PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Socks

Ghosttowns.com
02-16-2000, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Sambo Johnson

: Anyone tell me where a place that's caled Dirty Socks? It's suppose to be located not to far from a place called Keeler near the Inyo Mountains ? Any help would be appreaciated !! Thanx, A head of time !!

: Sambo

Ghosttowns.com
02-17-2000, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: REPLY

: Dirty Sock is a hot spring on the southern shoreline of Owens Lake. It was once an improved Inyo County park, but has been abandoned since the late 70s.

: You can easily drive to Dirty Socks with any vehicle. The turnoff is located 4.7 miles northeast of US Highway 395 on California Highway 190, then it is three-tenths of a mile north of the highway on a paved road (pavement old, broken and potholed).

: Remains at Dirty Socks are the hot spring pool and cement patios and foundations. There are no standing structures there today.

: I would exersize caution when using Dirty Socks. It is generally covered in a thick coating of algea and appears rather uninviting. I also fear broken glass at the bottom of the pool. However, I recently had a conversation with a buddy of mine and Dirty Socks came up and I found that he goes in whenever he goes by and has never had any problem at all. Hot spring enthusiasts generally keep hot springs clean, and other than the pond scum on Dirty Socks it may be clean on your visit.

Ghosttowns.com
03-22-2000, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Gabby Hayes

: I am deeply offended by the name Dirty Socks Hot

: Springs. How dare you name a spring with such a

: digusting title. I contacted the Inyo County

: Supervisors and they have agreed to re-name it.

: When we drive around in our air conditioned RV,

: complete with TV and Refrig., we do not want to

: visit any area's that may offend us. My husband

: and I will be re-naming all old mining sites and

: springs so the future generations are protected

: from the offensive past. Devils Playground? How

: bout: Lovely Park Drive.

keelerbeach
08-06-2006, 01:00 PM
I am sure if you had ever visited Dirty Socks Hot Springs you would have known why it was so named. The smell of the water and gasses in the area resembles the smell of the old highschool gym and dirty socks.
Even though it is an interesting place to stop by, even when the winds and the blowing sands are going.

LauraA
08-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Blechhhh bathing in a smelly, green algae soup can't possibly be good for a body?! I never even liked showering after gym class and our showers had a bit less algae than this place appears to have.

Dirty Socks Hot Springs (http://esaudubon.org/hot_spots/dirtsock.htm)

ahamacav
08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Here's some more photos of Dirty Socks.

http://digital-desert.com/dirty-sock-springs/

LauraA
08-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the link. Dirty Socks STILL doesn't look like the kind of place I'd want to soak my old bones in. :)

ahamacav
08-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the link. Dirty Socks STILL doesn't look like the kind of place I'd want to soak my old bones in. :)

I usually keep my 'springs' page up to date, but I forgot all about having that one in on my site.

It reminds me of the story about Walker's men eating the dried fly larva without knowing what it was. Kinda gross, but so is the springs.

High Desert Drifter
08-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Here's some more photos of Dirty Socks.

http://digital-desert.com/dirty-sock-springs/

these pictures actually look a lot more inviting than the ones I saw in George williams book "Hot springs of the Eastern Sierras".

ahamacav
08-22-2006, 10:14 PM
these pictures actually look a lot more inviting than the ones I saw in George williams book "Hot springs of the Eastern Sierras".

Thanks. I should get that book. I had read somewhere that the name originated from miners washing the socks used to strain mercury from amalgam balls (I'm not sure of the process). I think a more logical origin is it smells like dirty socks- wildly. I didn't stay for a soak.

padabo
05-17-2008, 08:51 AM
In July 1969 my family took a trip 'out west' from our home in Michigan.

We decided to drive through Death Valley on our way to Sequoia National Park. It turned out to be a near disastrous move. A check of your weather history will bring up stories of record rains throughout the west that year. The rains had washed out the main roads through the park, and forced us to go miles out of our way on secondary roads. As a result, we limped in to Olancha at 10 at night after a worrying ride on E, and pumped more gas into our '69 Pontiac wagon than our owners manual said our tank would hold.

On our way to Olancha, we had passed Dirty Sock Campground. Since we were camping our way across the west, we headed back and stayed there. Anyone who wonders how the place got its name only has to take a whiff. Pretty darned obvious. There were at least a dozen other campers there in a round stockade that surrounded the round cemented pool where the spring flowed. Of course, my 14 year old self and my two younger sisters had to go for a dip. My parents went later. I don't remember it as having been unpleasant, but very pungent. Since we had arrived in the dark, we were surprised at the grandeur of the Sierra Nevadas, which leap from the flat land where Death Valley and Olancha sit.

lucas25
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
is that lady and her husband for real??? They wan to change the name of Dirty socks because it offends them? I have been going to Dirty socks for forty five years. It is called dirty socks because union soldiers used to wash their socks there not because of the smell. To change the name would change the history of the place. By the way, the water is very healthy for people. Within a few days of being there, my aunt's skin condition cleared up.

campp
08-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Lucas, that's probably just a troll. I don't think you can just call and someone answering the phone can agree to change a name...
I could be wrong...

