PDA

View Full Version : "Newbie" here

myleswest
06-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new at this, so bare with me if I sound a bit ignorant on some of this.
I live in Tombstone, AZ. and I'm interested in doing some metal detecting in the area of Contention City. I did a little research and there seems to not be much left of the place but I thought I would make it my first search attempt.
First, what is the proper procedure to find out if it is lawful to even go there or any place like that?:confused:
How do I first find out if it is private property so I don't get my head shot off?:(
And finally, If there is anyone that would like to buddy up with me for some metal detecting in this area, I would appreciate the company.
I have been warned that its not good to be out there alone in the desert because of the hot sun, snakes, and "illegals".
Any advice or tips would be appreciated, Thanks.
Dennis

Darin
06-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Dennis.
I would actually say to try one of the metal detecting forums for those questions as metal detecting questions in a ghost town forum don't really mix well. We pretty much go by "take only pictures - leave only footprints" as to preserve what is left of our ever dieing ghost towns. Also, there is all the info on "if it's legal or not" on those forums.
Good luck though on finding the info you need.

Tsarevna
06-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Most ghost towns are going to be archeological sites in the future. Even if you didn't remove the objects you found, taking them out of the layer of soil they are found in ruins the way you date an object forever. Taking home a door knob means you have robbed archeologists of understanding history, and all it gets you is a junky old doorknob you'll put in your garage.

Top Reasons not to Metal Detect Ghost Towns:

-Removing artifacts on federal land is a federal crime
-Removing artifacts from private property is stealing
-Asking for permission on private land is begging people to get hostile with you (they know you are looking for valuable stuff and want to keep it)
-Ghost Towns are public knowledge, they are listed on old maps. Their location is not a secret! They have already been picked clean 99% of the time of any valuables
-Tin roofs disintegrate into tiny fragments and get spread all over the place by the wind. The metal detector will go crazy much of the time around foundations picking up the roof bits
-Metal detecting ghost towns will be something like this: tin roof bit, nail, bottle cap, bottle cap, bottle cap, nail, screw, penny, wire, wire, bottle cap, bottle cap, pull-tab, pull tab, roof bit, roof bit, roof bit, screw, nail....you get the idea

I know the commercials for metal detectors make it sound all glamorous and innocent, but it most places it's just not legal to take stuff. It's glorified looting. A good use for one would be to use it to find gold nuggets in a dry stream bed after you have purchased a gold claim, or somesuch thing.

JoeZona
06-24-2010, 04:43 AM
I was out detecting near the Peralta massacre grounds a few years ago and found a handful of coins - not really collectable, but a handful of 'em. Plus some guy's driver's license from California - which I mailed back to him. He was thankful.

Then I was out near Madrid, New Mexico, and found TWO steel pennies. That was cool.

In the Mother Lode area, I have found old Chinese coins, and an 1848 silver half-dollar. And an iron meteorite!

Darin
06-24-2010, 08:38 AM
I was out detecting near the Peralta massacre grounds a few years ago and found a handful of coins - not really collectable, but a handful of 'em. Plus some guy's driver's license from California - which I mailed back to him. He was thankful.

Then I was out near Madrid, New Mexico, and found TWO steel pennies. That was cool.

In the Mother Lode area, I have found old Chinese coins, and an 1848 silver half-dollar. And an iron meteorite!And just what kind of ore was that driver's license made of to find it while metal detecting? :eek:

Great finds Joe!!! Just got an "Whites Eagle Spectrum" given to me and can't wait to try it out!

JoeZona
06-24-2010, 04:07 PM
And just what kind of ore was that driver's license made of to find it while metal detecting? :eek:

Great finds Joe!!! Just got an "Whites Eagle Spectrum" given to me and can't wait to try it out!

Nice one! I have a White's, too...they make some good stuff.

If I may offer some advice. Practice, practice, practice! Bury some coins and nails and lead BULLETS and metal stuff out in the yard, and practice with your detector at different settings. You may be surprised to find how sensitive your detector is to different settings. After a while you will become pretty good at sort of knowing what you've detected.

And try to ignore your wife looking at you with the "what a dumba s s" look when you're out finding TREASURE!!! 6038

Darin
06-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Nawwww - she gave me the "you lucky *^%$ hole...I want one now" when I brought it home and told her how much I DIDN'T spend on it. :D