PDA

View Full Version : Video of Henry River Ghost Town made famous by "Hunger Games"



Mike Woodfin
04-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Apparently the buildings are posted but you can see the town from the road. The town is north of Charlotte about 75 miles.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKth5ebnojo&feature=player_embedded#!

Vulture
04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
This is really neat, I liked it!

Thanks for putting this up.

<

Mike Woodfin
04-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Here's another video from YouTube that shows another perspective of the town only. In the movie they made it out to be a coal town however, Henry River was actually a planned community around a large Textile Mill. The mill burned down and the property is posted but looks like you can drive right through. Happy GT'n
Mike


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4puwU9GgBM&amp;feature=related

Mike Woodfin
04-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Here are a couple of Henry River pictures with the treatment by the movie studio. Pretty cool look for the old town.

74577458

Mike Woodfin
04-03-2012, 01:48 PM
History of Henry River Mill Village

Sitting on the eastern edge of Burke County is a preserverationist's dream, a diamond in the rough, the Henry River mill village. Built as a planned community, the Henry River mill village was a self-contained complex with its own mill, dam, water and fire-protection systems, and company store. In later years the Henry River village gained amenities such as walkways, terraced green spaces, and fieldstone retaining walls. Today most of the village's original buildings remain sited along a small gorge of the Henry River, west of the Catawba County line, the most intact and unaltered example of an early industrial environment in Burke County.

In 1904 Michael Erastus Rudisill laid out the mill and village on a 1500-acre tract, chosen for its hydropower potential. Rudisill, along with his brother Albert Pinkney Rudisill, built the village and engineered the dam and mill building along with David William Aderholdt, Miles R. Rudisill, and Marcus Lafayette Aderholdt. The mill was incorporated as the Henry River Manufacturing Company. The company manufactured fine cotton yarns. Beginning in 1905, a 30-foot reinforced concrete dam was constructed with a three-story brick mill building. The mill building burned in 1977.

The residential area of the village consisted of approximately 35 small worker's cottages. Twenty-one are standing today. These 1-1/2 story duplex houses were laid out along the steep contours of the river's northern bank. The workers lived in boarding houses or workers' cottages built by the company, which were leased at nominal fees.

Around 1907 the four mill owners, the Rudisills and the Aderholdts, built new homes for themselves just outside the village. Although one burned in 1935, three of the four houses are still standing today.

Since the loss of the main mill building, the centerpiece of the village today is the two-story brick company store building. This building served as a mill office with the upper floor used as a school room and for church services from 1907-1917. In 1912 a steel truss bridge engineered by the Rudisills was built across the Henry River. When built, it was reputed to be the highest bridge in the state. During the 1916 flood, this bridge was one of the few not destroyed. In 1960 a new concrete bridge replaced the steel truss bridge.

The Henry River Mill originally ran on waterpower. In 1914 a steam plant was installed then in 1926, the mill was converted to electric power. The mill was closed for several years and was purchased by Wade K. Shepherd in 1976. Equipment and materials were stored in the mill building when it burned in 1977.
-copied-