PDA

View Full Version : Camping, quad riding and ghost towns in the NW???

CindyBanta
07-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I would love to combine my 3 favorite things to do in one trip. Any place in Oregon or Washington that this is possible?

Flatiron
07-31-2009, 05:01 AM
Cindy........Any relation to the Bantas in Lee Vining, California ?

Sunrise
07-31-2009, 06:52 AM
Greetings Cindy Banta. Somewhere along the lines of family history, we are related.

The Bantas were here in Arizona from the 1850's on. When the first territorial governor arrived in Arizona, Albert Franklin Banta was a scout for that expedition. He is credited with discovering Meteor Crater. Franklin Street in downtown Tucson was named after him. He holds the record of having been elected to more political positions than any other elected official in the history of Arizona.

The brother of my great grandfather was "Tex"Banta. He left a manuscript of his autobiography that was published in True West magazine. He was likely to have been the first non-Indian to have crossed over the Olympic Mountains in Washington. He also roamed much of Arizona around the turn of the century.

So on and so forth.

CindyBanta
07-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Well now that is interesting. I'll have to tell my husband. I married into the Banta name. No relation to the Banta's in Lee Vining Cali that I am aware of....

David A. Wright
08-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Cindy........Any relation to the Bantas in Lee Vining, California ?
I wondered the same. I lived in nearby June Lake for years in the 1970s and 1980s and knew of most of the Bantas and their role in the history of the Mono Lake basin.

hamellr
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I would love to combine my 3 favorite things to do in one trip. Any place in Oregon or Washington that this is possible?

I'm not sure of the laws in riding ATVs in various areas are, but your biggest problem is going to be finding a ghost town in Oregon that is worth visiting. Most of the places I can think of that would be in ATV country only exist on a map, there is no signs of any town left.

I can not speak for Washington of course.