PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a beginner

PeninsulaPaul
07-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Hello I am new to metal detecting and would love to learn more. I have a few abandoned places in my area including a town that I would like to visit. I live in the Port Angeles area and wanted to know if there is anyone in my area.

bad bob
07-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Hello I am new to metal detecting and would love to learn more. I have a few abandoned places in my area including a town that I would like to visit. I live in the Port Angeles area and wanted to know if there is anyone in my area.

B4 ya go PP, some places (ghost towns, historic sites, etc) have strict laws and stiff fines for using MD's, and diggin' around. And other places require permission from land owner. Always best to check first.

Tsarevna
07-08-2011, 05:31 AM
Ghosttown code:

Take only pictures and leave only footprints.

When metal detectorists and treasure hunters start poking around places, they suddenly get "No Trespassing" signs on them and fences put up. That is the main reason the code exists, plus, attitudes have changed over what is considered acceptable behavior.

Consider this: everything that you see in a ghost town is visible to you and enjoyed by you because visitors that were there before you left the stuff alone. Be courteous and have the same respect for the next visitors.

Metal detecting has its place, but not at a ghost town. I'd suggest trying it out on a beach where it's legal.

bob3 was bob2
07-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Beaches and parks are good if you are just looking for coins, jewelry, and such. What are you searching for with your metal detector? As Bad Bob stated, you have to be careful if you plan on metal detecting ghost towns as there are Federal laws that need to be followed. I also agree with Tsarevna, vandals usually ruin it for the rest of us who enjoy visiting and exploring old ghost towns. If you do decide to metal detect a ghost town, read the federal laws and never destroy the ruins left there and detect responsibly.