PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Problems 2

David A. Wright
09-05-2009, 05:15 AM
I clicked on Silverstate 55's thread on Internet Explorer problems and managed to read about two lines when my computer was redirected to some site that immediately started scanning. I didn't delay and went to X out of IE. And when I did another box opened up - I didn't really take the time to read it - that said something to the effect that closing the window will cause harm to your system. I still closed the window and it shut down IE.

Beware! GaryB, can you check into this please? I think silverstate55 is a legitimate member, but apparently the virus has found a way to reside in his post.

Now to get off line and do a full virus scan ... :mad:

GaryB
09-05-2009, 06:10 AM
I can't find anything that will pop up. I turned off all my pop up blockers and nothing happens. I can't find anything tied to the post either. I'm wondering if there was an infected pop up that the server caught onto? If it continues, I'd suggest getting a hold of Todd and have him see if it's a server issue.

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/member.php?u=1

hamellr
09-05-2009, 06:19 AM
My suggestions for him count for you too. You've both got some sort of spyware or malware on your machine that needs to be gotten rid of.

Darin
09-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't know...I only get it when I'm on this site. Nothing else comes from any other forums that I'm on (and there are four more that I go to). I just close out of I.E. and then my antivirus program goes into action letting me know "what's up" and I stop it from getting in.

I got one two nights ago at work and one today, just a bit ago.

I do notice that the ads have changed...just wondering if that might have had something to do with it :confused:

David A. Wright
09-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I can't find anything that will pop up.
Nothing popped up, the page was hijacked to this scanning page.

I turned off all my pop up blockers and nothing happens.
That gave me an idea and I checked my pop up blocker and found it was turned off for ghosttowns.com. I leave the popups in disabled mode except for two other forum sites that I trust that open new links in a separate window.

I enabled my popup blocker, went to silverstate55's post and nothing out of the ordinary happened this time. Thank you for the tips everyone.

David A. Wright
09-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Happened again, on a totally unrelated post. Seems to be random. I had been browsing several other threads before this happened. I did a scan on my system earlier and found nothing.

No pop ups, it's hijacking the page quickly to a simple white page with a white box with text within, which starts showing changing numbers like it's scanning your drives.

This time I X'ed out the tab instead of closing the entire IE program, getting the same "doing this will harm your system" and I still clicked it off.

Like the person above, this is not happening on any other site that I frequent (I frequent only news and five 4x4 and western history themed forums; seldom browse unless I'm shopping for something and checking prices at national chain sites [I don't buy online]).

Edd
09-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Switch to FireFox it's free, works faster, uses less resources and doesn't get attacked like IE. :D

bad bob
09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm running Firefox. Been doing the same thing on mine too. :mad:

David A. Wright
09-06-2009, 07:48 AM
For the sheer volume of attack-ware out there, it's amazing we can even navigate the Internet at all.

I have no doubt that there's something alien residing on my computer, or even somethings. No matter how good anti-virus software is, it's still steps behind the creaters of the crap that infest the Internet waters.

Since it seems to be two random threads that triggered the switch for me (and likely more if I were to take the time to start going through each individual thread; but I only check out threads with titles that interest me and ignore the rest) and I'm not getting this problem on the other forums and websites that I visited yesterday (this has only happened to me yesterday), that leads me to think that something is residing both here and on my computer that triggers the switch.

Darin
09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I just had two alerts pop up from my antivirus program when I first logged on here. Both showing that it was a "malware" virus infection. There is no doubt that something is hooked into the website, but I don't agree that it is in your computer if you have a better than average anti-virus program. I ran a check for viruses and found none on mine, but I still got the warnings...I just denied access and went on with checking out all the new posts (one being deleted of course) I use Avira and it blocks virtually everything that tries to enhibit my computer. But like I said before, I noticed this happening ever since we got the new ads, like "gamevance" and others. I feel that it has something to do with one or all of those, but I could be wrong. I just hope it gets resolved soon and since I'm not I.T. literate, I just wait and hope for the best.

Joel
09-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm on Firefox and not seeing this issue. What thread in particular seems to be bouncing folks?

