PDA

View Full Version : Historic Jails

Ghosttowns.com
03-08-2000, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Emily M. Matthias

: I am part of a project to photograph, catalogue and survey the historic jails of the United States. I am seeking any information you might have access to (location, stories, tips, etc). Thank you.

: Emily M. Matthias

: Historic Jail Study Project

: Assistant Director

Ghosttowns.com
03-10-2000, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Ken Johnson

: I might offer the following suggestion. On some of the historic forts that I have seen, the brig seems to be best preserved. I would start there.

: : I am part of a project to photograph, catalogue and survey the historic jails of the United States. I am seeking any information you might have access to (location, stories, tips, etc). Thank you.

: : Emily M. Matthias

: : Historic Jail Study Project

: : Assistant Director

Ghosttowns.com
03-11-2000, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Tom Wood

: : I am part of a project to photograph, catalogue and survey the historic jails of the United States. I am seeking any information you might have access to (location, stories, tips, etc). Thank you.

:

: I have visited several ghost towns and near ghost towns with jails. Among these towns are Bodie, CA, Rhyolite, NV, Belmont, NV, Pioche, NV, Bannack, MT and South Pass City, WY. I have also visited Silver City, ID which has the ruins of the former Owyhee County Courthouse and Jail.

Ghosttowns.com
03-12-2000, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by cody

: There is a origi**** Jail in the Cityt of eureka Utah that has bars on the door, it is a outside jail, just a small building on the backside of the old sheriffs office

: : I might offer the following suggestion. On some of the historic forts that I have seen, the brig seems to be best preserved. I would start there.

: : : I am part of a project to photograph, catalogue and survey the historic jails of the United States. I am seeking any information you might have access to (location, stories, tips, etc). Thank you.

: : : Emily M. Matthias

: : : Historic Jail Study Project

: : : Assistant Director

Ghosttowns.com
03-31-2000, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Chris

: Hi Emily! I am a "Retired" Deputy Marshal from Arizona...I know of several Historic Jails throughout Arizona, along with their history. Let me know what you would like and I will mail photos, stories and what ever else you could use...Chris

Ghosttowns.com
04-07-2000, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Tammy Valentine

: Volcano Calif has a jail the two men that built it was the first customers of the jail

Ghosttowns.com
04-07-2000, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by tammy

Ghosttowns.com
04-07-2000, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by tammy

: : : check out volcano california its a small town outside of jackson ca, the story goes that the two men that built the jail were the first customers

Ghosttowns.com
07-14-2000, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by M

Ghosttowns.com
07-14-2000, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Michael Lengyel

: Good afternoon,

: We are in the process of evaluating the condition and potential reuse of a small jail located in central Virginia. I am presently looking for reference material on companies that built standardized jails and at the turn of the century. The jail in question was built by a company located in St. Louis MO. Our goal is to provide information necessary to stabilize the building and secondly to spark the interest in completing a restoration project. Please help we have a small window of opportunity

: Thank you

: Michael Lengyel

Ghosttowns.com
09-30-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by james p

Airborne Ranger
01-29-2007, 01:15 PM
The Lorton facility is a good place to visit as its roots go back to the turn of the 19th/20th Century. Located a couple of miles off I-95 south of Washington DC in Lorton Virginia. It saw use as a reformatory, penitentiary and max security. Some of the buildings will be preserved, some will not and some have already been torn down.

Tsarevna
01-31-2007, 10:45 AM
When I was a child (in the 1980's) my father took me to Beale Air Force Base (near Sacramento, CA) and pointed out to me a cluster of small buildings, standing alone on the horizon. To me they looked like a campground toilet and shower facility in the distance, but he said that they were jails for holding Japanese prisoners of WWII.

:( Unfortunately, I believe the jails have been recently torn down, but foundations may remain. Probably there exist some historical photographs somewhere on the base, and might be worth looking into.

npbb4
03-09-2016, 10:54 PM
i know it is out the way for most people in the west, there or several in texas. el paso comes to mine to start with and in thatarea is a lot of other historical towns to look for such things. i am in central texas and the town of hubbard,texas has a large chunk of concreate with bars on it that was a jail, behind old building in town, try there chamber.centerville texas may still may be using there old jail on the square.freestone county has made a museum out of theirs. i was in s texas working a year ago and again in the lardeo area is several. might could check either differene chamber of comerence to get better leads and pictures.

hangeremerald
04-29-2017, 04:55 PM
I find this one very interesting and informative...

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/13/travel/world-famous-prisons/

hangeremerald
05-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Anyone who knows the name of these two men for history purposes? Thanks!