedback on what's a good starter GPS - I want to be happy with what I get, but I don't have a thousand bucks to spend on one either.

: : I live in Colorado so - how it works in tree coverage / mountains/ etc. is important to me.

: : TIA

: : -Rob Harrington

: I have a Garmin GPS=II+. Around $200 now, I think. Very satisified with it. It has what I think is a 'second generation' antenna - I had a Garmin GPS40 before the GPS-II+ and the 40's antenna was not nearly as sensitive. The GPS=II+ is probably as sensitive you will get on a portable/handheld. I always have been impressed with Garmin's functions. The bad news is that the operating manual stinks.

: When not carrying it around I have it mounted next to the steering wheel. Very handy.

: BTW, the Garmin 12XL is a little earlier model, less expensive, and the antenna seems to have the same good sensitivity as the GPS-II+.

xplor'npaul
09-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Consumer Reports magazine lists the magellan crossover as a top gps.......

Rattler
10-13-2007, 12:22 PM
I just posted in another thread about what I use. Currently its a Garmin Etrex. I got it for $50 off eBay new. I am moving up to a Gamrin 60Csx or 76Csx by next Spring hopefully.

The Delorme PN-20 has a bunch of built in maps and looks to be a nice unit also.

All of them I mentioned can be had for around $250-$400. I like being able to take it from one vehile to another as opposed to a mounted tell-you-where-to-go model.