PDA

View Full Version : New Guy (Same Questions! haha) Illinois/Midwest Locations

Georges98
11-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Hey all!

Im George, live outside of Chicago (In Cook County, Schiller Park) and have been browsing here for a while, lots of fun reads, now im ready to get out there and explore.

Ive done some more urban exploration (Old factories, mills etc.) but wanna get out and see some ghost towns/sites. I love to travel so anything that would be a good weekend trip from NE Illinois is great, what would yall recommend? I can understand not wanting to share with a new guy too, as you dont know who I am, and thats totally ok, I would hesitate too, I dont want to see our history ruined. (Theres too much gone already!)

I have a 4x4 truck as well (1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L (360) Automatic, Regular Cab, long bed)

Thanks!

George

Darin
11-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the forum, George!

Georges98
11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Thank you very much!

I can see how you can lose a lot of time on here....... haha

Darin
11-22-2011, 10:48 PM
I lose track of time a lot while on here as there is sooo much to see and take in from our fellow members who post up their travels. :D

Tsarevna
12-01-2011, 04:38 AM
Hey George, welcome!

Always nice to see the preservation-minded join up. How far are you willing to travel? Ive never been to Illinois, but if you give us an idea of where you can roam, more folks could suggest things for you.

teds280z
12-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi George. Welcome to GT.com. One suggestion I have is I get the Bookmark atlas for the area you will be going to. I found it to be a help here in the west. The library and searching for old mining camps and towns. I believe up there logging camps, indian villages may also help you.

Rattler
12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Welcome! I could point you to a few of interest here in Michigan. Head to the UP here though and there is enough stuff of interest to keep you busy for weeks.

Georges98
01-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Havent been on in a while, just got a new job with BNSF Railway, in Galesburg, Ill. Totally excited! haha

Thanks for the welcomes, and those UP sites would be awesome!

George

DiddleySquat
02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
I just got back from a drive to Illinois (Effingham) and stopped to take some photos in Missouri. This old motel in Kingdom City, Missouri seems to be iconic to a lot of people. Just Google the name - "Lays Motor Lodge" - and lots of fun things come up. It's just about a mile north of exit 145 on I-70 - on the old Route 40. I guess you could call the town a ghost town because what seems to have been the old downtown is now a nostalgia museum (and very interesting!). The motel is just east of the Route 40-County Road 201 intersection.

Here's the old Lays Motor Lodge as it appears today:

And here's a postcard for sale online which was sent in 1960, probably a few years after the picture was taken.

http://www.cardcow.com/images/set228/card00286_fr.jpg

If you want to have some fun, read this "consumer review (http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Lays.Motor.Lodge.573-642-7755)" of the motel written late last year (scroll down a screen). Somebody had some fun with this!

-DS