PDA

View Full Version : Buddy system - reply to Brian10x 2006 post

davef
05-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Brian10x in 2006 raised the issue of the buddy system. This appealed to me as a former SCUBA diver and as a ~new GTowner. I wanted to go to Helvetia but flat tire [ 1st trip ] then weather [ 2nd trip ] prevented that. I wanted to go to Gillette but being alone, with rental SUV, difficult to retrieve by rental car company if necessary, isolated location and the presence of a person nearby I didn't know...well, that was too much for this tourista. So, I'm already planning a trip to AZ for 2011. Are there people I can hook up with to go to these sites ? I hate to miss this history while it still exists!

Thanks, all.

D

David A. Wright
05-15-2010, 09:46 PM
If I can, I prefer to go with friends when exploring 4WD trails or ghost towns. We all take our separate vehicles, so if the event one gets stuck, broken down or otherwise incapacitated, there are other vehicles to rely on to go for AAA or help yank you out of the deep hole you just dug yourself into. When on longer trips we each have our own vehicles to camp in. Each of us have radio units - either CB or FRS or both, for chit chat along the way and for truck to truck communication.

I also oftent travel alone, but there's always the "what if" factor involved. All my wheeling buddies live from 175-350 miles away, so it's not like when the mood strikes me that I can call them up and they come running. I carry emergency and comfort supplies and clothing in my truck 24/7 and leave an itinerary with my wife (who is not into off roading) before I go on my own.

Norman Johnson
05-16-2010, 05:20 PM
90 % of the time, I travel alone--okay, two dogs. When I do travel with others, we are in the same vehicle, so that is like traveling alone--only with twice the problem when one breaks down. Yet this isn't actually so. If you have a companion in the vehicle, you are much better off.

Medical problems- two is better than one.
Road construction-- two is better than one.
Vehicle repair---two is better than one.
Figuring out a problem---two is always better than one.

NJ