PDA

View Full Version : New ghost towns

Joshua Reader
09-12-2009, 06:43 PM
About a week ago I submitted the history of a new ghost town in Mariposa County, called Carson. When I uploaded it, a message told me it would go up as soon as possible. Yet, I'm still waiting to see it.

Anyone know what the hold up might be? I've submitted towns before with no problem...

Should I re-submit it?

Thanks,
Josh

old judge
09-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Joshua..Understand you were a member 10 years ago and posted several Ghost Towns at that time. What was your moniker then, and what GTs did you post? Hate to see you get discouraged. After all, you're a real old timer. OJ

GaryB
09-13-2009, 01:25 PM
There is only one person doing the updating among other things on here, and since this is mostly a hobby for them, it takes some time to get to the submissions. If you don't see anything say within a month, you could try to resubmit.

But give them a chance.

Joshua Reader
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks, Gary, I really had no idea about the staffing situation, and appreciate your reply. There's really no rush whatsoever...not a problem. This is just such a big, impressive site that I naturally assumed there was an army at work behind the scenes! I can't find another site to compare with it, and am glad to be a part of it.

:)

Joshua Reader
09-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey, friend judge!

I had a different, now-obsolete email address at that time, and honestly can't recall my moniker (my age catching up w me, I reckon). Around '98-'99 I submitted Quartzburg, Indian Gulch, and Agua Fria--all in Mariposa County, CA.

Carson, a town not far from Agua Fria, and named for the famous Kit Carson, was my recent submission. It's a fascinating area because not only was it tied to J.C. Fremont and his Las Mariposas Grant of rich mines, but it was also a hang out for prostitutes, horse thieves and murderers; it was a notorious place mentioned often in early accounts of the area.

I'm not so much discouraged as anxious, because of my self-imposed hiatus in the area of historical research. But I've earned my degree now, and I can afford to get back to delving into the area I've loved since I was a kid: Mariposa County.

:rolleyes:

To quickly summarize my experience: I have written several newspaper articles regarding Mariposa history, which appeared in the Mariposa Tribune, a weekly sheet; also a couple pieces for Mariposa County Historical Quarterly; and worked with E Clampus Vitus (MATUCA Chapter) on writing historical markers for plaques they've erected. I've been engaged in expanding and updating my blog dedicated to Mariposa history. There any one who is interested can find many of my articles and unpublished work in the field.

Best regards,
Josh

Joshua..Understand you were a member 10 years ago and posted several Ghost Towns at that time. What was your moniker then, and what GTs did you post? Hate to see you get discouraged. After all, you're a real old timer. OJ

Norman Johnson
09-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Stick around, Josh. This sounds like just the site for you, because most of us are history junkies---but local history---really local. By reading and appreciating other members efforts, we all expand our knowledge and love for the west.

My suggestion is to post your stuff to the forum where you can get some immediate feedback and we can get to know a new place and its history.

NJ

silverstate55
09-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Joshua,

Please stick around; I'd love to read your submissions & posts!