PDA

View Full Version : Staying in a ghost town

Pat Towell
08-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm wanting to know who to contact about an extended stay in a ghost town. Whose law do they fall under? Specifically where I'd like to stay is Bumble Bee AZ.

David A. Wright
08-11-2010, 07:20 PM
General advise, as I don't know a thing about Bumble Bee, AZ: if the ghost town is on public land (BLM, Forest Service, National Parks) you can camp anywhere you like as long as no regulations are posted (as in some cases in National Parks). I've camped in many California and Nevada ghost towns over the decades.

GaryB
08-17-2010, 01:42 AM
BLM camping rule is 14 days without moving, not sure about Forestry though I believe you have to use existing camp sites witout making new ones. And all you have to do is move your tent like 5 feet and you're in a new location for 14 more days. Check with the local BLM office to see whether the land is private or public though. We still have active claims on numerous old mine sites in Nevada, not that that stops anyone from going where they're not supposed to. But it's always nicer when you have the law on your side. Even better when you have a BLM agent in your truck, but that's another story....

campp
08-17-2010, 03:33 AM
I just wouldn't try to stay there in August...

bunk
08-29-2010, 06:20 AM
All of the town of Bumble Bee is privite. I would go knock on a few doors as most of the folks that live there are friendly. Lota of places to dry camp around the area, to the south are a few spots that will work for a RV.
Bunk

HollyDolly
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't know how it is here in Texas. there are towns here around the San Antonio area, like Hackberry,which has a couple of old houses built in the gothic style of the 1840s to 1860s or so, and a stone store building, and then Golly which has a community center and maybe a few houses,etc.I assume these are privately owned,don't know.Like Nickel,in Gonzales county has the old store building and that's about it.I guess most of them would be considered private,so you might have to seek out some local land owner or owners for permission to camp out. Been years since I have been to Dewville, Pandora,Hackberry ,El Oso and a few others. Never have been to Golly or Flaccus or Seclusion or a couple of other places around here.

KE7WOX
09-07-2010, 10:21 AM
There's a spot where I've seen people camping, not too far away from BB. It's heading to Crown King from Bumble Bee, right by the intersection of the road that goes to Cordes/Mayer (the shortcut that goes to that road really). It's right on the Agua Fria Natl Monumnent so I have no idea what the restrictions are, but I've seen people with tents and even trailers camping there, there's an old large tank (probably a water tank) from the old mining days. And I believe there are still active mining claims in some areas nearby.

If you want to go further away, I'm pretty sure there is a USFS established campsite where Bradshaw City used to be, about 1.5-2 miles out of Crown King, heading out to the Senator Highway and the Backway.

Bunnie123
02-05-2011, 05:31 PM
I would also like to stay down in that area. It's about 55 miles from Prescott so I'm wondering if the previous person (August 2010 Post), ever got any info on this place. Thanks! :)

campp
02-06-2011, 05:09 AM
There's good camping near Bumblebee to the west and south. Plenty of good spots by the river. If you have an RV, you can still park up higher and be within walking distance of the creek.