PDA

View Full Version : Ghost town pics

sbruce
10-12-2011, 09:46 AM
While any pics are appreciated, some on the ghost town pictures are way outdated from 1990 or early 2000's. And the locations no longer look as good as that, or in some very few cases work has been done recently and actually improved an old building or two. Or may be that a location is now on private land or been "blocked" usually closed by the BLM nazi's via the so called "Desert Protection acts". This is a long way of asking is there a way to update the pages?

David A. Wright
10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I suppose that can only be done by viewers donating newer photographs. Because those early photos were not all taken by this site's founders. They were donated by many individuals. In the earliest days of GT.com, it was quite a painstaking task to get photos approved, put up and took considerable time.

And actually, photos taken in the 1990s and 2000s (and earlier) are now historical in a relative sense, and continue or preserve a historical link to those sites now greatly changed or now vanished. I actually enjoy seeing historical photos taken during a town's heyday, those taken during decline, those taken after ghosting, those taken in modern times, and those taken today. They preserve the continuity of historical locations covered on this website.

Because even without the negative impacts of human hands, they will not be there tomorrow. Because in time nature will erase all.

sbruce
10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Yeah I am considering putting up a site ghost-towns.org

sbruce
04-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Had Camera would travel!

DiddleySquat
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
While any pics are appreciated, some on the ghost town pictures are way outdated from 1990 or early 2000's. And the locations no longer look as good as that, or in some very few cases work has been done recently and actually improved an old building or two. Or may be that a location is now on private land or been "blocked" usually closed by the BLM nazi's via the so called "Desert Protection acts". (Example Ryan) This is a long way of asking is there a way to update the pages?

I agree. I have a lot of photos from from the Dust Bowl region, mainly eastern Colorado and western Kansas. Some were taken in ghost towns not even listen here.

I'll post a few pictures now and get to some others later.

DiddleySquat
06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Monument, Kansas is in Logan Count, 9 miles west of Oakley on old Route 40. It's in the #1 quadrant of the Kansas map.

Top left: Abandoned house on the south end of town, about two blocks from Route 40.
Top right: An old church with its roof collapsed. It stands next to the house (above).

Second row left: A large vacant house on the north side of Route 40 near the old train tracks.
Second row right: This photo was taken of the "downtown" area from Route 40 (Baker Street) and Fifth Street, looking across Route 40 facing south.

Bottom: an old gas station near the center of town, north side of Route 40.

DiddleySquat
06-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Page City is an unincorporated town in Logan County, western Kansas. It is 16.5 miles west of Oakley on old Route 40. There appear to be a few residents, but I wouldn't vouch for it. Mostly the town is abandoned, with a good part of it vanished. Still numerous buildings and ruins remain.

This is the view of what was once "downtown" Page City. It is along Route 40 with virtually all of the buildings on the north side of the highway.

This is another view of the town center, or what's left of it. The building appears to be an old store or saloon of some kind.

The best-preserved building in Page City is the old bank (above).

Above is another deserted business location in Page City.

Another view of what used to be the business hub, Page City, Kansas.

DiddleySquat
06-14-2012, 06:55 PM
If you are driving west from Oakley, Kansas (toward Colorado) on old Highway 40, you'll see the Page City sign. To your right (north) will be large, concrete grain elevators, and to the left (south) a small abandoned home. Those are the landmarks.

Above is the old house on the south side of Route 40, Page City, Kansas.

Old grain elevator, north of Highway 40, Page City, Kansas.

A long-vacant frame house in Page City.

Another old house near the center of Page City, Kansas

DiddleySquat
06-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Winona is located on Highway 40 in western Kansas. It is about 23 miles west of Oakley and 31 miles east of Sharon Springs. It is partly populated but mostly abandoned. There are several buildings on the main street (Belleview Avenue, which runs north to south), most of them unoccupied.

Above: A section of Belleview Avenue, the old business district in Winona, Kansas.

Another abandoned building in the Winona, Kansas town center.

Belleview Avenue, Winona, Kansas - another view.

Winona, Kansas, an old house with curtains blowing in the wind.

DiddleySquat
06-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Wallace Kansas is on old Highway 40 between Oakley, Kansas and the Colorado state line. It is nine miles east of Sharon Springs and 45 miles west of Oakley. The town is on the north side of the highway. There are residents, but most of the town is abandoned. You'll find lots of ruins here.

Photo above shows deserted grain elevators off Highway 40 in Wallace, Kansas.

Above: A part of the old business district in Wallace, Kansas.

An abandoned store in Wallace, Kansas.

Center of town, Wallace, Kansas.

The north end of Wallace, Kansas.

DiddleySquat
06-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Some more photos of Wallace, Kansas:

Abandoned home.

Another derelict house.

A vacant building near the center of Wallace, Kansas.

DiddleySquat
06-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Walker, Kansas is in Ellis County. It is located just north of Interstate 70 at exit 172. The location is about a mile east of where the old Route 40 crosses under the Interstate. There are several inhabitants, but most of the town is gone. There's no "downtown" any more. But there is a huge and beautiful Catholic Church, St. Anne's, on the only street (Main Street) that goes north-south through the town. A large grain elevator stood by the railroad tracks until 2010, when it was torn down because it was about to fall over.

About half of the few houses that make up Walker are, like the church, well maintained. But the other half are in a picturesque state of ruin. Five of those are pictured below. Nothing is "staged" in these photos. There are exactly as I found them.

In the 1940s, Walker was home to a large Air Force based which closed shortly after World War II ended. The remnants of the facility, mainly an airstrip, remain to the north-northwest of the town itself. It's off-limits to photographers.

All photos taken 22 February 2012.

bob3 was bob2
06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Nice photos Diddley, thanks for posting them.

DiddleySquat
06-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Thank you. I hope to get out to eastern/southeastern Colorado for more ghost town pics soon.

bad bob
06-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Thank you. I hope to get out to eastern/southeastern Colorado for more ghost town pics soon.

Yep, I agree with bob 3-2. These were all interesting shots, & I appreciate ya puttin' 'em up too. :)
Also nice to see some more ghosts from the midwest.

campp
06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Really great shots, DiddlySquat, thanks for posting them!

Ontariodreamer
06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
great pics there!!!

Vulture
06-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah, nice to the mid west represented. Seems like most ghost towns were mining towns that crapped out but farmers hit hard times too.

Thanks.

<

Leyla
03-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah, nice to the mid west represented. Seems like most ghost towns were mining towns that crapped out but farmers hit hard times too.

Thanks.

<

Hi, I'm brand new in here. Searching for Orum Nebraska. Would like to know if anyone is left from our family. My greatgrandmother was born in Omaha Nebraska in 1890. A town was called Orum after our family. Would love to know about the town - just read about ghost towns and feel sad about it. Don't know if anyone in here can help me get further with this. Regards Leyla in Denmark :)

bad bob
03-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Hi, I'm brand new in here. Searching for Orum Nebraska. Would like to know if anyone is left from our family. My greatgrandmother was born in Omaha Nebraska in 1890. A town was called Orum after our family. Would love to know about the town - just read about ghost towns and feel sad about it. Don't know if anyone in here can help me get further with this. Regards Leyla in Denmark :)

Here's a satellite view of Orum (west of Blair on SR91): http://www.satelliteviews.net/cgi-bin/g.cgi?fid=831904&state=NE&ftype=ppl

Also Google: orum nebraska (small letters) and check out any of the links that may appeal to you.