PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Towns in Lander County, Nevada

LindaH38267
03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
I was reveiwing the information about the ghost towns in Lander County, Nevada, and noticed that almost all of them were listed as 4WD roads. However, Battle Mountain is listed as being on a 4WD road and it clearly is NOT...it's right off I-80 and we've stopped there many times for fuel and lunch. So, it makes me wonder how many of the other towns that are listed as being on 4WD roads really aren't...? Anyone have any information concerning this?

Tsarevna
03-21-2011, 05:51 AM
This website is based on user submissions.

Typically for this site, each ghost town is submitted by a ghost-town enthusiasts (who is typically not affiliated with the site developers), via a form. The information isn't typically verified, it's just posted if it looks legitimate. Mistakes happen sometimes, either the person filling out the form check-marks the wrong box for 2 WD or 4 WD....or it could be that the road conditions changed.

Some of these ghost town pages haven't been updated for many years.

Posting a correction in the forum does not result in any action.
However, if you feel something needs to be changed you can send an email request for a correction.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/email.html

If you have discovered a new ghost town and would like to submit it, use this link:

http://ghosttowns.com/states/submit.html

Going over ghost towns that you are familiar with, and submitting pictures/essays/corrections helps keep this an awesome site.
It may take a while to get your correction or picture published, but eventually the site devs do get around to it. :)

Bob
03-25-2011, 06:22 PM
I was reveiwing the information about the ghost towns in Lander County, Nevada, and noticed that almost all of them were listed as 4WD roads. However, Battle Mountain is listed as being on a 4WD road and it clearly is NOT...it's right off I-80 and we've stopped there many times for fuel and lunch. So, it makes me wonder how many of the other towns that are listed as being on 4WD roads really aren't...? Anyone have any information concerning this?

There are three sites properly named Battle Moutain and yes, two of them are on paved roads, the country seat on I-80 and the railroad siding north of the river on old Western Pacific is more properly refered to now as North Battle Mountain by some but the original Battle Mountain which was a supply site and moved when the railroad was built is the only one that qualifies as a ghost town and I'd say a 4wd or a braveheart is sage advice if trying to bag that site. Beg, borrow or buy Shawn Hall's book for accurate description and locations of Lander County ghosts.

Derrick
07-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Hi, hope you will be fine and nice. I am a bit concerned about the roads those
are constructed only for 4WD. I don't think so that the visit can be made so horrible as it is.

UCF student apartments (http://apartmentsucf.com/ucf-student-apartments/)

ghosttrain2
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Hello-As I live in Winnemucca,alot of the roads in the area listed as 4 wheel drive are all weather or dirt(dust) roads. Some are 2 track through the tall weeds/grass, but passable in 2 wheel drive. Roads to the mines and mine sites can be high clearance,or 4 wheel drive, as they are not maintained,and become rutted and washboarded.Went to the Dun Glen townsite, and Stonehouse (Mill City Exit)over Fathers Day weekend, and that road is also listed as 4 wheel drive, but never had to use it.