PDA

View Full Version : Silver Reef State Park

Ghosttowner
03-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Silver Reef is a ghost town in Washington County, Utah. It mined silver in sandstone. Now, I'm only an amateur miner, but I know that silver in sandstone is an extremely rare occurrence. I'm going to write to the legislature and propose that this historical site be made into a state park. This will not be easy (they had plans earlier but threw them out), but I think it would make a great state park. What do you guys think? :confused:

Tsarevna
03-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I think you need to find out why they threw the plans out. If it was a matter of money nothing is going to convince them to spend money buying land for a new state park at this time. Not when they are proposing 4 day school weeks.

If it was for some other reason they declined to make it a state park, find out why and fight that somehow. (Perhaps it has something to do with a hold-out landowner?)

Lastly, take a bunch of pictures. They are worth a thousand words. You need to show why it is special and deserving of special attention and protection.

You haven't convinced me yet, reading what you have said, about why it would need to be a park. I don't know anything about the place, nor about mining. If you were to show me samples of this silver-in-sandstone ore, statistics about just how rare it is, and perhaps some pictures of standing buildings or how the place used to look (what is restore-able) then I might be convinced. :)

edit: Also, it wouldn't hurt to show how the new park would help the local community and economy. *wink*

danny_stoddard
04-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Tsarevna.... a woman after my heart as always! :)