PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town(?) Quorn in Ontario

Ian_T
02-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows of an old railroad town named 'Quorn' in Northern Ontario (NW of Thunder Bay). It would have been perhaps 15 km north of English River. And if you search Google for Quorn Lake you can find it (very circular lake) right where my old maps show Quorn.

It is interesting for me since my Mother grew up in Quorn, England and when they were children their atlas showed the town of Quorn in Ontario(!). I can't imagine it was ever very big, and would be interested to know if anyone has any information on it. I last saw it on an Ontario road map from around 1980, but on a 1984 (I think it was) map it was no longer there.

Just for fun, I attach a scan of the old atlas page showing Quorn (towards the upper-left...circled). Note that at the time of this atlas, Thunder Bay was still Fort William and Port Arthur.

Who knows, there may be many other ghost towns along those railroads!
Thank you for any information you may have.

ghcoe
02-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Back in the day of steam engines they would have to fill up with water. The rail roads would build water towers in strategic places and these watering places would be named. If you look at a old map such as yours and follow the railroad tracks you will find tons of named places, as in the map show, that no longer show up on new maps. Still interesting, but in most cases no more than a water tower and a shack.

Ian_T
04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Back in the day of steam engines they would have to fill up with water. The rail roads would build water towers in strategic places and these watering places would be named. If you look at a old map such as yours and follow the railroad tracks you will find tons of named places, as in the map show, that no longer show up on new maps. Still interesting, but in most cases no more than a water tower and a shack.

This is definitely the case here...I was lucky enough to get some information from someone in the area:
"Around 1913 the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (later the Canadian National Railway) built the line that ran between Thunder Bay and Sioux Lookout. Since these were the days of the steam engine there was a station every 8 to 10 miles and there were 26 stations along this line. The first station just outside Thunder Bay was named “Alba” and the last station was “Zarn.” All the stations were named alphabetically. In the area around Quorn it goes, Oscar, Petry, Quorn, Reba, Selwyn, Tannin, etc.
Back around the day of the depression there were between 400 and 500 residents of Quorn. It had a post office, a Hudson’s Bay outpost, a telegraph, and a rooming house..."

Ian_T
03-02-2013, 04:11 AM
I was lucky enough to get this sent to me by someone who knows the area and history!

The history on “The Hamlet of Quorn,” in the township of Dye, is absolutely astounding. Unfortunately, most of the information is not documented in any books, rather it comes through word of mouth from some of the many people and their descendants who lived there over the years.
A bit about Quorn: Around 1913 the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (later the Canadian National Railway) built the line that ran between Thunder Bay and Sioux Lookout. Since these were the days of the steam engine there was a station every 8 to 10 miles and there were 26 stations along this line. The first station just outside Thunder Bay was named “Alba” and the last station was “Zarn.” All the stations were named alphabetically. In the area around Quorn it goes, Oscar, Petry, Quorn, Reba, Selwyn, Tannin, etc. Back around the day of the depression there were between 400 and 500 residents of Quorn. It had a post office, a Hudson’s Bay outpost, a telegraph, and a rooming house that I guess today we’d call a “Bed & Breakfast.”
The first big lake on the English River System is Selwyn Lake, which is about 4 miles downstream past Quorn, and the fishing and hunting is fantastic. Back in those days all settlements were built near the food supply and there was plenty of fish and game at Quorn. The rapids along the English River at Quorn are the last rapids before it flows into Selwyn lake and the fish can only swim up as far as those rapids.

ghcoe
03-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Too cool. Thanks for sharing the update....

Brad
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Hello to all,

I need some time to find a map about Quorn and scan it.

Talk to you later,

Brad

Brad
03-22-2013, 04:01 PM
I mean to say I have a topographic map that covers the CNRR from Argon up to beyond Watcomb station. Looking high and low for the *** map now. I remember first seeing "Quorn" and took an interest in this location. Thought I could ride a train through there but the track was torn up in the 1990's.

Brad

Eagle River, WI

Brad
03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Here is the map and I modified it. I think these stations were about six miles apart for maintenance work. I bought this map in 1980 when I fished on Sturgeon Lake.7864

Ian_T
03-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Here is the map and I modified it. I think these stations were about six miles apart for maintenance work. I bought this map in 1980 when I fished on Sturgeon Lake.7864

Any chance you could repost a slightly higher resolution? Can't really read this. Thanks!

Brad
03-25-2013, 03:42 PM
I don't know if I can, maybe I can e-mail it to you?

Brad

Here is a better looking map.9035