PDA

View Full Version : One of the most irritating banner ad I've run across.

dwinslow
10-15-2009, 08:19 PM
This evening a new banner add started appearing on the top right of the forum pages. This ridiculous ad keeps coming back with a voice saying "contragulations, you won". This thing repeats itself every few seconds. Is there any way the webmaster can $hitcan this thing. This is the most irritating ad I've run across. I know, I can always turn off the audio but that's a pain if you don't remember to turn it back on when exiting the page.

JoeZona
10-16-2009, 07:00 AM
You may want to try the Firefox browser with the Adblock Plus extension. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It removes *ALL* advertising banners from *ALL* web sites. Works perfectly and sets itself up automatically. It's very cool.

(You'll still need to keep IE around for Windows updates)

dwinslow
10-16-2009, 09:21 AM
You may want to try the Firefox browser with the Adblock Plus extension. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It removes *ALL* advertising banners from *ALL* web sites. Works perfectly and sets itself up automatically. It's very cool.

(You'll still need to keep IE around for Windows updates)

Thanks Joe. I use Firefox and I had the ad blocker in here but maybe it got turned off. I'll check it right now.

dwinslow
10-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Nope. It's still coming through and I can't turn it off.

JoeZona
10-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Hmmm. I don't know why that is...you have the Adblock Plus with the little ABP stop sign icon in the upper right of the browser? There are a couple others out there that have similar names.

dwinslow
10-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Hmmm. I don't know why that is...you have the Adblock Plus with the little ABP stop sign icon in the upper right of the browser? There are a couple others out there that have similar names.

Yup, sure do and it's active but it won't take out this new banner ad. Man, this is really irritating. It won't shut up. Every time I go to something new on this page it blabs: "congratulations, you won". I'm losing my sense of humor over this. This crap just started yesterday.

JoeZona
10-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Strange...I don't get that at all.
Could it be a bho hijacked your browser? I recall a while back Darin was having some nonsense like this going on...
Sorry I'm not much help :confused:

dwinslow
10-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Strange...I don't get that at all.
Could it be a bho hijacked your browser? I recall a while back Darin was having some nonsense like this going on...
Sorry I'm not much help :confused:

I dunno. I've run scans and nothing comes up. It's just on this site, no others. I can't even move about this site at all without it blabbing at me.

dwinslow
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Finally got it out. I'd sure like to strangle the little a$$ that put that on here. :mad:

JoeZona
10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Cool.
What was it?

dwinslow
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Cool.
What was it?

It was this one:
|http://ad.yieldmanager.com/*

It won't let me copy the rest of the address but just add it to the filter list and it should get all of them using the "wild card" (*).

danny_stoddard
10-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Congratulations, You Won!!!!

dwinslow
10-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Congratulations, You Won!!!!

Gawd, I wuz ready to take a hammer to this puter. Every time I did anything to change the graphic on the screen, I got that message. Joe gave me the clues as to what program might get it out and after some searching, I finally got to the source.