PDA

View Full Version : Couple of easy site suggestions

Chippewa
06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi! I just registered, even though i've been an enthusiastic lurker for a long time. I have a couple of suggestions that are gently intended.

First, the MIDI music on the front page is, well, obnoxious. It's usually regarded as a sign of an amateurish website circa 1996, and I know that I, for one, tend to back out FAST when I stumble onto a site with a flashing banner ad and involuntary corny music.

Next issue: registration for the forums was tricky because the captcha image verification was SO danged hard to discern! It was by far the worst image verification I've ever seen--busy graphics, difficult color contrasts, imprecise characters. I have good eyesight and it still took me about 8 tries to get it right, even after refreshing the image over and over to a more apparent one.

Last, I'm not sure what your bandwidth constraints (or expenses) are, but I'd love to have LARGER photos on the site pages. A lot of the photos are smaller than playing-card size, and barely offer a fair depiction of the sites they refer to.

Other than that, this is a GREAT site, and I hope I'll have some worthy contributions as well!

Darin
06-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the forum.

We've actually had a discussion about the midi music on the front page back in 2008, I think...you can see the outcome here! (http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?15943-Music&highlight=music)

The issue about registration...we make it a little hard to register due because of spammers that get on this site. It's not you, we're just trying to make it hard for them. I had to go through it when I joined. But now that I'm here, I don't have to worry about it.

Your last issue about photos...I don't know how your computer is set up but a lot of the photos, if not most, are really fair sized. If your print is small and photos are small, try pushing (Ctrl +) and it will enlarge what you are seeing on the screen.

I hope this helps and once again...welcome to the forum and happy ghost towning!!!

Tsarevna
06-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Chippewa, welcome to the forum!

I became a bit frustrated to by the above concerns. I began to contribute, but came to realize that nobody was really going to see my submissions. There isn't a "what's new" page. So I ended up having to go to the forum to link to my submitted towns: and ran into the problem of annoying and difficult issue of linking to a framed website!
Every time I hit the "refresh" button on the forum, I was taken back to the main page, where my eardrums got blown out because of my old AC'97 soundcard. It wasn't just playing the music, it was playing a feedback-static SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTT! that made me shout in surprise and throw my headphones off of my head onto my desk.

I had to uninstall Apple Quicktime to get rid of the MIDI music. My poor ears couldn't take it anymore.

There are a thousand ways the site could be updated and improved. I figured I'd just stop complaining and make my own sister-site, and contribute here, but have my own site just the way I like it too. :)

DiddleySquat
10-24-2011, 06:16 PM
:D

Whether you like the music or not, it does cause problems for some people. Imagine you live in a small apartment and your roommate has to be at work early. So you use the computer at night. And you don't expect to have a website that blasts loud music at you. Next thing you know, the roommate is awake and mad and you're in trouble...

Just a thought.

David A. Wright
10-26-2011, 06:52 PM
First, the MIDI music on the front page is, well, obnoxious. It's usually regarded as a sign of an amateurish website circa 1996, and I know that I, for one, tend to back out FAST when I stumble onto a site with a flashing banner ad and involuntary corny music.
Well, that's likely because this site dates back to about that time without much change. ;-P I know that I started my contributions back about that time.

And I'm no fan of that music either. That's how I developed the practice - which continues to this day - to keep my volume muted on my computer at all times.

And Darin, thanks for the Control + thing. Didn't know that. And now I don't have to put on my Mr. Peabody glasses to read the posts!

Darin
10-26-2011, 07:16 PM
And Darin, thanks for the Control + thing. Didn't know that. And now I don't have to put on my Mr. Peabody glasses to read the posts!
Not a problem...glad I could help! :D

wimc
10-27-2011, 01:51 AM
----------