PDA

View Full Version : Gilman Colorado

Ghosttowns.com
01-30-2000, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by wiseguy

: Not sure if this will be what you are looking for.

: I grew up in Gilman 1969 through 1976. It was a town of 350 people who worked the zink mine.

: It closed around 1977 when all prices for minerals went out the window and many mines in colo. closed.

: They decided to food the mine for safty reasons and close all but the talings pond down at the bottom of the field.

: They hoped to sale to Vail but Vail did not want to take responsiblity for the talings pond.

: Now that prices are up for land their it might be their advantage now to do just that.

: To think that my dad grew up in Minturn and could have bought the back side of the Vail mountain for $100.00. Some banker

: told him that it was a waste of money. If only I could find that banker today.

: What a town to grow up in. We took our sleds from the top of the mountain and rode them down to the tracks. It took about 15 minutes of hang

: on and close your eyes at times and about an hour to get back up.

: It is sad today that I am not able to take my family and show them the house that I lived in. But it burned down in 1977.

: Some day I hope to walk the streets or what ever vail makes them to become.

Ghosttowns.com
02-02-2000, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Ken Johnson

: Thank you for the personal insight.

: : Not sure if this will be what you are looking for.

: : I grew up in Gilman 1969 through 1976. It was a town of 350 people who worked the zink mine.

: : It closed around 1977 when all prices for minerals went out the window and many mines in colo. closed.

: : They decided to food the mine for safty reasons and close all but the talings pond down at the bottom of the field.

: : They hoped to sale to Vail but Vail did not want to take responsiblity for the talings pond.

: : Now that prices are up for land their it might be their advantage now to do just that.

: : To think that my dad grew up in Minturn and could have bought the back side of the Vail mountain for $100.00. Some banker

: : told him that it was a waste of money. If only I could find that banker today.

: : What a town to grow up in. We took our sleds from the top of the mountain and rode them down to the tracks. It took about 15 minutes of hang

: : on and close your eyes at times and about an hour to get back up.

: : It is sad today that I am not able to take my family and show them the house that I lived in. But it burned down in 1977.

: : Some day I hope to walk the streets or what ever vail makes them to become.

Ghosttowns.com
11-25-2000, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by David Wells

: : I grew up in Gilman 1969 through 1976. It was a town of 350 people who worked the zink mine.

: : It closed around 1977 when all prices for minerals went out the window and many mines in colo. closed.

: : They decided to food the mine for safty reasons and close all but the talings pond down at the bottom of the field.

: : They hoped to sale to Vail but Vail did not want to take responsiblity for the talings pond.

: : Now that prices are up for land their it might be their advantage now to do just that.

: : To think that my dad grew up in Minturn and could have bought the back side of the Vail mountain for $100.00. Some banker

: : told him that it was a waste of money. If only I could find that banker today.

: : What a town to grow up in. We took our sleds from the top of the mountain and rode them down to the tracks. It took about 15 minutes of hang

: : It is sad today that I am not able to take my family and show them the house that I lived in. But it burned down in 1977.

Ghosttowns.com
07-09-2001, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by David Wells

:

: i have some video of the town about 1 hour

: oneaussieboy@juno.com