PDA

View Full Version : Okanogan County, Wa. Ghost Towns (Our Vacation)

Darin
06-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, the wife and I just got back from our ghost town excursion. We went to (in Okanogan County) Riverside, Loomis, Gold Hill, Conconully, Ruby, Oroville, Wauconda, Old Wauconda, Bodie, and (in Ferry County) Republic. Here is a schedule of what we did...

Saturday, May 30th:
Arrived in Omak and checked in at the motel. Once we got settled, we took off for our first ghost town, Riverside. Once we got there we stopped in at the store and looked for the bullet holes in the ceiling there and talked with the clerk. She stated that they may or may not be from bullets since it was pretty much a story about Frank Watkins. We took some pics and then went to find Frank's grave site. Right accross the highway and just outside the Riverside cemetary sits Frank's headstone.
There was a vase with some flowers in it so we know he has a small "following".

Sunday, May 31st:
Went to Loomis to see about Chief Sar-Sarp-Kin (Last Chief of the Sinlahekin Band (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkjynCyZKUQQBt3tXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWgwN28 5BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11u3v2bt2/EXP=1244093735/**http%3a//www.ghosttownsusa.com/bttales19.htm)) who resided in that area back in the day, but the town is very religious compared to Loomis' glory days of bars and dance halls...everybody was at church (even the cafe was closed), so we drove on to Gold Hill. We followed the road North and found that it was just before the ghost town of Nighthawk. We took a couple of pics there and started to head back. On our way back, we noticed this...
a rock/sod house in the side of the hill. It has two doors that were open so you could see inside. It is one of the best "unknown" finds that we've come across in our trips.
Next we went into Conconully and had a bite to eat and visit the museum there. The food was exceptionally good and would tell everyone who asks to stop in. We then went to the Museum and spoke with the person there about the town of Ruby. Great information was given and directions to there were right on the button...Thank you, Bonnie and the rest of the museum staff.
Off to ruby. Following a dirt road off the main, we came across Ruby. There were only a sign and a plaque stating that you were at Ruby. We took some pictures and then headed back for the night.

Monday, June 1st: Woke bright and early to go to Oroville to the Old Depot Museum. There we took pictures and spoke with the curator there about some of the towns, the people, and the artifacts that were there, then it was off to Republic in Ferry County. On the way there, we drove by Wauconda and Old Wauconda so we planned to stop there on the way back. In Republic, we stopped and had lunch at The Cantena, a Mexican restaraunt which we also highly recommend. From there we went to the Stone Rose Interpretation Center, a museum of fossils from the area and also had the first cabin that was ever built in Ferry County.
Next was the town of Old Wauconda. Not much there except a few remnants of cabins. Then it was off to Wauconda, a tiny town with just a store and diner, and a few houses in the area. We stopped and asked for directions to Bodie and got the best (to the mile) directions. We found Bodie a short time later and spent a majority of the day exploring the 8 buildings, 10 if you count the two outhouses. 2857
2858 Then it was back to the motel.

Tuesday, June 2nd:
After checking out of the motel, it was off to Okanogan to the museum there. had a wonderful time looking at all the interesting artifacts there and taking some video. Our last "GT" stop was in the town of
for some ice cream and a stretch of the legs.

speedy
06-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Really nice post, thanks so much.....Speedy

bad bob
06-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Agreed Speedy.

And I also like the personal touch when folks insert themselves in the photos. Kinda removes a bit of the forum anonymity. Thanks mr (and mrs) D. :)

PS: Darin I see we have matching hair styles. :p

Darin
06-03-2009, 09:32 AM
After I get all the pictures sorted, I'll start posting them on here for everyone's enjoyment...all 184 of them. :eek:

BB- Thanks! I prefer the "personal touch". I feel not only should the forum be about sharing ghost town info, it should also be about the people who seek the towns out and the fun they have doing it. ;)

Vulture
06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Well, the wife and I just got back from our ghost town excursion. We went to (in Okanogan County) Riverside, Loomis, Gold Hill, Conconully, Ruby, Oroville, Wauconda, Old Wauconda, Bodie, and (in Ferry County) Republic. Here is a schedule of what we did...

Saturday, May 30th:
Arrived in Omak and checked in at the motel. Once we got settled, we took off for our first ghost town, Riverside. Once we got there we stopped in at the store and looked for the bullet holes in the ceiling there and talked with the clerk. She stated that they may or may not be from bullets since it was pretty much a story about Frank Watkiins.

I've read that in the 50's the wallpaper was stripped off the Birdcage Theatre in Tombstone to reveal the origonal walls & over 150 bullet holes were counted.

Great travelogue & pictures, thats a very picturesque area. I also love to know there's a place that closes down so everybody can go to Church. Great sights, good eats pretty country & ice cream too!

Thanks for posting this, lets see some more pictures.

<

Flatiron
06-13-2009, 04:41 AM
Darin..........Thanks for posting the photos. I never knew that there was another Bodie, besides the one in California.....:D