PDA

View Full Version : Turret, Colorado

Ghosttowns.com
02-28-2000, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Rich U.

: Having visited Turret, Colorado I was searching the web for some information, and came across this item: The owner of Turret (who is from Iowa) is subdividing the Turret townsite and selling land for folks to build their cabins amongst the remaining standing buildings. You can read about it at

: heartoftherockiesre.com/turret. Take a look at the plat map: it shows the original plat with the re-plat superimposed. Yet another ghost town lost to development.

Ghosttowns.com
02-29-2000, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Rob

: Rich, I saw that website also, and I too was dissapointed. I first saw Turret in 1975 when I was 12 years old, and that started my love for ghost towns. I saw Turret again in 1996, and it was surprisingly intact. It is definitely a very beautiful setting. I was definitely saddened when I saw that article you mentioned. It is definitely the end for a great ghost town.

: : Having visited Turret, Colorado I was searching the web for some information, and came across this item: The owner of Turret (who is from Iowa) is subdividing the Turret townsite and selling land for folks to build their cabins amongst the remaining standing buildings. You can read about it at

: : heartoftherockiesre.com/turret. Take a look at the plat map: it shows the original plat with the re-plat superimposed. Yet another ghost town lost to development.

Ghosttowns.com
06-06-2001, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Todd

: : Rich, I saw that website also, and I too was dissapointed. I first saw Turret in 1975 when I was 12 years old, and that started my love for ghost towns. I saw Turret again in 1996, and it was surprisingly intact. It is definitely a very beautiful setting. I was definitely saddened when I saw that article you mentioned. It is definitely the end for a great ghost town.

: : : Having visited Turret, Colorado I was searching the web for some information, and came across this item: The owner of Turret (who is from Iowa) is subdividing the Turret townsite and selling land for folks to build their cabins amongst the remaining standing buildings. You can read about it at

: : : heartoftherockiesre.com/turret. Take a look at the plat map: it shows the original plat with the re-plat superimposed. Yet another ghost town lost to development.

: Had you done a bit MORE research you may have found that there are covenants in place to protect ALL of the old structures, and to restrict new construction to a minimum. It is also required that any new construction be in the same styles, colors, materials (within reason) etc. as the original buildings. Turret is not being lost to development, it's being saved from

: the ravages of time by consciencious property owners who actually DO care about it's history and it's fate... I know, because I happen to be one of them. So any questions regarding the fate of Turret and it's rich history may be directed to me at EXCITATIONAL@hotmail.com

: Thank you.

Ghosttowns.com
04-10-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Chris Schmitt

: I am also sad about how Turret has changed. The majority of the ghost town was owned by my grandfather (70 acres). To set the record straight he was not the actual person who split Turret up into small lots to be sold. No one knows why he sold it, but I am sure that he had a good reason to sell it. My family provided the TLC to Turret from the late 1960's to the mid 90's. I have now purchased a small portion of the land back for my own family. With all that said, I the people at Heart of the Rockies Real Estate, are some of the nicest and well intentioned individuals I have met. In many ways they have done more to preserve Turret than anything else.

iamtiffa
07-14-2011, 06:53 AM
Hello...I noticed that it had been a while since you posted this about Turret, Colorado. My friend Sharon and I just went there yesterday (July 13, 2011) for the very first time. I must say that I am very impressed with it as a ghost town. It is still very very well maintained. It is also very clean there. The buildings were in great shape considering how old they are. I enjoyed the scenery and also the quietness of the place. While it is sad that they are selling some of the land of there...from what I can tell the people who have bought it over the years have stuck by the guidelines and have kept the place very nice. I would personally love to own some property in Turret. I LOVED it there and cant wait to go back!!!