Darin
09-06-2009, 06:21 PM
It happens randomly...at work it took a couple of threads being clicked on. Today, it happened when I logged on to the forum, I didn't even get to a topic, I just got two notices of a virus that was trying to gain access to my computer. I just hit the "deny" button on my anti-virus program and everything continued normally after that.

But this is the third time that it has happened to me, twice at home and once on the work computer.

silverstate55
09-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Switch to FireFox it's free, works faster, uses less resources and doesn't get attacked like IE. :D

If only.....

It took my Firefox completely OUT...I had to uninstall FF & re-install it. Kept going straight to the stupid Scan Now hijack pages.

When I began having problems yesterday morning, it was ONLY on this site. No other sites did it.

I believe it was a browser hijack, as I didn't have the most current updates & immunization for SpyBot & Spyware Blaster (Ad-Aware is useless, I've used it since it was introduced years ago and over the past several years it has become obsolete).

My fix that worked is detailed in the previous post.

Sorry fellas, I didn't bring it....it kept hitting me while visiting here.

GaryB
09-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I PM'd Todd, so hopefully he can check out whether it's a server issue, an ad issue or what. I can only work on the forums directly, and there's nothing funny there, though we do have an update (Todd has to do it as he's the owner) though it's mostly a corrective update and not a security update.

Until then, I'd highly recommend using pop up blockers. I'm using the standard IE 7 ones with great success, though I still have Norton and Webroot running as back ups. Knock on wood, I rarely have issues.

Also, I've noticed anything named "gamevance" is evil. I have found it while running HiJackThis and promptly delete anything related to it.

Darin
09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I PM'd Todd, so hopefully he can check out whether it's a server issue, an ad issue or what. I can only work on the forums directly, and there's nothing funny there, though we do have an update (Todd has to do it as he's the owner) though it's mostly a corrective update and not a security update.

Until then, I'd highly recommend using pop up blockers. I'm using the standard IE 7 ones with great success, though I still have Norton and Webroot running as back ups. Knock on wood, I rarely have issues.

Also, I've noticed anything named "gamevance" is evil. I have found it while running HiJackThis and promptly delete anything related to it.
I noticed we had three new ads up in the right hand top corner...gamevance, yourgiftzone.com and ROLF'S import auto service compared to the normal web hosting ads that we have had for the past I don't know how long. I haven't gotten anything since I logged on this session so far so I'm good here. Hopefully Todd gets it all sorted out so we don't go completely mad over this thread.

Joel
09-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Gamevance seems to be adware in gaming software.

http://www.pc1news.com/news/0914/number-1-viruses-adware-gamevance.html

GaryB
09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
The forums are updated, let me know if you guys still get the pop ups that are causing the issues. Be sure to refresh the site if you come directly to the forums as a saved favorite.

silverstate55
09-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Thank you Darin & Gary! FWIW, I didn't have problems with any pop-ups, just a straight-up browser hijack attempt.

Thanks! :)

Darin
09-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Thank you Darin & Gary! FWIW, I didn't have problems with any pop-ups, just a straight-up browser hijack attempt.

Thanks! :)
That's what I had, but in the form of a pop-up...wanting me to download an antivirus program that takes an act of congress to get off the machine...a hijack!!! I HATE COMPUTERS!:D

bad bob
09-08-2009, 02:46 PM
No need to hate computers Darin. :)

It's the dirty, low-life scum suckin' vermin, virus and hijacking uploaders, hackers and spammers that all need immediate execution (Star Chamber style IMO). :mad: Star Chamber defined here: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/star+chamber+proceedings

Darin
09-08-2009, 03:34 PM

It's the dirty, low-life scum suckin' vermin, virus and hijacking uploaders, hackers and spammers that all need immediate execution (Star Chamber style IMO). :mad: Star Chamber defined here: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/star+chamber+proceedings
I second that...while looking at the stars on the ceiling!!!

silverstate55
09-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Hear, hear!!!! Add a third to that list!!!

GaryB
09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
So I take it all is well?

Darin
09-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I personally am still getting the gamevance ads in the right hand corner, but without the pop-ups at home. Here is a screenshot of three of them.

