PDA

View Full Version : Google Map Errors

DiddleySquat
02-24-2012, 11:43 AM
I just returned from a road trip and took the old route 40 from western Kansas into eastern Colorado. I was astonished at how wrong the Google map was about some locations on that road. If you look at the stretch of road between (but not including) Oakley, Kansas and Sharon Springs, Kansas, you'll see a number of tiny towns along the way - ghost towns, all. I'm not surprised that many images are out-of-date. But the map is also wrong. And the road signs tell a different story.

If you look at the right, there's an "X" where a more close-up view of the map would show a town called "Baker." There is no Baker. That spot is actually the location of the town of Monument. Farther down the road (going to the left, towards Colorado) you see the name Monument. In reality that's the unincorporated town of Page City, which doesn't even show up on Google. Winona and Wallace are at the locations on the map.

The photos are also out of date. Below is a Google "street view" image of an old church in Monument (aka "Baker") that shows it standing pretty much intact. It's located at the corner of 6th and Monument. By the time I drove through the town, the roof had collapsed. I don't know when that happened, of course. But it didn't look that recent.

Here are the photos from Google.

And here are pictures taken on the 22nd of February of the same place.

DiddleySquat
02-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Here's another example.... I rely on Google maps to hunt for these forgotten towns whenever I'm going on the road. And I never would have found these if not for Google's "street view" that gives an idea what a town looks like. But names of places, at least, have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'll trust the actual "city limits" road signs over what shows up on Google's maps.

Below is an image which appears when you select "street view" for a place on the map called Monument, which is along old Route 40 in western Kansas. In fact, Monument is a few miles east of this location. And while the image label says "Winona," Winona is actually another town a few miles west. The location is actually Page City, Kansas - and it's thoroughly deserving of the label ghosttown.

This is the Google map "street view" image that shows a small stucco house across the street from old concrete grain elevators:

And below is a photo I took of the same house - from a different angle - that includes the road sign for Page City, Kansas.

Tsarevna
03-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Very true what you say about the inaccuracy of online maps. Google isn't the only one with serious errors.

Garmin maps (and directions!) can be just as odd. I was told once to "turn right" onto a "road" near Kernville, Oregon. The "road" was a can al ! And that's what showed on the map, with directions for me to get there plotted out the length of the whole waterway. :eek:

With google at least, there seems (if I recall correctly) a way to submit error reports. Go to the help section in google maps and see what you can find. I'm sure they'd appreciate the updates you give them.

Be sure to get the long/lat coords of the places you visit too. When memory fails you, at least you have the coords to recall where these towns were. When all of the buildings are gone, and the maps possibly still inaccurate...your coords just might be the only sure way of remembering the correct locations of places!

(I like to use "Compass" app on my Droid phone to geo-tag ghost town sites.)

bishop13
03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
With google at least, there seems (if I recall correctly) a way to submit error reports. Go to the help section in google maps and see what you can find. I'm sure they'd appreciate the updates you give them.

Yep, on the bottom right hand side of the map, there's a "Report a problem" link. Very easy process and they're very responsive.

DiddleySquat
03-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Yep, on the bottom right hand side of the map, there's a "Report a problem" link. Very easy process and they're very responsive.

Thanks. I never thought they'd respond. But I'll see if Google will fix the mistake.

:cool:

gladeparkflyer
03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
You should see some of the weirdness yahoo maps shows in its satellite map imagery. Especially out here in the mostly roadless parts of the 4 corners region.
I swear you can make out pixellated areas that appear intentionally obscured.... Makes me want to gas up the dirtbike and go see a few of those pixellated
spots, just out of curiosity