PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer problems?

silverstate55
09-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm still using IE7, since IE8 gave me nothing but grief...I have all updates installed, the newest Norton Internet Security Suite & SpyBot TeaTimer all installed & fully updated.

But whenever I try to load the forums.ghosttowns.com home page, it keeps redirecting to that darned "Your computer is infected! Scan your computer now for viruses" website, telling you to click "OK" to supposedly scan for viruses....when all it really does is install Trojans & malware when you click "OK."

In FireFox, it doesn't do this...only IE7.

Anyone else have this problem????

I've checked everything on my computer, I doubt that it's infected with anything....I keep everything up to date & don't click on ANYTHING suspicious.

hamellr
09-05-2009, 06:17 AM
You've got spyware or malware on your machine.

If you don't feel like getting a tech to take a look at it, these two links might help you.

http://www.1nova.com/blog/?p=199

http://www.1nova.com/blog/?p=296

hamellr
09-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Oh, and you should really upgrade to IE 8, it has a few security holes patched.

Failing that, go get Firefox and use that.

45-70Ranger
09-05-2009, 10:34 AM
I hope it's not one of several that are self replicating.
Those can be a real PIB to remove.
Might try "Crap Cleaner" (CCleaner) from download.com.
It's free.
My best to you.

silverstate55
09-06-2009, 07:48 PM
2 full days later, I've narrowed it down.

It was a browser hijack, but only from this site; it also took down my Firefox completely, so I had to uninstall it & re-install it (most recent version too).

Ad-Aware is useless; so are the "free" online virus/spyware scans available (with the exceptions of CCleaner, SpyBot TeaTimer, & Spyware Blaster).

I did complete scans with my most recent Norton security suite software, including for rootkits, all with negative results....also did a complete scan with SpyBot, also with negative results. BUT, I did notice that some updates were available & that a new Immunization was required afterwards...perhaps this allowed the browser hijack?

I did an online scan with Panda & a couple of others; they all came back with messages that I was supposedly infected with viruses & spyware. HOWEVER, all the supposed viruses & spywares were all for previous versions of Internet Explorer (5 & 6) and were last active in 2006/7. I'm glad that I researched info on these so-called "infections," since they were merely trying to get me to pay for their software without actually delivering any verifiable benefits. I'm glad I researched before buying.

Also tried updating my Windows XP SP2 to SP3, after a ton of problems with it when it first became available & I had to uninstall it to revert to SP2. If you want to know what trials & tribulations I had with installing SP3, just do an online search for "sp3 access denied." And yes, I had to perform each & every step for problems, including resetting my Registry Permissions via Reset.cmd. Fun!

I've tried to install IE8 twice before, but I was dumb enough to try it a third time today....of course it still didn't work. On restarting, I keep getting the enjoyable message "Application Failed To Initialize," systems restarts automatically, then when it reboots & I try repairing/launching IE8, it gives me a blank white page and the infamous hourglass.....for hours......no matter what threats I make it still just stares at me....screaming does no good either....my wife is ready to kill me....

And yes, my anti-virus & anti-spyware was shut off the whole time....oh the joys of computers.

silverstate55
09-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Oh yeah, also used HijackThis extensively & also KillBox. NO spyware/malware/viruses/unknowns found.

45-70Ranger
09-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Silverstate,yes, puters can be so much fun,that sometimes,I was ready to put a 45 slug in a couple-3 of mine.
Would need a shut down,and get away from it before I ......killed my computer !:mad:
Usually,I have patience with them.
Sometimes it's me,sometimes it's them.
Used these things since DOS days.:eek:
As my Uncle once said "They're far from perfect."(He passed 1987)
My XT was bought in 1988.
But yes, on the old Sixgunner Forum,
a vn (something or other).org kept hijacking.
I finally got the address and got hold of the admin.
They had no idea of what was happening.
My 2nd e-mail to them got results:told them it was their problem".Presume,it was an update they did.
Yeah, things can get interesting at times.

JoeZona
09-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Silverstate55, I think your best option is re-format and install a clean copy of the OS. I know it's a PITA, but it looks like you've checked pretty much everything else already.
It is the only *guaranteed* way to fix these sort of problems.

silverstate55
09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks Joe, but everything's fixed now...upgraded to XP SP3 and installed most recent updates to Spyware Blaster & SpyBot, then Immunized to prevent further browser hijacks.

Hopefully this will help other users prevent the frustration that I went through.

Now I get to upgrade & update 3 other computers....fun fun fun...

feranm_ie8team
10-12-2009, 11:00 AM
As Hammelr suggested, you might want to upgrade to IE8. From a security standpoint, IE8 is a much safer browser than previous versions so may be in your best interest to upgrade. In fact a new NSS Labs study shows that Internet Explorer 8 is the best browser for protecting consumers against malware and phishing attacks. Read more here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/08/13/real-world-protection-with-ie8-s-smartscreen-filter.aspx
Feran
Internet Explorer Outreach Team

silverstate55
10-12-2009, 05:49 PM
As Hammelr suggested, you might want to upgrade to IE8. From a security standpoint, IE8 is a much safer browser than previous versions so may be in your best interest to upgrade. In fact a new NSS Labs study shows that Internet Explorer 8 is the best browser for protecting consumers against malware and phishing attacks. Read more here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/08/13/real-world-protection-with-ie8-s-smartscreen-filter.aspx
Feran
Internet Explorer Outreach Team

**SIGH**

A shameless plug for IE8....it would be nice if he read my original post, where I said that IE8 WON'T install...I've been all through the MS knowledgebase, and IE8 just will NOT install on my computer. So I'm stuck with FF & IE7.