Gamevance ad (lord of the rings)

Gamevance ad (fashion girl)

Some type of "pick your prize" ad (which fries are better)

Then, after a bit, I get just the regular "publishing" ads that we are so use to.
As for the computer at work, I have nothing what-so-ever. ;)

So I can say for sure, "yup"!!!

dwinslow
09-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I too just got infected by a trojan horse virus "AHIY". My virus protection caught and removed it but it happened just after visiting this web site this afternoon. I'm gonna be outta here for a while until this gets cleared up.

silverstate55
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Hmm, looks like Darin is on to something about the ads being more than benign...

Dave, make sure you download & install Spyware Blaster & SpyBot Search and Destroy. Then, after both are installed, download most current updates for both (keep going until both are completely updated). On Spyware Blaster (from Javacool Software), make sure you click on "Enable All Protection" and on SpyBot S&D IMMUNIZE your system. These will help prevent browser hijacks in the future.

FWIW, my anti-virus & interwebs security suite didn't prevent nor pick up on the browser hijack at all...but once I enabled spyware protection & immunized, no more problems...

Darin
09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
:( Sorry to hear that Don, hope to see ya back soon. ;) I just sent GaryB an I.M about it.

We still have the "Atjeu" banners, but I noticed that more and more, the "Gamevance" banners were popping up and less of the other banners. I was just thinking it all may have originated from there.

Vulture
09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm not very bright on computers, so a stupid question. With this malware problem working in an unknown way is it safe to view the forum without logging on?...or can you become infected either way?

<

Norman Johnson
09-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I also am computer illiterate, but it is my understanding that you pick up a virus by clicking on links or attachments. Since there are no attachments, it must be a link that is installing the malware. Since we don't all have it, it may be a link that only certain people have clicked on. But which one?

It probably isn't one of the standard links within the website and may be something that is linked to an outside source---one of the links within a certain post that some have clicked on. I would for the time being caution people not to click on links to outside websites. Which is too bad because some of you have excellent sites.

Just a guess.

NJ

silverstate55
09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Actually, that has little to do with it...it seems that is was a script that ran automatically, contained in one of the ads running at the top of the forum page. If you weren't innoculated against it, the script took over your browser. No click necessary.

If you run the steps I outlined above, that should prevent it from happening.

The links to folks' websites haven't given me any problems.

Norman Johnson
09-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Good advice. Like I said, I don't understand it, but it sounds like you have an excellent prescription for a cure.

NJ

dwinslow
09-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Actually, that has little to do with it...it seems that is was a script that ran automatically, contained in one of the ads running at the top of the forum page. If you weren't innoculated against it, the script took over your browser. No click necessary.

What Silver is saying is correct. It seems that the site is clear now as I have continually checked and it comes up clean. Fortunatly I have AVG Pro and it caught it and isolated it before it did any damage. I upgrade all my protection programs at least once a week and it still got by SpyBot but not AVG. I held back a day or so to see if the site seemed to be clear and it appears that it is. Anyways back to posting some more junk here from Soledad Mountain.

bad bob
09-10-2009, 06:06 PM

I believe you're right on the mark here SS55.

Also everyone should have a RESTORE feature built into your computers. I think newer ones set this up automatically. If a worm does manage to get by your security measures, it may become necessary to use this feature. Actually, I had to use it a couple months ago.

Click on your "help" menus, type in the keywords and follow the directions if you're not sure how to access it. If a CPU becomes infected you only have to initiate the "restore" feature to a pre-selected date, (when it was operating without problems), and that will solve the issue. At least it did for me. :)

For older models, it's imperative you go check to see if you have a restore date set up. If not, it's highly recommended and at least might save you $$$ in repair costs.

silverstate55
09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
You bring up a good point about the System Restore function; when you know you have a problem, and you isolate it, before cleaning your system turn OFF your System Restore...when all done, turn SR back ON. That way you don't have an infected Restore Point, in case you need to restore to an earlier date setting.

AVG works pretty well too, even the free version. I had it on my desktop before the power supply quit.

bad bob
09-11-2009, 07:07 AM
You bring up a good point about the System Restore function; when you know you have a problem, and you isolate it, before cleaning your system turn OFF your System Restore...when all done, turn SR back ON. That way you don't have an infected Restore Point, in case you need to restore to an earlier date setting.

