PDA

View Full Version : Estelle Mining Town of Georgia

jackieg31
10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
If you have or know of information on the town of Estelle, GA., PLEASE let me know ASAP!!!
Thanks!

bad bob
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
It's listed on the GA page at this site, have ya been there already?

JoeZona
10-20-2009, 05:48 PM
A Google search (http://www.google.com/search?q=estelle+ga+ghost+town&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) with "estelle ga ghost town" turns up about 28,000 results!
With ghosttowns.com being #1! :)

silverstate55
10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
NO no no! He doesn't have time for that nonsense, he needs the info NOW!!

:D

CBLee1978
04-09-2010, 12:33 AM
The information on the Estelle page is incorrect. Estelle was an iron ore mining town...not a gold mining town. In any case, the author's grandfather probably would have known my family (Lee & Nalley families) seeing as how 2 generations of them all work at the mines at the same time and 3 generations total lived in Estelle at once. My dad, aunts and uncles were all born and grew up there until right after the mines closed and the town faded away back in the mid 30s.

The Estelle school, where my dad, aunts and uncle (and possible great-aunts & uncles) all attended, stood in the exact spot where the Estelle Cemetery is now located. I seem to vaguely recall my dad saying that the school burned down at some point and was never rebuilt or relocated. In any case, my great-grandfather Isaac "Isom" Lee and great-grandmother Lydia Magdillon Warren Lee are both buried there. Isaac Lee would had to been one of the earliest to be buried there seeing as how he passed in 1933. However, I have heard that there are much older graves than his located there. If this is the case, that means that the graves would have been moved from an earlier cemetery and interred there after the school closed. Interesting.

Forgive me if I sound like I am rambling. I'll just close in saying that if anyone has any info, or even photos, that they'd like to add I would greatly appreciate it.