PDA

View Full Version : Pump House along Oracle Control Road

matt@expaz
07-29-2012, 08:24 AM
I recently took a trip down the Oracle Control Road (commonly known as the back way up Mt. Lemmon) near Tucson, Arizona. The Oracle Control Road has an interesting history. This road was the first road to the top of the mountain. It was a very narrow and winding road. The people of Tucson and Oracle enjoyed heading up to the cool pines of Mt. Lemmon in the summer to escape the desert heat. So much so, that there were big traffic jams in the summer months. In the 1920's, they installed a wooden "control" near Oracle. This allowed traffic only in one direction for a few hours, then traffic would switch directions. In the 1950's, the southern access was completed allowing easier access from Tucson. During the trip along the Control Road we found a couple of rarely used trails to explore. Along one of these roads we discovered what I am calling a pump house. It appeared there was a large well next to it and what looked like a water heater closet (what that was needed for, I don't know).
As we turned the corner to look inside the water closet, we saw this big guy hanging out with his head through the pipe in the wall.

We also found a nearby shed and other foundations that contained some mining core samples.
Cat-Dog decided to check it out.

Not sure how old these places were, but they were pretty cool. You can find more information about the Oracle Control Road at: http://www.experience-az.com/adventures/4wd/controlrd/controlrd.html

Spindrift
07-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Nice pics, very cool pic of the snake coming through the hole in wall. Thanks for the Oracle Control Rd link

Froggy
08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Cool
Thanks for the info and pics