AVG works pretty well too, even the free version. I had it on my desktop before the power supply quit.

Yep I've been running AVG-free for couple years now. It does a much better job than the previous McAfee
Security Suite ever did. :)

Darin
09-11-2009, 07:51 AM
I just upgraded to the Windows Vista SP2 and when I was done and restarting the system, Avira/AVG gave notice that it was incompatable with SP2. After the upgrade, I had to check for updates for Avira. Checked the antivirus system again and got the same thing. (not compatable with this system)...wonder what's next :confused:

silverstate55
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Pray for Vista SP3??? :p

JK, hopefully AVG will come out with a patch soon. Is it the free version or the paid one?

Darin
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Free version...why pay? Buy a computer with Windows...it should come with a free antivirus program as part of the dang package. Anything to make a buck! :rolleyes:

dwinslow
09-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Free version...why pay? Buy a computer with Windows...it should come with a free antivirus program as part of the dang package. Anything to make a buck! :rolleyes:

The paid version has a lot more services. For example it contains "rootkit" detection and healing. That's the virus that took me down and cost a bunch to fix. Since I got the paid program, it has caught another rootkit virus and neutralized it before it did any damage. It's worth it to me.

Vulture
09-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Wednesday, 12:30 pm. The bug hijacked me just now, took me to a page to buy anti-bug software.

I've stopped coming to the forums on my computer, I'm using a webtv thingy, which doesn't have a hard drive to infect.

I guess it is unknown as to exactly why this is happening or where the bug resides?

<

Darin
09-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Yup, I got hit again at home with it yesterday. As long as you don't follow through with it and just (x) out of it, you should be fine. My Avira antivirus program cought it twice, one was a malware and the other was a trojan popping up at the same time. And here I thought it was fixed...guess it just went to sleep for a bit!!! :mad:

GaryB
09-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Todd says the server is clean, and since it's a Linux server, which is supposed to be virus free from everything I have ever heard and seen, I agree with what Darin said. Clicking on an ad initiates a redirect which takes you from the safety of this server and allows the issues to happen.

As for the ads, they're used to help pay for the site's existence. So unless we go to a pay to play format, I'd say we're likely stuck with them unless someone knows a wealthy sponsor with a few dollars to blow?

And it may not be the ads here themselves, as some virus's are set to open after a certain chain of events. Sometimes being at a certain place causes them to initiate, and the current site gets the blame. I'm not defending this place, just speaking from experience. I have had a virus open up while not using IE, working within a different desk top program. Having a constant up line to the internet doesn't help matters. Then there's the ones that come alive after a reboot, and the first time you open your browser.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure your virus program updates are up to date, and if you're not using one, a pop up blocker. Which, are IMO necessary in todays internet regardless of where you go.

David A. Wright
09-16-2009, 09:18 PM
I haven't had any issues since my last reported one. And I've been on this board every day, even if it's only to check on the new posts to see if there was anything interesting.

Darin
09-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Okay...I just logged on today (from work) and was checking new threads. There was only one. It was about "Big Greenbrier TN." in the "History of GT" section. I scrolled down to read all the posts and as I was scrolling, my page went from the Ghost Towns website to the Zone Alarm web page. It did the same thing to me at home earlier, too.

I've never seen this happen before today. Granted it's something different but still, it can be a little agravating when you are in the middle of reading something. :mad: Arrrggggggg!!!!

Vulture
09-18-2009, 03:58 PM
This same thing happened to me today while I was using the webtv thing.

When using a computer what anti-virus, -malware, -spyware , -whatever software is best protection?

If you get hijacked to the site that wants you to buy anti-bug software are you already infected?

What is the meaning of life?

<

bad bob
09-18-2009, 09:51 PM
This same thing happened to me today while I was using the webtv thing.

When using a computer what anti-virus, -malware, -spyware , -whatever software is best protection?

If you get hijacked to the site that wants you to buy anti-bug software are you already infected?

What is the meaning of life?

