PDA

View Full Version : Apache Camp, Arizona

matt@expaz
08-01-2012, 04:12 PM
A few weekends ago some friends and I decided to try and find Apache Camp. This is an old mining camp on the "backside" of Mt. Lemmon along the old Oracle Control Road. It's also noted on the 1904 Arizona Topo map (Tucson area). The camp is about 1/3 of a mile off the main road. Access is via FR4421 and is 4WD only, though a person with a high-clearance 2WD can drive the control road, park at the top of the FR and easily walk down.

All that's left (that I could see) were a few stone foundations, but it well worth the visit. Here's some pictures from the trip.

For a full trip report, information, directions, GPS coordinates, pictures and video, see http://www.experience-az.com/adventures/4wd/apachecamp/apachecamp.html

JEC
08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Nice pictures. I'd love to get back up in that area. I drove up the north side of Mt. Lemmon back in 1982 in my father-in-laws FJ40. I remember it was beautiful country. I've spent a fair bit of time in Oracle over the last handful of years but it was to help care for the in-laws so I didn't get out of town much.

That is one crazy caterpillar(?).