PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Stars

Mike Woodfin
11-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Interesting. Just watched an episode of "Pawn Stars" where they were invited to a guys back yard to make an offer on an old ore cart and track. They did not make an offer but, it was obvious by all the artifacts he had laying around that he had been plundering all the ghost towns around Vegas. He had quite a bit of old GT artifacts on display in his back yard. He even admitted that he got them at old mining sites. :mad:

GaryB
11-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah, saw that episode too. Now I know where some of the stuff I used to see went.

Tsarevna
11-23-2010, 04:10 AM
I'm glad they didn't make an offer. What made me pretty upset was American Pickers.

They actually purchased an iron grave marker, had it appraised and were so delighted to find out it was worth a lot of money. They probability inspired a whole new generation of grave robbers.

campp
11-23-2010, 05:00 AM
I actually wrote an email to the AP producers about such things as selling grave markers and historical items. I got a "thank you" reply about my "comments".

Asshats.

patty pickett
11-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I agree,people should leave things where they belong..so others can enjoy them too..I've seen alot of wonderful things at ghost towns around Idaho & Montana.
and I'm glad the last person to look at them left them for me to see :) another thing that annoys me are the ones that graffitti the old buildings that people are trying to restore ..like Bannack & elkhorn...many wonderful places to visit..we've seen a lot & hope next year to see many more! I have alot of picture of ghost town if anyone is interested..here is my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/people/34121831@N00/ I think this will take you to it..I would love to hear about any ghost towns worth going to,as I'm a photoholic & absolutely love these places!

Mike Woodfin
11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Nice textures Patty. I wish I had the $ to afford the version of Photoshop that does the HD treatments.

Mike Woodfin
11-23-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm glad they didn't make an offer. What made me pretty upset was American Pickers.

They actually purchased an iron grave marker, had it appraised and were so delighted to find out it was worth a lot of money. They probability inspired a whole new generation of grave robbers.

Yeah I saw that one. I really like "American Pickers" but I think they should have let that one lay. Actually the "hoarder" did the actual graverobbing.

We lost a fabulous 1800's gravestone down the street to a thief a few years ago (hillsborough County, FL). I will try to find a pic but the quote was priceless:

SACRED to the MEMORY of John Carne who was born Aug. 23rd 1804 and was cruelly massacreed by the Indians April 17th 1856. Here in the silent grave lies one whom no man had aught against. No, I did not miss the spelling on the stone.

He was killed (shot 5 times)and scalped by Seminole Indians after he took his family to stay with friends and went back because he thought the were stealing his hogs. His friends buried him where they found him.

The Seminoles were chased down into Manatee County by the home guard and all but one was killed.

We have never located the old headstone. The State but up a new one since he was a member of the FL State Militia.

patty pickett
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't use photoshop for my HDR pics ..It doesn't work well... so I bought photomatix light..it does an awesome job & I think I only paid $50.00.. check it out !
you can use a raw format or a jpeg form..works on both..

danny_stoddard
11-24-2010, 11:17 PM
leave only footprints, take only memories (or pictures)