<

Not necessarily. I always try clicking the X at top right. If you still get msgs to click "OK", and the merry-go-round msgs keep popping up, and won't let you out, you'll have to hit Control-Alt-Delete to bring up the task manager, and then "end program" that way. Works every time for me.

GaryB
09-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Everyone has their preference with virus protection. I use Norton, which is up to their newest model, 360. I started with Norton, heard how it sucked, tried MacAfee and a couple others, got ****** off at their issues (among getting infected and having to buy a new hard drive) and went back to Norton and have been happy ever since. The only issue I have is they sub their tech help out to Hadji and the Prince of Thieves in India or around there and they are worthless. Talk about lost in translation.....

But I also use Webroot's SpySweeper as a back up. It catches things before Norton sometimes, especially the pop up crap.

I also use the generic pop up blocker that comes with IE7 or 8. Honesty, I don't know which I have or what is out, what ever one came with Vista. I'm actually very, very pleased with how well it works. I don't even see sponsor banner ads at sites I visit regularly and trust with out question.

I'd also check your internet security settings. If they are too lax, that allows things to load with out your knowledge. And you get jammed with useless tracking cookies. Mine are turned up pretty high, I can't even send email with out OKing the action to open the program first when on line.

It's a hassle at times, but knock on wood, I have been without serious issue for about 7 years now. Once and a while I have to chew the wife out for doing something that gets us stuck with a browser redirect, but that's better than buying a new PC.

David A. Wright
09-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Though I haven't been hijacked since the two times that caused me to start this thread and one shortly after, I wonder if something was put into my system when it happened.

Since I got hijacked, the three people that I regularly email are not getting my emails if I write them in .html format. If I send text format only (ASCII) then they get them.

I figure that their email server virus protection is seeing something in my .html emails and booting them out. Likely any virus that attaches itself to an ASCII message can't launch itself because it then become simply a long string of unreadable characters or because a text email doesn't activate Active X or whatever it is that allows virus' to do their thing on an infected computer.

My virus protection (McAfee) doesn't see anything. I have IE7 and keep the pop-up blocker activated. I guess I'm going to have to get some malware and spyware freeware. I think I've ware-d myself out with that last line ... :D

acecomike
09-19-2009, 08:46 AM
I have had zero problems with my Mac on here.:)

Darin
09-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Not necessarily. I always try clicking the X at top right. If you still get msgs to click "OK", and the merry-go-round msgs keep popping up, and won't let you out, you'll have to hit Control-Alt-Delete to bring up the task manager, and then "end program" that way. Works every time for me.

This isn't a pop up...the page just changes from "Ghost Towns.com" to the "Zone Alarm.com" web site @ the download product page...at least that is where I ended up.

GaryB
09-19-2009, 12:31 PM
This isn't a pop up...the page just changes from "Ghost Towns.com" to the "Zone Alarm.com" web site @ the download product page...at least that is where I ended up.

Sounds like you have a browser redirect. There's a good, free program out there called HiJack This! that shows whats running on your computer, including BHO's. Browser Helper Objects are one of the ways virus's control your browsers. Once you have HJT!, you can find and delete the programs.

Also, I have and use CWShredder which cleans well known BHO's with much success. It as well is free.

bad bob
09-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Not that one Darin, the one previous. It had something to do with a built-in virus scan that launched automatically. Then another msg popped up if you tried to cancel or X out. If that happens the only thing ya can do is hit Control-Alt-Delete and end program off the task manager. :)

Darin
09-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Sounds like you have a browser redirect. There's a good, free program out there called HiJack This! that shows whats running on your computer, including BHO's. Browser Helper Objects are one of the ways virus's control your browsers. Once you have HJT!, you can find and delete the programs.

Also, I have and use CWShredder which cleans well known BHO's with much success. It as well is free.
I'm downloading them now!!! Thanks Gary. ;)

Not that one Darin, the one previous. It had something to do with a built-in virus scan that launched automatically. Then another msg popped up if you tried to cancel or X out. If that happens the only thing ya can do is hit Control-Alt-Delete and end program off the task manager. :)

Got it...gotta love that 3-finger salute!!! :D