PDA

View Full Version : Family road trip to Grand Canyon. Help please.

Ledesma_marisa875
12-19-2011, 06:04 AM
I am trying to plan a road trip from NJ to the Grand Canyon with my mother and two girls. One is 6 (she'll be 7 when we go) and the other is 14. We are taking a route through the northern states and going down to Arizona. I was wondering what ghost towns there were along the way. We haven't planned out the route yet but was hoping to at least see one ghost town and possibly see some pioneer era places too. Does anyone have any suggestions. They will all be greatly appreciated. Our trip will be 2 weeks and in the middle of June.

40FORDJIM
12-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Have you added up the miles for the trip? That is a long way to go and still be able to enjoy the sights along the way.

bad bob
12-21-2011, 12:20 AM
I am trying to plan a road trip from NJ to the Grand Canyon with my mother and two girls. One is 6 (she'll be 7 when we go) and the other is 14. We are taking a route through the northern states and going down to Arizona. I was wondering what ghost towns there were along the way. We haven't planned out the route yet but was hoping to at least see one ghost town and possibly see some pioneer era places too. Does anyone have any suggestions. They will all be greatly appreciated. Our trip will be 2 weeks and in the middle of June.

Couple things you can do. But first to narrow the options down, it's better to be more specific regarding the route. Northern states is fairly vague. Use a computer, or something like a RandMcNally atlas to map out your intended route. You should not have much bad weather in June, BUT if you plan alternate routes in case you do run into a summer storm, your blood pressure and fuel consumption may both be reduced.

Most of the "ghost towns" or pioneer places I believe you're looking for, are well west of the Mississippi. So using the drop-down menu from the top of this site's home page after you have a westbound route selected, look thru some of the corresponding states in our northern region, then heading toward AZ. Study the maps intensely. I used to miss numerous places of interest while travelling, simply because I failed to plan ahead. Of course I presume you'd want to take a completely different eastbound route. That essentially doubles your opportunities to take in the most sites in the alotted time.

Once you have a good primary route (both directions) myself and others can better recommend some "must see" places, as well as other places of interest, based on personal experiences. Course, these are only MY ideas. Another member(s) may choose to suggest places based on the info you've already provided. :)

Mikejts
12-21-2011, 12:09 PM

I travel several times a year between Colorado and AZ so I am sure I can find you a few Ghost towns along the way. A mix of old and new. Or rather tourist types like Idaho Springs and Georgetown right on the freeway (I70) and then some more fun places like Leadville, Ouray, Silverton, with stops for place like Animas Forks. Send your planned route if you have one and I will see if I can divert you a little without going miles out of the way. You should really get to the four corners area with maybe a stop at Mesa Verde to see some Indian ruins and a trip through Monument valley.