PDA

View Full Version : Ophir Days

Ophir
07-16-2009, 09:50 AM
the semi ghost town ophir is having there annual ophir days on I think the 1st of august where there will be games food a free breakfast until 9am. and also my grandmother who is the head of the historical comitte has been making a small mueseum of old houses the newest is having new walls put in because the old ones where falling apart and it will be a school house

campp
07-16-2009, 10:34 AM
What state or country is this?

40FORDJIM
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought at first this was in Colorado. They also have a semi-ghost town of Ophir. But this Ophir must be in Utah. I have been to the one in Colorado several times but not the one in Utah. The one in Colorado has some new homes built at the east end of town and that takes away some of the ghost town feel.

Norman Johnson
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
There is an Ophir in Washoe County, Nevada on the west side of Washoe Lake that was started with the Ophir Silver Mining Co. mill in 1860 and once had 1,500 reidents.

There was also an Ophir City in Nye County, Nevada, for the mine in Ophir Canyon that operated between 1864 on and of until 1890. The mine produced $800,000. "Remaining to mark the townsite in 1953 were picturesqe stone and log buildings, and Ruins of the Murphy mill."

Both of the above are from Ghosts of the Glory Trail, by Nell Murbarger.

NJ

Norman Johnson
07-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Ophir was a region mentioned in the Bible that was supposed to have fablous wealth. It has been used for the names of many mines.

NJ

Vulture
07-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Yep, lots of Ophir's in the American west. In SE Arizona on the eastern slope of the Santa Rita Mts is Ophir gulch, where Greaterville is located.

<

40FORDJIM
07-16-2009, 01:33 PM
My reason for saying Utah is because the person posting the first message is from Tooele, Utah which is the county that there is an Ophir in.

Norman Johnson
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Now don't start using logic on us. Most of us gave up that stuff long ago.

NJ

dwinslow
07-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Actually there were two Ophir towns in Colorado. An old and a new Ophir. I have pictures of 'em both someplace. I'll hafta dig 'em out of my pile of junk here.

Darin
07-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Oh boy, more pics from Don...I'm gonna have to stand back and do the "Happy" Dance now!!! :D

(Not to be mistaken as the "Pee-Pee" Dance) :o

campp
07-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Oh boy, more pics from Don...I'm gonna have to stand back and do the "Happy" Dance now!!! :D

(Not to be mistaken as the "Pee-Pee" Dance) :o

From now on, this is the perfect default ending to any thread that goes astray... We simply turn the thread over to Don, cause he's got the goods! :D

dwinslow
07-17-2009, 08:27 AM
From now on, this is the perfect default ending to any thread that goes astray... We simply turn the thread over to Don, cause he's got the goods! :D

Hey, what I'm really worried about is that "Pee-Pee dance thing that Darin mentioned in the above post. I'm not sure I wanna know any more about that.

40FORDJIM
07-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Actually there were two Ophir towns in Colorado. An old and a new Ophir. I have pictures of 'em both someplace. I'll hafta dig 'em out of my pile of junk here.

You're right, Don. They are kind of between Telluride and Silverton and the old & new were about 2 miles apart.

Darin
07-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey, what I'm really worried about is that "Pee-Pee dance thing that Darin mentioned in the above post. I'm not sure I wanna know any more about that.
Okay, okay, I'll just call Billy Crystal and he can show me how to do the Walter Huston dance from City Slickers! :D

cheever
07-20-2009, 08:21 AM
It is the Ophir that is in Utah. :)

ghost_town_huntress
07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Well I'm just going to have to go to Ophir Days this year. I was just in Ophir a week and a half ago going through the old Ophir Hill Mine as well as the Miner's Delight Mine with Mojave Underground. I'll post pictures soon. Anybody else planning on attending Ophir Days? Maybe we can carpool? I'm in Salt Lake.

ghost_town_huntress
07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I also found out Eureka's Silver Days are Aug. 12-15. I'm also planning on heading out there. Not sure which day yet; whenever my mother in law doesn't need her car I guess, unless I can catch a ride with somebody.

BestWitted
07-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Is that the Eureka that is in UT as well? Just went through that town last weekend......big changes.....many of the old buildings that housed a current business are boarded up.....seems like everyone's front yard now has a pile of rocks 2' deep instead of the lawn they once had.....also heard that some state agency wants to cap all the old mines to prevent 0 access. Oh well.....progress???:(

ghost_town_huntress
07-26-2009, 05:38 PM
They like to call their "progress" reclamation. I call it destroying our history. Sad....

pauline
07-27-2009, 11:02 AM
ophir days is a fun way to spend a saturday here in the tooele county area they have been doing a lot of work on their historical district and town to make it nice to visit and see the old buildings also the county has now opened a trail into Jacobs City which is a ghost town between Ophir and Stockton there is a trailhead/staging area in soldier canyon which is in Stockton if you are out this way and want to see the Stockton Musuem give me holler i can let you in also the stockton cafe has some neat pictures that they have been given as well as some old mining tools and they make a great meal

silverstate55
07-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Say, isn't there an Ophir mine in Inyo County, CA, near Darwin?

hamellr
07-30-2009, 08:52 AM
There is also one on the Oregon Coast about 10 miles north of Gold Beach. It had a suburb named Nesika Beach, which seems to have become a town in it's own right for a short amount of time. But the Nesika Beach fire department still has the Ophir name on it.

There is only one or two old houses left in Ophir. Nesika Beach is now a mix of old 1920's beach houses and modern vacation homes.

Hobo2
08-12-2009, 08:35 PM
the semi ghost town ophir is having there annual ophir days on I think the 1st of august where there will be games food a free breakfast until 9am. and also my grandmother who is the head of the historical comitte has been making a small mueseum of old houses the newest is having new walls put in because the old ones where falling apart and it will be a school house
If I'd only seen this a few days ago... Oh well, Ophir is fun to visit anythime!

ghost_town_huntress
08-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I was going to go to Ophir Days but ended up missing it. I was so worn out that when the alarm went off that morning I turned it off and went back to bed. I am planning on going to Eureka's Silver Days on Saturday with my best friend and my older daughter.