PDA

View Full Version : CCC Camps

Froggy
07-21-2012, 11:45 AM
This map give you a 'new' spot to check out in your area.:rolleyes:

The Civilian Conservation Corps

America was in the grip of the Great Depression when Franklin Delano Roosevelt was inaugurated in March of 1933. More than twenty-five percent of the population was unemployed, hungry, and without hope. The New Deal programs instituted bold changes in the federal government that energized the economy and created an equilibrium that helped to bolster the needs of citizens.

INDEX OF CAMP LISTINGS BY STATE

http://www.ccclegacy.org/camp_lists.htm

CCC Camp Listing

http://www.arscse.org/qCCC_SCScamps.htm

GaryB
07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the link.

I sometimes wonder if something like the CCC wouldn't be of use today. Lots of unemployed able-bodied people out there and lots of infrastructure going to crap everywhere.

LV Caretaker
07-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the link.

I sometimes wonder if something like the CCC wouldn't be of use today. Lots of unemployed able-bodied people out there and lots of infrastructure going to crap everywhere.

I've often thought that myself.

Thank you, Froggy, for the link too.

Kathy

Wolfgang
07-26-2012, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the link.

I agree. And we may see that in the future as the economic situation continues to deteriorate ( with some up and down fluctuations along the way).

I used to do a lot of hiking on Mt San Jacinto above Palm Springs. I found some downed telegraph wire up there and insulators on some trees. Doing research about this I discovered that there had been a CCC camp up on the mountain. A ranger station, the stone cabin up near the summit, and much of the improvement of the trails were done by the workers at that camp. The telegraph line connected the camp with Idlewild.

hamellr
07-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Very nice! Lots of good places to explore here in Oregon!

campp
07-29-2012, 03:04 PM
My father-in-law worked in two CCC camps before the war, in Illinois. He is living with us and doing pretty well. He still has his CCC-issue footlocker.

He talks about the CCC occasionally, and has very good things to say about the program.

Mike Woodfin
07-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the link.

A bit more pessimistic on this one: I'm just afraid today that if the government gives money away for doing nothing, why would the same people make the choice to work for it. The CCC days were a different breed of people.

Wolfgang
07-30-2012, 04:32 AM
A bit more pessimistic on this one: I'm just afraid today that if the government gives money away for doing nothing, why would the same people make the choice to work for it. The CCC days were a different breed of people.

Just a few days ago here in California . . on the news . . . growers loosing some of their crop due to shortage of pickers . . . but lots of unemployed getting paid to not work and will not seek jobs that are available. Terrible situation.