Joel
08-31-2008, 01:45 PM
I believe that you have to petition the USGS and the government of your state. This process usually had to do with more of changing non-PC names to ones that are more of the vogue of the moment. There is actually a quad in Arizona called Negro Ed in Yavapai County and quite a few negro canyons. That doesn't include Squaw Tit Summit in the Kaka NW quad (Maricopa County) or any other of a slew of names that might offend. If you want to change the names, use your rights as a citizen. Don't sit back and whine.
Let's see how many hits the auto-censor will give me for this.

spiralwolf
07-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I grew up stopping in at Dirty Socks on our yearly trips from CA to NV and AZ. My family all got in the water and had a wonderful time. Yes it was slimy and stinky, but when you got out of the springs, after being in a car all day, and got cleaned up, you felt so much better. The stars are so close to you up there, we'd spend hours just looking at the stars and wondering at what a wonderful world this is. Renaming a place because the name offends you just doesn't make sense. It is like muzak. It removes all the history, all the creativeness of our ancestors who found these places and shared them with the upcoming generations. It is re-writing our history. These places were named for very good reasons. If you don't personally feel comfortable going to a place with a name like Dirty Socks, then I suggest you don't go there. Makes me wonder what you call your dirty socks at home? Cleanliness-challenged inner footware?

Tsarevna
07-02-2010, 11:22 PM
is that lady and her husband for real??? They wan to change the name of Dirty socks because it offends them?

That post was dripping with sarcasm. It couldn't be more sarcastic if you put a Jack Nicholson grin on it's face.
It's humor, and the joke is on you cause you didn't get it!
The point the poster is trying to make is the same one that YOU are, that it is enjoyable to have old colorful names for places like that. The poster is making fun of RV tourist snobs.

bzrkrman
10-23-2010, 07:49 AM
No How dare you to belive that anyone on this planet is concerned with what offedsyou? I am offended that you drive your pollution devise around my great county. I lived close to Dirty Socks as achild while living on China Lake Naval Weapons Center. It is only because I remember the name Dirty Socks that I was able to re locate it. It was named by locals before you were born or had your fancy (im not impresssed) sissy owned camper. Folks decades before you named THEIR pool Dirty Socks. It is my opinion that you are a self important,sef entitled ,very,very small person inside non important non mattering to anyone but yourself. Here in Wyonig we have names of locations also named by locals decades before you existed. I invite you to come to Wyoming to test your worth and importance here. Guess wht You will be laughed at,then ridiculed and ran off just as fast as your elitest self in your all important and entitled RV can fuel up and hit the road. I am appauld at your sense of self. YOU do not matter. Stay at home """rough it"" on your own property Steve D. Olver Sheridan Wy

bzrkrman
10-24-2010, 06:19 AM
I wished you would stay at home. you and your rv thats is. Dirty socks has been so named since at least the very early sisties. How shallow your is: Stop rename-ing locations. Im sure I speak for hundreds of millions of folks when i say I couldnt care less about what offends you. Camp out at home name your own property

Dave A
10-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Apparently Tsarevna was not clear enough that the offending post was intended to be humorous.

Prozac my good man, food for the soul. :)

shirohniichan
10-25-2010, 01:21 PM
I usually keep my 'springs' page up to date, but I forgot all about having that one in on my site.

It reminds me of the story about Walker's men eating the dried fly larva without knowing what it was. Kinda gross, but so is the springs.

At least the dried fly larva on Mono Lake was supposed to taste like bacon bits. That's gotta count for something!

Tsarevna being sarcastic?!! Say it ain't so!! :eek:

Vulture
10-25-2010, 07:56 PM
No How dare you to belive that anyone on this planet is concerned with what offedsyou? I am offended that you drive your pollution devise around my great county. I lived close to Dirty Socks as achild while living on China Lake Naval Weapons Center. It is only because I remember the name Dirty Socks that I was able to re locate it. It was named by locals before you were born or had your fancy (im not impresssed) sissy owned camper. Folks decades before you named THEIR pool Dirty Socks. It is my opinion that you are a self important,sef entitled ,very,very small person inside non important non mattering to anyone but yourself. Here in Wyonig we have names of locations also named by locals decades before you existed. I invite you to come to Wyoming to test your worth and importance here. Guess wht You will be laughed at,then ridiculed and ran off just as fast as your elitest self in your all important and entitled RV can fuel up and hit the road. I am appauld at your sense of self. YOU do not matter. Stay at home """rough it"" on your own property Steve D. Olver Sheridan Wy

I am offended that you are offended. I fart in your general direction.

<

sbruce
10-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Bloody Canyon
Gouge Eye
Ladys Crevice
Whiskeytown (offensive to people who don't like whiskey)
Whiskey Gulch
Vulture City (offensive to vultures)
Ragtown (offensive to people with nice clothes)
Hangtown (now Placerville) (offensive to people against capitol punishment)
Drytown (offensive to heavy drinkers.. but not prohibitionists)
Deadville (offensive to people who are alive whomsoever they may be, ie probably not ghost town inhabitants)
Negro Bar
Red Eye
Fiddletown (offensive to workaholics or people against fiddles and/or music)
Rough and Ready
Gunsight (possibly offensive to anti-NRA people)

DISCLAIMER!
THIS POST IS OR IS NOT INTENDED TO OFFEND AND/OR NOT OFFEND ANYONE WHO IS OFFENDED AND/OR NOT OFFENDED BY ANYONE WHO MAY OR MAY NOT BE OFFENDED (WHETHER KNOWINGLY OR UNKNOWINGLY IE SARCASTICALLY OR UN-SARCASTICALLY) WHETHER INTENTIONALLY OR UNINTENTIONALLY OR BY ANY MEANS WHATSOEVER, WHATEVER, AHEM, AHA, ETC.. WHAT? OKAY.

Dave A
10-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Love the disclaimer sbruce, pretty much covers it all.