PDA

View Full Version : Arizona, Tonto National Forest Trails

LauraA
11-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Well, it looks like the forest service has revved up their engines and are poised to make some unwelcome changes to our Tonto National Forest access. They're proposing closing off some trails (quite a few) and publishing a map showing which trails we can use, if they aren't marked on the map as being open to the public, they'll be off limits except for those fortunate enough to be able to hike in on foot.
They're saying they're taking "input" from the public now, but I'd guess they've already made their minds up.
Enjoy the trails before it's too late and if you've got an interest in keeping a favorite trail open, now's the time to write a letter or two...
:mad::(

check it out;
Tonto National Forest - Travel Management (http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/travelmgt/index.shtml)

campp
11-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Laura, when you say trails, are you referring to FS roads?

JoeZona
11-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Yikes! The government protecting us from ourselves again.

What's the point in 'protecting the forest' if nobody can get to enjoy it :confused:

LauraA
11-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Laura, when you say trails, are you referring to FS roads?

Yep, FS roads, (not hiking trails)
Check out the maps in the link I posted in my previous post...scary! :eek:

Jacob "Shifty Eyed" Waltz
11-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Yikes! The government protecting us from ourselves again.

What's the point in 'protecting the forest' if nobody can get to enjoy it :confused:

I believe it is called "CONTROL"

This is really some sad news and what is even worse, is this is our tax dollars at work.....sigh!

LauraA
11-10-2009, 06:43 AM
I believe it is called "CONTROL"
This is really some sad news and what is even worse, is this is our tax dollars at work.....sigh!

"Control" is right. Recently we spent a week camping at Burnt Corral on the Apache Trail. A ranger came by to check to be sure we had our Tonto Pass and while chatting he kept referring to us as "customers." Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but it irked me. I don't think of us as customers, more like "shareholders" since the National Forest system belongs to all of us. We, along with loads of friends and neighbors have attended all local meetings, written letters and certainly have made our objections clear when it comes to closing off access to some of the places we enjoy visiting.
The Forest Service can say what they want about having open forum meetings to seek input from forest road users, but in my opinion, the decisions have already been made and there's little we can do to change things.
I still encourage people to write or call their local representatives, it can't hurt.

Complete E-Mail Addresses for Congress/House, Senate, Governors & State Legislators (http://www.conservativeusa.org/mega-cong.htm)

AZBang
11-10-2009, 09:26 AM
What will they take from us next?

It's sad to see this happening.

We're losing more and more land to developers and what left they don't want us to use either. I hate to see what's coming in the next 10 to 20 years.

silverstate55
11-10-2009, 10:14 AM
--- shame on me ---

Norman Johnson
11-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I camp in the mountains or the desert every other weekend. That's right---26 weekends a year---every year. I camp in many places, a lot of them on dirt back roads and mine or ghost town sites. I pick up trash at the site and for hundreds of yards around. I get everything---even small shards of broken glass (not antique glass). But, honestly, I can't keep up.

Shooters are the worst---next it is motorcycle riders. DO NOT DRINK BEER SET THE BOTTLES ON A ROCK AND SHOOT THEM. PICK UP YOUR SHOTGUN SHELLS AND BRASS. DO NOT LEAVE THE ROAD AND RIDE WHERE EVER YOU WANT.

The desert and all the dry lands of the west are extremely fragile. They show the scars for centuries. Steel cans sit for a hundred years with but a little rust. Motorcycle and tire tracks can remain for fifty years in the desert.

If you want to continue to use our wild lands, respect them---follow the rules and encourage others to do so as well. I say this because I want to keep camping in my favorite spots, but I know I need to have zero impact, or even repair the impact of others, if this is to be so.

I know Laura and everyone on this website understands this, but there are many who don't. They think the desert is for them to play how they want and who cares what happens when they leave.

Don't blame the land managers, blame the real culprits---those who disrespect our public land.

NJ

Darin
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
---next it is motorcycle riders. DO NOT DRINK BEER SET THE BOTTLES ON A ROCK AND SHOOT THEM. PICK UP YOUR SHOTGUN SHELLS AND BRASS. DO NOT LEAVE THE ROAD AND RIDE WHERE EVER YOU WANT.
Don't blame the land managers, blame the real culprits---those who disrespect our public land.

NJ
I recently heard on the "tube" that there is a place near Gold Bar, Wa. here that was set aside for bike riders. Now the Govt./land managers, want to cut that land in half and take away from the riders, hence, making them wonder what to do and where to go next.

It's stuff like this that doesn't surprise me in the least to find broken bottles and torn up trails in ghost towns and other scenic land areas. Even the off roaders are being chased out of their own playground and clashing with ours...so to speak. Now it just seems like there is not enough room for all of our hobbies.

I understand what you're saying about the garbage and shells and what-not. But not everyone thinks about it as we do, and not everyone tries to do something about it like you do, NJ...so in these final words I offer...good luck and thank you for your part in what you do every 26 weeks of the year in keeping our hobby and wild lands neat in a "not-so-neat" world.